• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Hello. Nervous but willing to try.

S

Solihull_boy:)

Am struggling a little to get cheerful... I have a great job, good family and have no real reason for not being chipper. Have tried Citalopram and am now trying Venlafaxine, counselling, exercise - you name it.

Took me two years to accept it... and I'm not happy about talking on a forum but I'm running out of ideas... need some advice...

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Solihull Boy, welcome to the forum. You'll find a friendly bunch of people here who are good to chat with. There's certainly plenty of people with depression - me being one who can empathise with your current experience. As Dollit says perfectly elsewhere 'We can't work miracles here but we do support each other.'

S

Thanks

Just felin a bit isolated...

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Yeh, it's also seems a bit quiet in here tonight which doesn't help. How long have you been struggling and how are you finding the venlafaxine (one of my drugs)?

S

Don't know

I don't think any of them are really helping me. I am drinking most nights 3/4 beers to settle down after work - which I am not comfortable with. I struggle with my energy levels and am my self esteem is pretty poor. Something I have tried to address...

They may help some people but I just feel like a casualty for taking them.. I refused any help from the doctor including sicknotes... but I have had to accept some help as my family have been so concerned...

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I get that feeling with the drugs too and have been classed as 'drug resistant'. Nothing ever seemed to do anything, not even side effects lol. I've ended up on a cocktail of 4 drugs one of which is venlafaxine before I saw any difference so don't be too suprised if you don't see much of a difference. There's a whole debate that rages on the efficacy of drugs - all I can say is that people do find that they help and I am now (I think) one of them.

I think I went for a couple of years at work with what I now see as depression before I finaly broke down and I've not been to work since. It's good that you are seeking help before that happens!

If you have a look around the posts on the forum then you'll see that depression comes in as many flavours as there are members so it's always difficult if not impossible to provide 'advice'. Yes there are some common features and you've mentioned a lot of them in your previous posts but beyond that they're totally individual. So... the only thing I would say is to talk openly and honestly with your docs (not always an easy thing) and to listen to what they say in way of treatment and to then seriously consider what they reccomend - even if that means taking some time off work.

Getting better rarely happens on it's own (though I'm sure in some cases it does - depression can be totally unpredictable like that - great in it).

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hi Solihullboy and :welcome: to MHF. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. Look forward to seeing you around.

Rollinat

J

jamesdean

welcome

solihullboy:) honeys given u some good advice, there is a positive mental health group that meets once a month in solihull, if thats where u live

D

Dollit

Hi Solihull Boy - find a level that's comfortable for you here. A few people use the pm system as their primary means of support - I do my most open talking to people in pms - others want to talk about everything and anything on open forum.

The fact is you're feeling isolated and uncomfortable at needing help, you're always the one in charge, right? Me too and it stings to think you don't have control over your own head anymore.

Stick around, we can't change things over night but we'll sit with you and try to make some sense of it.

A

Anne1971

Founding Member
I don't think any of them are really helping me. I am drinking most nights 3/4 beers to settle down after work - which I am not comfortable with. I struggle with my energy levels and am my self esteem is pretty poor. Something I have tried to address...

They may help some people but I just feel like a casualty for taking them.. I refused any help from the doctor including sicknotes... but I have had to accept some help as my family have been so concerned...
I identify with what you are going through, my tipple of choice is usually a bottle of wine and I struggle with my energy levels and have no self esteem.

I feel my fluoxotine is just stopping me falling any further than I already am which feels pretty low and am struggle through a really bad bout at the moment.

I see you live in Solihull, me too. Been living there 7 years now

D

Dollit

Alcohol will deplete already compromised energy levels - the more you drink the less energy you will have as it's a depressant. It's better to find another way of coping.

A

Anne1971

Founding Member
Alcohol will deplete already compromised energy levels - the more you drink the less energy you will have as it's a depressant. It's better to find another way of coping.
I'm working on cutting back the alcohol, last night was the first time since Sunday I touched the wine, not great I know, but I'm working on the 'every little helps' train of thought

D

Dollit

You do realise that it can be quite dangerous to drink on top of medication? I have read a paper that gave an example a woman who died because of the interactions between alcohol and antidepressant medication. That's quite apart from the fact that you're not giving the antidepressants room to do their job. I know that sounds a little dramatic but the no drinking whilst on antidepressant warnings are there for a reason.

J

jamesdean

thank u dollit

:hijacked:4 the 1st time in mylife have i understood a little bit about alchol is a depressant i've never been able 2 understand that,could u tell me some more i had a very bad drink problem 4 many years but couldnt c the damage it was doing regards depression because it used 2 make me feel so good 2 keep getting drunk night after night, i would may b very paranoid in the mornings but because i had depression i didnt understand that the drinking in it self was any more harm ful. kinda like smoking i couldnt c the benefit until about 2 years after i gave up, i only drink occasionally now, but u r right i have even less energy after a drink

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ColdandAlone Introduce Yourself 10
R Introduce Yourself 2
DwarfRabbit Introduce Yourself 7
A Introduce Yourself 6
allycat Introduce Yourself 10