• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello, is anyone like me?

Y

Yute

Hi,

I am middle-aged and at the lowest point in my life right now. I'm not being dramatic, it's a fact. I'm not really depressed but I don't get out of bed. So I guess that is depression. I have fibromyalgia and anxiety issues. Right now the FM is full blown so that's alot of the reason I'm in bed. But my main interest at this time is finding out if there's a name for what I feel is a mental health concern. This is how I describe it. I care too much. I'm very different from anyone I've met. I am so empathetic that it's making me ill. I love people but I get so emotionally involved with everyone I meet that I get overwhelmed and then I only want my bed.
Does anyone know what I'm saying? Is there a name for this? What can I do to overcome this so I can join the living again? Thank you for reading this and for any input. I really appreciate it.

Yute

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Yute,

No answer I am afraid, but I can identify with the feeling of all you want to do is hide in bed.

I hope that you find the forum helpful

Welcome
KS
:welcome:

sallyG

sallyG

i dont know that there is a name for it but i feel similar at times. I have alarge heart and would do anything for anyonebit if i feel they get too close i tend to back right off and hide myself away...ive lost a few friends doing this..i tend to keep people at arms length now..never allowing anyone to get too close.
:welcome: to the fourm by the way...i hope you find it useful here.

Y

Yute

Thanx Keepsafe,

I think part of my problem is I'm very intuitive. I sense what others feel very strongly and it bothers me. I really wish I could find some help. I've suffered all my life with this but I've never tried to find help for this particular problem until today. There's got to be somebody out there like me.
I pick up on so much that others are oblivious to. It's no fun being so aware. I'm almost always right in my perceptions too. That's why it's hard not to take these feelings seriously.
Please if anyone can relate or knows what I can research or do to help myself, I would be so grateful! Thanx again.

P

psychiatry_sho

Hi Yute

Sorry to hear how you feel.

Coming from a medical perspective, there could be any number of reasons for what you describe, but I'm guessing , since you have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia (another condition for which the gross pathology is unknown), you must have had the usual lot of bloods/physical tests to exclude 'organic' illnesses? e.g thyroid function, cortisol levels etc? Any perimenopausal symptoms??

My friend's mother, middle aged, had a diagnosis of "ME " for years, but turned out to have Addison's, and perked right up on fludrocortisone. Not sure how that went undiagnosed for so long, bit of an embarrassment for her doctors I'm sure.

Anyway I'm sorry but I don't know if there's a specific psychiatric term for what you describe, sorry - I've literally just finished my normal hospital acute medicine stuff and done 6 months of old age psychiatry,so have a long way to go yet!! I would be keen to exclude any possible endocrine problem first, hormones are funny things, especially in middle aged ladies (no offence)! (And even men - google the "andropause").

Y

Yute

Thanx for your replies.
Psych-Sho, I am taking med for thyroid. I had a complete hysterectomy too. I wonder if some is hormonal. I need to have some new blood work done. But like I said I've been this way all my life. I just feel it's so extreme tocare about others problems so much and to be in others head so much. I can't get any rest. I gotta get some help for this. It's slowly killing me.