• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello I’m a newbie to forum 😊

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

Hi I’m new to the forum and Iv currently just started Lamotrigine in November for suspected bipolar, was told by my psychiatrist if they work for me the diagnosis looks likely. Before I started Lamotrigine I was a complete mess
One minute Id feel slowed down, lethargic, feeling negative about everything,i feel so depressed I can’t see a way out. I seem to have so much hatred for my boyfriend during this time, I say the most nasty things, everything and everyone irritates me and I have a fiery temper in which I want to argue and fight and I dont consider the consequences at these moments I just do not care. I can’t control the urge to say the most awful things and shout at people. I don’t feel comfortable in my own skin and even my clothes really irritate me. I avoid people I know, I feel like I want to self harm and I have suicidal thoughts during this time too. I sleep a lot also.
Then all of a sudden I get a switch in mood which I am bright and cheery, thinking positive about everything, I love my boyfriend again, life is great and I’m excited to be alive, I am sociable and very chatty, my head feels like it’s fizzing and I have adrenaline pumping through me and I just feel alive, I have lots of creative ideas and I’m constantly cleaning and sorting things, I can’t sit still, I’m laughing and joking and also talking some jibberish at times, my thoughts are going so fast I can’t keep up with them and sometimes they don’t make sense it’s like their all muddled up, i have a very high sex drive during this mood and I’m less inhibited. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It’s like a constant cycle and it’s exhausting. However the lamotrigine has calmed both the highs and the lows to a point I can cope a bit better. Just wanted some advice and maybe someone to talk to?

jajingna

jajingna

Welcome to the forum. I don't have bipolar but it sounds like you might. Others here will have experience with things you describe.

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

Thank you 😊 nice to meet you, Iv been struggling for so long it’s just nice to get advice and help/tips from others who are similar.

Zero One

Zero One

I have some of the things you are talking about at both extremes but not all. For example on the extreme of being angry I do not self harm or feel suicidal. Self-harm usually comes on extreme guilt and feeling suicidal usually comes with psychosis I have schizoaffective disorder. My highs are usually heavy on the mania side with delusions and euphoria. Welcome to the forum, nice to meet you!

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

Hello nice to meet you too, I feel terrible guilt after Iv said the most awful things to people I love, it’s as though I have no filter at all. I can’t control what I say, my thoughts race to the point they are just jumbled up. I just find it exhausting going from one extreme to the next.

soul searching

soul searching

Hi Bonnie23! Welcome! So sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm schizophrenic and doing better. This forum helps a lot.

Zero One

Zero One

Oh for things like that I usually feel traumatized. I have terrible anger and do terrible things that traumatize me when I recall what I did and am in a better mindstate; but I try my best to fix it if I can, and work past the crippling pain of knowing that I was so awful. I have self harmed with the guilt of harming close loved ones though but I couldn't remember that at first.

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

I know it makes you feel truly awful, I self harm when I’m frustrated with not being able to say how I feel, although I havnt done it for a while. It’s like a different person takes over for a while. I lose all my inhibitions and just want to go out and party and do wild things, which Iv done in the past.

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

Hello nice to meet you it helps to talk to people who experience similar. It’s nice to know your not alone ☺

Zero One

Zero One

I am like the biggest slut in my mind sometimes and am thankful that I am still married although divorcing so that I have some type of reservation 😉 and don't go all out

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

I am like the biggest slut in my mind sometimes and am thankful that I am still married although divorcing so that I have some type of reservation 😉 and don't go all out.

god that sounds so like me I feel ashamed of what Iv done sometimes.

Zero One

Zero One

Me too. Anyways nice talkin to you. I'm sure I will see you around. I loved lamotrigine but it made me swell too badly. It was really good for stabilizing my anger. Now I'm on three medicines for that.

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

It was lovely talking to you too yes I’m sure I will catch up with you again on the forum. Look after yourself 😊

Bonnie23

Bonnie23

Hi Bonnie23! Welcome! So sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm schizophrenic and doing better. This forum helps a lot.
Nice to meet you Iv been looking for a forum for a while as Iv literally had nobody to talk to about this. And at times I just can’t handle it.