• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello I'm new here

I

indiechick

Hi, I have found this forum whilst browsing the internet. I have suffered from depression for about 12 years, and have taken meds and not taken them. I thought it was all under control until about a year ago when a job I hated sort of flipped me over the edge. To many I'm the life and soul of the party, the loud outgoing person. To a select few, including a close friend and my husband I can be either happy or suffer from feelings of hopelessness and continual suicidal thoughts. I have never been diagnosed as bipolar (to be honest I have found gp's on the whole seem to have very little knowledge about mental health issues) My husband suggested that it was a possibility, and researching it I think he's probably onto something. I am either very focused and have loads of far fetched crazy plans, ideas and schemes or feel very low and alienated, paranoid and struggle to leave the house. Anyway I guess I just wanted to write it all down. I am not sure whether to go to the Doctor and explain how I feel, as I'm not sure whether I would be willing to take any medication based on my experiences with anti depressants which only made me worse, anyway what do you guys all think?

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I think a trip to the doctor would be a very good idea, making sure to tell him about the far-fetched plans as well as the depression. You don't say in what way the antidepressants make you worse (ie higher or lower) but it's a well-known fact the ADs can make the symptoms of bipolar worse by lifting the mood too much and sending people into a manic phase. Also in younger people, say under about 25, ADs can make people more suicidal in the early days.

I hope you can get something sorted out.

I

indiechick

Thanks for the reply

The antidepressants tended to make me feel more low, incredibly anxious and paranoid and very often suicidal. Yes I think a trip to the Doc is in order, I guess I just need some sort of confirmation of that :)

A

Affective

The antidepressants tended to make me feel more low, incredibly anxious and paranoid and very often suicidal. Yes I think a trip to the Doc is in order, I guess I just need some sort of confirmation of that :)
Antidepressants aren't the only medications that can elevate your mood. You can get Mood Stabilizers such as Lithium Carbonate that help people with depression and mood disorders.

T

teddybear2067

Hi welcome to the forum =)

It's definately a good idea to see a therapist and a doctor in a combined effort for them to diagnose you properly. Self-diagnosis is a tricky situation, and it's the cause for more problems than it's solved.

Good luck x