• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello...new here

S

Sleepless57

I've had anxiety since I went throughright menopause, most of it health related. It goes away for a while and then comes back, and most of it is health related. I live alone and it usually happens during the night when everyone else I know is asleep. So I thought I might be able to find some kindred spirits here.

L

Lidabe

Hi sleepless.
I also suffer badly from anxiety and I think it is perimenopause related. I've been on HRT for a month now, but it's not making a difference so far. I've been told it could take up to 3 months. I've also been prescribed a whole load of anti anxiety meds that are not working for me and that I'm trying do get off. It's been a real struggle.
I suffer from insomnia too. I'm usually up for the day around 3. I wake up then and can't get back off to sleep.
Are you on HRT, or any medication for your anxiety?

S

Sleepless57

No. I decided I didn't want HRT, that I would suck it up and do it naturally, and honestly, the anxiety has been the worst of it. I did go through a period of depression but then I got a summons to serve on the grand jury in my county and thought "ok, here's your wake up call. You can do this. " and I did! But the anxiety has been debilitating at times, and even though half of my brain knows I'm not having a heart attack, the other half refuses to even entertain the fact.

Like you, I often wake up in very early; this week it's been 4 am and I can't go back to sleep.

I'm not a huge fan of prescription medicine. I had some terrible experiences with doctors trying to prescribe arthritis medication when I told them I thought I was going through menopause, and I had one decide that I had vertigo and wanted to give me something for that even though it wasn't even a symptom. So now I'm completely wary of western medicine when it comes to menopause and anxiety related anything.

I did take an OTC supplement called Mendapause and that helped a lot, and I took vitamin B as well, but I've been off of those for years.

I've been debating on CBD oil, but I don't need something every day. Sometimes I'll go a month or more without an anxiety attack and then boom!! I'll have 2 or 3 inside of a 2 week period with one of them lasting 24 hours or more.

So I'm struggling as well.

A lot of what helps my anxiety is having others to talk with and not feeling so alone, and I think this forum will be a huge help with that side of things.

L

Lidabe

I have been constantly anxious for 4 months and it's exhausting.
I wish that I had not accepted the medication so readily now because I don't think I'd be in this position if I had. I was just desperate and looking for a quick fix. Unfortunately copious amounts of strong medication was not the answer and now I feel trapped on it because it is so awful to come off.
I have done some research into the menopause and anxiety and it seems to be common. I'm hoping that the HRT will start to make a difference to me.
I agree that it helps to connect to others going through the same thing. I certainly feel less alone since I joined this forum.

S

Sleepless57

I have been constantly anxious for 4 months and it's exhausting.
I wish that I had not accepted the medication so readily now because I don't think I'd be in this position if I had. I was just desperate and looking for a quick fix. Unfortunately copious amounts of strong medication was not the answer and now I feel trapped on it because it is so awful to come off.
I have done some research into the menopause and anxiety and it seems to be common. I'm hoping that the HRT will start to make a difference to me.
I agree that it helps to connect to others going through the same thing. I certainly feel less alone since I joined this forum.

I sincerely hope that you start to see results from the HRT soon!

K

Keesha

No. I decided I didn't want HRT, that I would suck it up and do it naturally, and honestly, the anxiety has been the worst of it. I did go through a period of depression but then I got a summons to serve on the grand jury in my county and thought "ok, here's your wake up call. You can do this. " and I did! But the anxiety has been debilitating at times, and even though half of my brain knows I'm not having a heart attack, the other half refuses to even entertain the fact.

Like you, I often wake up in very early; this week it's been 4 am and I can't go back to sleep.

I'm not a huge fan of prescription medicine. I had some terrible experiences with doctors trying to prescribe arthritis medication when I told them I thought I was going through menopause, and I had one decide that I had vertigo and wanted to give me something for that even though it wasn't even a symptom. So now I'm completely wary of western medicine when it comes to menopause and anxiety related anything.

I did take an OTC supplement called Mendapause and that helped a lot, and I took vitamin B as well, but I've been off of those for years.

I've been debating on CBD oil, but I don't need something every day. Sometimes I'll go a month or more without an anxiety attack and then boom!! I'll have 2 or 3 inside of a 2 week period with one of them lasting 24 hours or more.

A lot of what helps my anxiety is having others to talk with and not feeling so alone, and I think this forum will be a huge help with that side of things.
Welcome to the forum Sleepless.
I also chose to treat menopausal symptoms naturally. None of that HRT for me. I’m not really a fan of conventional medicine either however will use it if needed. I used evening primrose, black cohash and red raspberry to treat my hormonal change. And what a change it is. 😩

Congratulations on doing your part in getting summoned to court. It’s something I could never do so didn’t.

Thanks for the tip on the over the counter supplement. I’m a fan of cannabis derivatives as well.

I hope the forum helps with your anxiety.

S

Sleepless57

Welcome to the forum Sleepless.
I also chose to treat menopausal symptoms naturally. None of that HRT for me. I’m not really a fan of conventional medicine either however will use it if needed. I used evening primrose, black cohash and red raspberry to treat my hormonal change. And what a change it is. 😩

Congratulations on doing your part in getting summoned to court. It’s something I could never do so didn’t.

Thanks for the tip on the over the counter supplement. I’m a fan of cannabis derivatives as well.

I hope the forum helps with your anxiety.

Thank you so much!

M

Miss no more lost

Can’t imagine how hard it’s been for you! how are you coping day to day?

S

Sleepless57

Can’t imagine how hard it’s been for you! how are you coping day to day?

That was 10 years ago, and I was fortunate. I found a good supplement and I had a spectacular doctor who was both an MD and a board certified homeopath. Between the supplements I found and the additional ones she recommended, my symptoms became very manageable.

The anxiety that developed during menopause is the only thing that lingers but it's nothing like it was then.

So it really wasn't that bad once I found help. However the 2 years prior to that were an absolute nightmare. I wouldn't wish my menopause experience on anyone!