Hello! I need some advice about self harm

M

mango smoothie

Hello!I'm new to this forum as well as self-harm and i have many questions. I'll begin with a bit of context. I am a student from Massachusetts and I have been self harming for a few (6 or 7) months. It started off pretty infrequently, however in the past month it has escalated and I am now self harming multiple times per day. I haven't told anyone yet. My parents have offered to take me to therapy in years past but I told them I was fine I'm not really sure why I self harm, but I have done a lot of self-reflection and I think I blame myself for things that aren't my fault, I put a lot of pressure on myself and I am afraid of failure. Additionally there is a lot of conflict between my parents and even though I know they both love me, it's hard for me to sit there and watch this happen. Also, for me this is the most stressful time of year in school. I think my self harming is a cumulation of all of these factors but I'm not really sure.
One odd thing I have noticed is that there is this voice telling me that I am faking it and I'm doing this for attention, which is weird because I do my best to hide the scars. I think this is partially caused by the way I present myself which is in a very normal and happy way. I guess to everyone else i seem so happy that this wouldn't seem possible but when I'm alone it's an entirely different story. Overall I'm very confused and I have a lot of questions so here it goes:
1) Do I have a problem?
2) should I stop?
3a) do I need to tell someone
3b) if so who/how should I tell someone?
4) do I need therapy or some sort of professional help
5) do you have any other advice or recommendations?
I'm really sorry that was very long but any help or advice would be appreciated! :)

Luci

Luci

Self harm is a very personal thing so you've took a big step in talking about it :)
Self harm is a 'problem' depending who you ask, people don't understand it and become upset about it. Generally therapists say it's a way to release or express emotions, but the only one who can figure that out is you. You don't 'need' to tell someone but I would certainly take your parents up on that offer of therapy and begin by exploring this. Its obviously on your mind and is a habit that can be broken with support.
The fact this is on your mind and you are seeking advice and support is really good, a huge step. My personal advice to you would be dont struggle alone, take your parents up on that therapist ♡

M

mango smoothie

Self harm is a very personal thing so you've took a big step in talking about it :)
Self harm is a 'problem' depending who you ask, people don't understand it and become upset about it. Generally therapists say it's a way to release or express emotions, but the only one who can figure that out is you. You don't 'need' to tell someone but I would certainly take your parents up on that offer of therapy and begin by exploring this. Its obviously on your mind and is a habit that can be broken with support.
The fact this is on your mind and you are seeking advice and support is really good, a huge step. My personal advice to you would be dont struggle alone, take your parents up on that therapist ♡
Thank You so much!

Luci

Luci

No problem that's why we are here. Do let us know how you get on :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soulsearcher Self Harm Forum 6
A Self Harm Forum 3
Shy Smile Self Harm Forum 7
A Self Harm Forum 2
B Self Harm Forum 1