• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello one and all! Looking forward to being part of this community as a long term sufferer of depression and retired mental health nurse.

K

kitty Kay

Right now though, I have a question. (Apologies in advance for a very lengthy post) A good, longtime friend of mine with longstanding mental health issues (from age 16 to 60) and, hence, long term and ongoing engagement with psychiatric services in Glasgow .. was advised recently by his psychiatrist that he would be reducing his appointments from 3 months to yearly!
Now my pal is worried about this for a few reasons, one of which is that his mental state has not changed or improved significantly to merit this reduced contact .. nor is it likely to do so. He is also concerned about how this enforced reduction in contact with psychiatric services will be (mis)interpreted by the DWP from the point of his entitlement to ESA and PIP.
He has asked me to accompany him to his next appointment with his psychiatrist tomorrow (Wed 21 April) afternoon so that I can support him in challenging this decision. I know this is rather last minute, but is anybody aware of psychiatrists ‘cutting’ their caseloads because of the undoubted pressures on mental health services as a result of, in particular, the COVID pandemic?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
I'm sorry to hear about your friends experience.
My appointments are meant to be 3 monthly, they are now 5 monthly.
I need the support as well.
It is so kind of you helping your friend.
You could try asking an advocate for advice as well.
Good luck.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Is this cut because of covid? Would virtual appointments be helpful? My appointments are virtual.

Karmaman

Karmaman

@kitty Kay The cuts were happening before Covid. I was having my appointments cut from three months then continually being cancelled until I'd have a six month wait until my next appointment. I can only imagine that Covid will have drastic consequences on those needing to see their p-doc right now. It doesn't help when your challenging a DWP decision. Not that they took any consideration into my notes from the doctor. I hope the outcome goes well.

2Much2Feel

Wow. I didn't realise they were doing this, is it all over the UK? What a time to cut back on mental health access. I'm sorry, and you do sound like a really good friend!

Wishbone

Wishbone

What conditions do the people have that have to have three month appointments?

S

Supermansgirlfriend

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Right now though, I have a question. (Apologies in advance for a very lengthy post) A good, longtime friend of mine with longstanding mental health issues (from age 16 to 60) and, hence, long term and ongoing engagement with psychiatric services in Glasgow .. was advised recently by his psychiatrist that he would be reducing his appointments from 3 months to yearly!
Now my pal is worried about this for a few reasons, one of which is that his mental state has not changed or improved significantly to merit this reduced contact .. nor is it likely to do so. He is also concerned about how this enforced reduction in contact with psychiatric services will be (mis)interpreted by the DWP from the point of his entitlement to ESA and PIP.
He has asked me to accompany him to his next appointment with his psychiatrist tomorrow (Wed 21 April) afternoon so that I can support him in challenging this decision. I know this is rather last minute, but is anybody aware of psychiatrists ‘cutting’ their caseloads because of the undoubted pressures on mental health services as a result of, in particular, the COVID pandemic?
Welcome to the crew honey 😘

Karmaman

Karmaman

@Wishbone Usually, unless it's an emergency to get an appointment the gp has to consider it serious enough for you to have a hospital appointment. I'm not sure how outpatients can be assured that they'll get their 3 month appointment (that are usually cancelled to a later date anyway.) I think if you seem to just have depression or anxiety then your low priority.

Sash1

Sash1

My sessions with my Psychologist ended due to the waiting list and backlog of people needing help and support with MH issues. She wasn't happy about our sessions having to end, and was overwhelmed at the list of clients, felt bad for her, as I was obviously still under the MH recovery team, but she didn't have a
say in it. They're rushing people through, assessing the most in need and letting the rest of us get on with it..

And coincidentally, the sessions ended as I was filling in my PIP form, so, I'm sure the DWP will see me as none essential and refuse my claim..........devious lot at the DWP.