• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello! I'm new here, and I'd like to get some help if possible.

K

Kaori

So, the thing is I don't really know if I need to consult with a therapist about this, but I'm a bit worried about my mental state.
It started, probably, when I was 6. I started having bad, like really bad dreams, which I still remember some of till now. I kept thinking about them during the day and felt like they're getting more clearer with time, so I tried to stop thinking about them and whenever they came to mind, I'd try thinking about the stories or the animated series I watched that day. However, this turned bad later as I started making up scenarios between the imaginary characters I came to know, or scenarios that involve me with them. I started making up my original characters and writing my own stories when I was 7, however, I started talking to those characters inside my head, trying to convince myself that they are real.
I tried to write a novel when I was 9, however, the more I write, the more the more vivid the characters become in my head. I thought it was okay since they were telling me to do my best at school or reprimand me when I do something wrong. But then, I started having really messed up dreams that doesn't make sense. It stopped when I stopped writing, but my fantasies about the imaginary characters started getting out of hand and getting darker.
In middle school, I tried picking up the novel and finish it, but the dreams came back more vividly and nonsensical at all, so I abandoned the idea of completing the novel as I couldn't see its ending anymore. but the fantasies about my characters didn't stop and they only continued getting darker and uglier. I tried telling my sister about them, but she joked about how I had a sadistic character. when I told my sister about one of my fantasies, I found that I thought less about it, so I tried telling her about them, or writing them down whenever I couldn't cope up with them. but she told our parents and they found about my writings and started praising me as a writer, but I think I found their praise hard to handle, so I stopped writing again. they are making fun of me now because I stopped, saying I'm wasting my talent.Honestly, I don't think I have this kind of talent, even if I have, I don't think it deserves all this ruckus.
Also, what I find problematic now is that those fantasies intensified lately, so much that I can't concentrate on studying. And I can't write about them, since I end up finding my writing lacking.

Sorry, this was a lot of talk. But do you think there's something wrong with me. As I said my family didn't take those fantasies seriously making fun of them or saying they are part of my sadistic character, but they're so vivid that I feel them clearly with my senses except for the smell, I can't imagine it.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello Kaori, welcome to the forum.

M

Miss no more lost

So, the thing is I don't really know if I need to consult with a therapist about this, but I'm a bit worried about my mental state.
It started, probably, when I was 6. I started having bad, like really bad dreams, which I still remember some of till now. I kept thinking about them during the day and felt like they're getting more clearer with time, so I tried to stop thinking about them and whenever they came to mind, I'd try thinking about the stories or the animated series I watched that day. However, this turned bad later as I started making up scenarios between the imaginary characters I came to know, or scenarios that involve me with them. I started making up my original characters and writing my own stories when I was 7, however, I started talking to those characters inside my head, trying to convince myself that they are real.
I tried to write a novel when I was 9, however, the more I write, the more the more vivid the characters become in my head. I thought it was okay since they were telling me to do my best at school or reprimand me when I do something wrong. But then, I started having really messed up dreams that doesn't make sense. It stopped when I stopped writing, but my fantasies about the imaginary characters started getting out of hand and getting darker.
In middle school, I tried picking up the novel and finish it, but the dreams came back more vividly and nonsensical at all, so I abandoned the idea of completing the novel as I couldn't see its ending anymore. but the fantasies about my characters didn't stop and they only continued getting darker and uglier. I tried telling my sister about them, but she joked about how I had a sadistic character. when I told my sister about one of my fantasies, I found that I thought less about it, so I tried telling her about them, or writing them down whenever I couldn't cope up with them. but she told our parents and they found about my writings and started praising me as a writer, but I think I found their praise hard to handle, so I stopped writing again. they are making fun of me now because I stopped, saying I'm wasting my talent.Honestly, I don't think I have this kind of talent, even if I have, I don't think it deserves all this ruckus.
Also, what I find problematic now is that those fantasies intensified lately, so much that I can't concentrate on studying. And I can't write about them, since I end up finding my writing lacking.

Sorry, this was a lot of talk. But do you think there's something wrong with me. As I said my family didn't take those fantasies seriously making fun of them or saying they are part of my sadistic character, but they're so vivid that I feel them clearly with my senses except for the smell, I can't imagine it.
There is nothing wrong with you at all!! You are not broken/not “right” etc what you are is artistic! You have an active brain that needs you to focus on something expressive…..are you good at art/drawing/photography? Channel your talent into that….sounds like you would make a fantastic cartoonist too!!

M

Miss no more lost

I think like us all you probably should get a therapist to help you understand your struggles! don’t you put yourself down you are talented!! You are strong! I love you and I don’t even know you! you fantasies are your creative mind are you good at art? A Cinematographer? xx

Jessicatree

Jessicatree

I do not think anything is wrong with you. You sound like a sensitive, creative, and lovely person! I would think that expressing yourself through writing, drawing, etc. Would likely be helpful for you to be able to focus on other things like studying. Basically, when people try to repress thoughts or feelings they often come out when you don't want them to (like distracting you from studying). Hopefully you can channel your thoughts into art of some sort.