• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello. New here. Need reassurance

Z

Zachtt92

Hello all,
Been going through a lot these past few months.

I've been dealing with a lot of OCD thoughts. Thoughts that leave me feeling hopeless. One thought that I've been having lately is deep thinking about objects in general. For example, a car is just made up of stuff from the earth. Therefore it is not really anything at all, but dirt etc. Those thoughts are similar with other things as well..houses, trees, appliances etc. Its hard to enjoy things in life, especially when I get these thoughts. I start breaking things down so far that I am not even able to enjoy them. What makes a house pleasurable? It's just lumber etc....then the deeper thinking goes on.
It brings feelings of hopelessness....

I am currently on my second week of Sertraline, and I am hoping to get some relief soon.

Any feedback appreciated

S

Skyblue

Hello. Welcome :) this has been a safe space for me and l hope it is for you - and the meds properly kick in.
Take care x

EEB

EEB

I've felt this way before, I understand how much it sucks. Well, I don't understand in exacts, but no one really does. But I do know that it's scary and painful to never see things whole, only broken down. Some weird cognitive dissonance between what you're supposed to see and what you actually see. It hurts, and I'm sorry that you're inside of that hurt.

R

RayHendrix

Sertraline can worsen these things in the first few weeks but I should get better soon so hold on ;) And if not, contact your therapist and you will probably switch medication. You will find your relief :hug:

T

Tom2020

hi. I feel the same way sometimes. I once watched a long science fiction documentary on how earth would just burn up in flames in 1000 years. I spent the next hour feeling negative and how we are all nothing and everything we build, create, leave behind will be for nothing. It made my head hurt. I told family about it and they said who cares we won't be around. I thought nobody thinks deep into things like this. I am into architecture (you know, cool old buildings that our ancestors left behind), so I think about this normally. But OCD made it worse. It got worse with politics and 2020 election. When Biden won, I thought this country is going to die. Nothing matters anymore, We will probably be starting a new war. I felt negative for an entire month. It was all I thought about. Probably because I am extremely political. But OCD made it worse.

I wish I can help you with information on medication, but I never tried any. Although I do remember a doctor telling me that medication will not work right away. I do not remember how long. Maybe one month? It takes time to kick in. So expect it to start working - if this information is true, do not remember exactly what doc said.

I can tell you what I do to stop the thoughts about anything: I hang with family, friends. I do things I enjoy. These thoughts are like squatters (a little humor i use on my OCD thoughts). Try to avoid the thoughts completely. As i say, kick them out mentally. They do not belong here. Your mind is not their home. I mentally fight to get rid of them. I do this every time any thought tries to consume my life. It works temporarily, not permanently. You can do these mental rituals till the medication takes effect. Good luck 👍

Z

Zachtt92

Sertraline can worsen these things in the first few weeks but I should get better soon so hold on ;) And if not, contact your therapist and you will probably switch medication. You will find your relief :hug:
It sure does feel worse lately....