• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello, I'm looking for advice

• Thread starter A name that protects privacy
  • Start date
A

A name that protects privacy

I have ADHD and PTSD. Because of everything going on right now, I'm not starting work or school until the end of summer and I haven't worked/school for around a month. Right now I am miserable, I have crippling anxiety nearly all the time and I have no motivation to do anything. The thought of waking up each day is unbearable and it feels as if I have no purpose. I've had adhd meds being tested and changed over the past month and I've lost all structure in my life from work and school too. I don't know what to do. I have been holding out as long as I can but right now I am at my lowest and it feels as if I can't endure anymore. I authentically don't know how to go about my life. I have therapy in 2 weeks and I am talking to my psychiatrist about my adhd meds tomorrow. Any advice? Anyone going through anything similar?

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: to the forum. I don't have ADHD but I understand losing all motivation and purpose. You can feel so lost. I would tell the psychiatrist everything about how you are feeling and see if your therapist can see you earlier as you are in such a bad way. I hope others will be along soon to give you more insights. Hold on and don't give up there is light at the end of the tunnel, its just the tunnel seems so long and dark at times.

Contramike

Contramike

Hello and Welcome!

Just by reading what you've posted, I think the change in psychiatric meds is responsible for a lot of what your going through. That's not to discount the other things, like having no structure or feeling like you have no purpose; and it's hard to have any motivation in a situation like that.

It sounds like absolute hell - Losing structure, changing brain chemistry and being paralyzed by anxiety. Did all of this happen at once or has it been slowly (or quickly) getting worse?

I'm glad you're seeing your psychiatrist tomorrow. Tell him/her exactly what you just posted. S/he will, most likely, change some of your meds to help you. Definitely call your therapist NOW! And again, tell him/her exactly what you just posted. Then let him/her know what your psychiatrist tells you. If you've been seeing them for awhile then they probably know you pretty well. S/he should be able to make time to talk to you soon. Do you have anyone that you can comfortably talk to or just vent to?

Help is coming. Just sit tight until tomorrow. For right now, maybe play some of your favorite songs or just watch something completely stupid on TV. There are also some very relaxing, soothing YouTube videos out there. Maybe put on some headphones and listen to some of those.

When you talk to your therapist, ask them about journaling. That's basically just getting a piece of paper and a pen and just spraying all of your thoughts down at once. It might sound like a waste of time, but for me it really helps with anxiety.

Hypnosis/ASMR videos have helped me a lot.

Here are some that have helped me with intense anxiety over the years:

-This one starts at 15:20

Please let us know what happens tomorrow. And know that there are some people here who really want to help you!

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi A name that protects privacy, welcome to the forum :welcome:

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello A name that protects privacy, welcome to the forum.