Hello! Making introductions is awkward but I'm pleased to be here.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Greetings to all from Northern California, or the darkest portion of it which happens to be wherever I'm sitting at the time. :low:

From the Mental Illness Buffet, I've been served a generous helping of Major Depressive Disorder smothered in Treatment Refractory gravy, several large sides of Binge Eating Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder for pudding. That's the Crappy Meal(tm) I've got on my cafeteria tray at the moment and it didn't even come with a free toy.

Mental illness runs down both sides of my family but while everyone was invited to partake, those before me elected to pass along traumas rather than address their own. So I suppose the change will have to begin with my generation.

I've struggled with depression and anxiety my entire life but sought diagnosis and help only about 8 years ago when things got extremely dark for me. Treatment refractory/resistant depression means that my symptoms are unresponsive to conventional drug therapies (though I do get to endure their side-effects - yay) and therefore, after many capsules and tablets of various kinds and in various combinations, my current treatment is on the frontier of psychiatric medicine. :sorcerer:

It's been over a year since I started in an experimental treatment program that uses intravenous infusions of Ketamine to treat patients with MDD-TRD. My symptoms responded to the treatments and this is the first drug therapy ever that's resulted in remission. :clap: Information on this gladly given but I'm not here to advocate for the therapy or the drug, it's unproven and unrecognized by the majority in the psychiatric community.

While I'm here, I hope I can help others here who're struggling with mental illness by providing comfort and support. I also want to help others utilize therapeutic tools and skills to improve their day to day lives. That's a part of practicing compassion - a value I embrace.

It may not come through in my writing but I'm mess, just like you. I also need your support and information on what's working for people. I'd like both to come from folks in a community who get what it's like to live with an invisible, debilitating illness. That's why I'm here. Thanks for reading my super-long intro post!

- BizzArebitrary

exyz

exyz

Hello BizzArebitrary

Thanks for the introduction, we all seem to have been served crappy meals here at one time or another:D

You are very welcome here, I'm glad that your change of meds has been a help to you and I hope that it stays that way. Looking forward to seeing you around the forum and all good wishes:)

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Thank you for the welcomes, I hope to be an active member.

Hello BizzArebitrary

Thanks for the introduction, we all seem to have been served crappy meals here at one time or another:D
🤝 It's a measure of relief to know I'm not suffering in solitude.

"Welcome to McMental Illness Buffet, may I take your disorder?"

M

missme

Greetings to all from Northern California, or the darkest portion of it which happens to be wherever I'm sitting at the time. :low:

From the Mental Illness Buffet, I've been served a generous helping of Major Depressive Disorder smothered in Treatment Refractory gravy, several large sides of Binge Eating Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder for pudding. That's the Crappy Meal(tm) I've got on my cafeteria tray at the moment and it didn't even come with a free toy.

Mental illness runs down both sides of my family but while everyone was invited to partake, those before me elected to pass along traumas rather than address their own. So I suppose the change will have to begin with my generation.

I've struggled with depression and anxiety my entire life but sought diagnosis and help only about 8 years ago when things got extremely dark for me. Treatment refractory/resistant depression means that my symptoms are unresponsive to conventional drug therapies (though I do get to endure their side-effects - yay) and therefore, after many capsules and tablets of various kinds and in various combinations, my current treatment is on the frontier of psychiatric medicine. :sorcerer:

It's been over a year since I started in an experimental treatment program that uses intravenous infusions of Ketamine to treat patients with MDD-TRD. My symptoms responded to the treatments and this is the first drug therapy ever that's resulted in remission. :clap: Information on this gladly given but I'm not here to advocate for the therapy or the drug, it's unproven and unrecognized by the majority in the psychiatric community.

While I'm here, I hope I can help others here who're struggling with mental illness by providing comfort and support. I also want to help others utilize therapeutic tools and skills to improve their day to day lives. That's a part of practicing compassion - a value I embrace.

It may not come through in my writing but I'm mess, just like you. I also need your support and information on what's working for people. I'd like both to come from folks in a community who get what it's like to live with an invisible, debilitating illness. That's why I'm here. Thanks for reading my super-long intro post!

- BizzArebitrary
Big hug, you can win this battle, we have every faith in you

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Thank you @missme. I'm doing very well, symptoms still in remission. The difficulty I'm facing with recovery is an uncertainty of how long it can last as symptoms have retuned before. I don't mean to sound catastrophic, yet being this high off the ground means I have so much farther to fall.

M

missme

I understand so much what you are saying. Yes I'm in the same boat, I am medication free and symptom free at the moment. But I always have it in the back of my mind, that it is quite possible to have another episode, as I know bipolar (which is my diagnosis) doesn't just get cured.

L

Lora

First of all I must say your style of writing shows great talent and made me smile welcome to the forum 🌠

V

Ven8033

Welcome!
I enjoyed your introduction, I find humor is the best way to make light of heavy situations. My psychiatrist.... not so much. You know you messed up when you make a joke and your doctor doesn’t laugh and just writes something down! Haha.
I too was diagnosed with depression and anxiety very young, and a recent diagnosis of bipolar for the cherry on top. I’m looking for support and the feeling of community as well, I hope we both find what we’re looking for.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I enjoyed your introduction, I find humor is the best way to make light of heavy situations.
Thank you @Ven8033 for letting me know you enjoyed what I've shared! Humor, when employed as an opposite emotion to how I'm feeling, can be useful to me in fighting symptoms of anxiety and depression. To be able to laugh at my own misery lessens my helplessness - if only for a moment or two.

I won't pretend to know what your psychiatrist was thinking. I've been asked if I use humor to avoid feeling uncomfortable, negative emotions. I reply that avoidance can be useful in situations when we're experiencing certain strong emotions that will prevent us from acting in our best interest. This isn't the same as shutting down or turning off negative feelings all the time.

I hope you find this community supportive and gain satisfaction from contributing to it. I hope you'll continue to snicker guffaw at the cranky, melancholic voice of your depression. Each of us has some talent for surviving and living with mental illness. It's so important that we swap these to help one another locate hope within when we're unable to see it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Introduce Yourself 3
W Introduce Yourself 4
H Introduce Yourself 5
C Introduce Yourself 4
MyNameIsUseless Introduce Yourself 6