• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello, my name is Kate. I have bipolar

K

Kate b

I had a breakdown at Christmas, had to be put in hospital for six weeks. I have children so this experience was traumatic. I hope it won't happen again. I was sent home on lithium and seroquel. Recently I came off lithium however as it was makiing me pee all the time. On seroquel 300 and my bladder is still overactive, so much so I never feel like I don't need to pee. O would really appreciate if anyone has had similar and which mental health medication have they found works well and doesn't effect the bladder so bad. It's all I can think about everyday

JessisMe

JessisMe

Welcome, Kate! I have bipolar 1 and am on Lithium
and Lamictal but have never had problems with excess peeing. I wonder if the peeing could
be attributed to other things?

K

Kate b

What do you suppose could be. Series I wonder is the urinary urge just anxiety. Off lithium now two weeks and thought that would ease it but it seems to be as bad as ever.

JessisMe

JessisMe

What do you suppose could be. Series I wonder is the urinary urge just anxiety. Off lithium now two weeks and thought that would ease it but it seems to be as bad as ever.
I have no idea. I had a lot of side effects of Lithium when I was first put on it before the dosage was adjusted but nothing was anything like that.

K

Kate b

I have no idea. I had a lot of side effects of Lithium when I was first put on it before the dosage was adjusted but nothing was anything like that.
What dose of lithium you on? Have you any experience on seroquel? Your lucky, I seem to be sensitive to medication, so drowsy in morning to

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m at 300 mg of Lithium. I started out at 700 but had slurred speech, loss of appetite, drooling, diarrhea and more side effects so my pdoc dropped me gradually down to 300 mg and the side effects went away. It seems weird that your pdoc would take you off Lithium entirely rather than adjust the dosage downward. I didn’t think excessive peeing was even a side effect of Lithium but I guess I don’t know everything. 😊

JessisMe

JessisMe

No experience with seroquel. I do see where increased urination is a side effect of Lithium. I guess doctor knows best!

K

Kate b

No experience with seroquel. I do see where increased urination is a side effect of Lithium. I guess doctor knows best!
Well now I off it two weeks and it still there, so now I feel it must be seroquel. Would be great if medication ndidnt come with side effects. How much do you take of your other medications? Ah I just how that it eases of, I'm considering giving up my morning coffee. Anything to ease the urgency

K

Kate b

Well now I off it two weeks and it still there, so now I feel it must be seroquel. Would be great if medication ndidnt come with side effects. How much do you take of your other medications? Ah I just how that it eases of, I'm considering giving up my morning coffee. Anything to ease the urgency
At 300mg is your lithium at a therapeutic dose?

JessisMe

JessisMe

At 300mg is your lithium at a therapeutic dose?
Yes. Pdoc just kept adjusting downward until the symptoms went away. I had hand tremors, could barely speak clearly, was drooling on myself...it was scary!

JessisMe

JessisMe

In addition to the Lithium I also take 150 mg of Lamictal. I’m not sure if it works or not. I don’t frel great, I don’t feel awful. I’m not manic so I guess there’s that....

K

Kate b

Yes. Pdoc just kept adjusting downward until the symptoms went away. I had hand tremors, could barely speak clearly, was drooling on myself...it was scary!
How are you keeping now? That would be terrifying. It great you are doing so well now!! I just not sure if I should mess with seroquel over pee urgency, or just accept that this is the way things are. Your side effects where much worse then mone

K

Kate b

In addition to the Lithium I also take 150 mg of Lamictal. I’m not sure if it works or not. I don’t frel great, I don’t feel awful. I’m not manic so I guess there’s that....
I know we aren't in hospital and your not manic . So I guess we have to count our blessings. I just feel fairly average, I certainly don't feel manic ,or happy but I'm not sad or depresses. Very calm and fed up with wee urgency

K

karl7

I had a breakdown at Christmas, had to be put in hospital for six weeks. I have children so this experience was traumatic. I hope it won't happen again. I was sent home on lithium and seroquel. Recently I came off lithium however as it was makiing me pee all the time. On seroquel 300 and my bladder is still overactive, so much so I never feel like I don't need to pee. O would really appreciate if anyone has had similar and which mental health medication have they found works well and doesn't effect the bladder so bad. It's all I can think about everyday
im on seroquel 800mg and have no problems with the toilet....does your pdoc say this problem is down to meds

JessisMe

JessisMe

The symptoms with the Lithium were awful until the doctor got the dosage right now I have no side effects at all. I can definitely see where the urinary urgency would be really annoying! Does your doctor know that even off the Lithium the urinary incontinence is still an issue?