• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello, I'm a new member, and I'm trying to get some insight on antipsychotics.

S

sle

My daughter is 17, and has suffered Anxiety, and severe OCD most of her life.
Therapist after therapist. She was the most relaxed on 200mg. of Zoloft, but it wasn't doing much to help her obsessive thinking. She weaned off of Zoloft, to try Effexor, and she became very agitated, and defiant. Her Psychiatrist would like to take the next step into trying an Antipsychotic, such as Geodon, Thorzine, or Haldol, after she has an EKG. She is a complete house mouse. Doing online school, and finishing her Senior year. She is limiting herself in every aspect of life. Rituals, keep her from being able to get clothes on to leave the house. What has helped other members, or loved ones. Thank you.

N

Nukelavee

I don't know a lot about them, but - I'm on a tiny dose of Rexulti (which I know is out in the US), an anti-psychotic, for anxiety. It's made a huge difference, I'm calmer, and I don't have week long anxiety attacks.

I have noticed that, even with me, who has always been underweight, Rexulti has had me gain 25 pounds in 2 years. Which is huge, for me.

BlueFox

BlueFox

I'm on Zyprexa and the only side effect I've really had besides the sedative effects is weight gain nothing serious at all whereas on the positive side my depression is no longer so intense and lacks suicidal tendencies or self harm when previously it didn't lack these features. I'm also a lot calmer and get less agitated as easily before I very much had trouble controlling my anger, it helped my anxiety a lot too.

I was initially prescribed antipsychotics when I had a psychotic episode the Zyprexa quickly cured my psychosis and probably ultimately saved my life.

I very much hope they can be as useful to your daughter as they have been to me. Best wishes

Z

Zoe1

different antipsychotics work for different people
some people get on with a type that was disatstrous for me
it can take a bit of trial and error

now the one I'm on has transformed my state of mind !
its not perfect its just relatively normal

I think she might need other kinds of support
while she is trying stuff out

S

sle

I don't know a lot about them, but - I'm on a tiny dose of Rexulti (which I know is out in the US), an anti-psychotic, for anxiety. It's made a huge difference, I'm calmer, and I don't have week long anxiety attacks.

I have noticed that, even with me, who has always been underweight, Rexulti has had me gain 25 pounds in 2 years. Which is huge, for me.
I'm on Zyprexa and the only side effect I've really had besides the sedative effects is weight gain nothing serious at all whereas on the positive side my depression is no longer so intense and lacks suicidal tendencies or self harm when previously it didn't lack these features. I'm also a lot calmer and get less agitated as easily before I very much had trouble controlling my anger, it helped my anxiety a lot too.

I was initially prescribed antipsychotics when I had a psychotic episode the Zyprexa quickly cured my psychosis and probably ultimately saved my life.

I very much hope they can be as useful to your daughter as they have been to me. Best wishes

S

sle

May I ask which on you are on. She is in therapy also, and may try CBT again. The 2 antipsychotics that she tried were Abilify, and a short term of Serequel. She was never on high doses dud to side effects, Abilify caused her to gain 50+ lbs and I took her.off of it because it just wasnt doing much for OCD. Serequel caused her to sleep all day, and she couldn't do her schoolwork. Thank you for you reply.

N

Nukelavee

May I ask which on you are on. She is in therapy also, and may try CBT again. The 2 antipsychotics that she tried were Abilify, and a short term of Serequel. She was never on high doses dud to side effects, Abilify caused her to gain 50+ lbs and I took her.off of it because it just wasnt doing much for OCD. Serequel caused her to sleep all day, and she couldn't do her schoolwork. Thank you for you reply.
If I remember correctly, Rexulti is the improved version of Ablify.

B

bornfree

Hi. I have also experienced a gain of about 30 pounds from abilify. Does anybody know of a good medication to switch to?

B

bornfree

will the rexulti cause weight gain also?

B

bornfree

Ok am new here. Reread everything and it seems the rexulti may cause weight gain too. Is there an antipsychotic that does not cause weight gain? Thanks

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

Weight gain is a big issue with those drugs. Which comes with there issues like diabetes, heart disease, and depression.

I rather deal with other issues than being fat.

B

bornfree

Yes i have read up on this. But in all I have read noone seems to mention an antisychotic they switched to from abilify that didn't have weight gain side effects.