• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

hello i'm new too

K

Kayteegee

Founding Member
Hi there

I'm new to this forum. I've had depression in the past but the reason I'm joining the forum is because I now work in adolescent mental health and I'm keen to develop our service to meet the needs of young people. So as well as talking with the young people I work with now it would be good to hear from young people from other areas about their experiences.

Thanks

Kayteegee

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hey Katee, great to have you aboard. No doubt some adolescents might (hopefully) find this corner of cyberspace. Perhaps they will be able to thrash things out with people here in a safer and anonymous environment. I remember being a teen, and the last thing I would have wanted to discuss with my mates would have been my problems.

:welcome:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi there

I'm new to this forum. I've had depression in the past but the reason I'm joining the forum is because I now work in adolescent mental health and I'm keen to develop our service to meet the needs of young people. So as well as talking with the young people I work with now it would be good to hear from young people from other areas about their experiences.

Thanks

Kayteegee

Hello and :welcome:

K

Kayteegee

Founding Member
Hi and thanks Rorschach

Thanks for your message. Its a big concern that many young people do not have a supportive environment in which to talk over their problems. I know some prefer to keep things to themselves but I think many feel trapped by the way society and their peers in particular still view emotional wellbeing.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Well I found being a teenager very hard work. So many conflicts going on and peer pressure; I thought I was somehow outside the group and immune from its effect, but its only as an adult I realise how many of the insecurities and inadeqacies I have as an adult began to take shape during my teen years. Given that the body saves on resources by using the same chemicals as hormones and neurotransmitters, there's a whole lot going on in our bodies and minds. If I think back I was a bit like a headless chicken, except with a head and minus the wings ;)

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hello ..

thats a sterling job you're doing ...

I think probably most of us could trace the beginnings of our problems back to our teen years and as a parent of teens i can see how how a predisposition to a mental health issue can be greatly exacerbated by the pressure they are put under by friends, school , society and yes, parents and the changes going on in their own bodies...

keep up the good work :)

D

Dollit

Hi Kayteegee. I have some involvement with a young lads sports team and they talk to me but they sort of sidle up, mumble at me and then sidle away! Often it's just team stuff but other times it gets a bit more serious. They then continue to treat me like any other adult they meet. If you think there's a call for a youth forum on the site I'm sure we're all open to suggestion. :welcome: