• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hello, need some urgent advice and/or experience sharing

C

cloethompson

Hello you all,

I just had a horrible day, my boyfriend was missing for 12 hours, then they've found him under a bridge, with his under wares and wet and cold, slightly injured. He is in hospital now and fine. He walked out half naked from his parent's house and I know he was stressed but I just need some advice, experience sharing, to understand his state of mind. I am not sure if he is developing a psychosis. I just know that he doesn't feel good always when he is with his dad and now I am afraid they will take him back from the hospital, as they are the main contact person. Actually his dad saw him when he was walking out almost fully naked and instead of going after him, he waited for hours to call the police. He could have died. I think his state is not stable, he might very well say tomorrow that he is ok to stay with his parents and the same thing can happen the same night. We try to get organized with his friends but I just need some help on how to communicate with him, how to help him and how to get him somewhere secure with his unstable feelings. We are both adults, now apart, just because he had to go back to his country. After going back, he has not been sleeping good and having a crisis with his colleagues, then decided to stay a bit in the country side with his parents and this happened. I appreciate any advice, any experience sharing.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hello, i'm glad you found us. You will get lots of support here. There are some people on this time of night (for me) and more will not be awake for a few hours.

Does he have a psychotic illness? Or is he extremely distressed? Depression? This might make a difference on how you will need to help him.

He is living with parents, but his dad let him out even though he knew there was something wrong. Had there been arguments? I don't know if he gets on well with them but surely as he is living with them, he must be? I don't know.

I think though that by him putting himself in dangerous situations or at least being publicly, clearly not well, the services will take him into their care either hospital or at home care. That is what would happen in the UK anyway. You don't say which country he is in.

I think from Canada, him in another country, there is very little you can do other than listen to him one the phone, and then see what he thinks would benefit him in terms of help. This is better than telling him what to do. If he has a psychotic illness, it is quite a different conversation you might have.

When someone is deep in that pit, i don't think there is much anyone can do other than to care for basic needs and let the psychiatrist do the rest, as in medication. If i were a psychiatrisit ;) i'm not, but i would give him medication to make him sleep most of the day. Just for a while. When i was in that kind of state, that is what happened to me. I was relentlessly doing that kind of thing, although not naked. I was very depressed and it takes so long to get better.

You could post him a get well soon card and write a positive supportive note in it. Maybe once a week or send something nice to eat, just a fun chocolate bar. I don't really know what to advise but from another country, i think just showing you are there and care is nice . Those long hours in bed, thinking bad thoughts, it would have been nice if my friends had just said hello or sent a card A bit of brightness in the dark.

C

cloethompson

Hey, thanks, yeah, I didn't put everything very clear I guess, because of my panic state at the moment. He doesn't live with his parents, he is in Netherlands and he just wanted to visit his parents in the country side and then this happened. I realized something was wrong and told them to go to see a doctor, they didn't get in the car and seek help... His father is denying that he has a problem. Even today he was saying that nothing is wrong with him (imagine)... And yes I am now in Canada. I didn't even look which country this forum is based in. His uncle has mental issues, I don't know what exactly, but major depression in combination with something else, I suppose. He said he was feeling euphoric and just texted me (I guess from the hospital) that it was heavy but good after all. He also said yesterdays that he is worried about computers. So I guess is more like a psychosis in the beginning or an "acid flashback" because of lots of lsd he once took a year ago. He was not taking anything for more than a year, not even smoking. But thanks, you are right, there is not much to do, I am just worried, about staying in his parents house again because the dad could take him and he can say that he is fine but then again fall into this. The problem is, his parents just won't accept the fact that he is not fine. Imagine he didn't go after him... I think the dad also has serious mental issues...

C

cloethompson

I will also sleep now to be awake in Netherlands's morning, will be posting here more tomorrow, I guess. Thanks everybody and keep sharing your thoughts...

P

Paul25011989

I suggest getting him on here to talk about it

C

cloethompson

he was not on drugs. I just suspect it might be a "acid flashback" because of the lsd amount he once took, you know it can stay and come back under stress or just out of the blue. I cannot get him here now, I think he doesn't feel comfortable with computers. But I will definitely suggest this to him. Why he was naked, I don't know. It was a warm night and he didn't dare to take his cloths on, just walked out...

C

cloethompson

I've got more news from his father... the hospital told them that he has a "light psychosis"... what does it mean? has anyone heard something like that? His father's english is not good so maybe he was trying to tell me that it is not so important or something... Can anybody guess? Do doctors call some situations as "light psychosis"?