• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello & Help?

U

unpredictable

Hello,

Never know how to introduce myself, but thought I could tell you what was going on that way you get to know who I am and also can offer any advice/help that you can. Sorry about the long message, but I am being cheeky to ask for help at the same time.

I am a 20 year old lad, I used to be proper calm, I broke away from my family when I was 16 because they couldn’t accept that I was gay. I had worked since leaving school, so I lied to a private landlord and got a bedsit in the area. I grew up quite a lot, found the love of my life, found job satisfaction and though we only ever had little money for things, we were really happy and all I know was I had finally found my life to be a happy one.

I had become a very happy lad, so in 2006 we decided to move in together, but I think this was the turning point for a lot of things, but being madly in love, I didn’t notice while others did. On August 25th 2006, this lad did something to me that I will never forgive, nor will I forget. I ran away to another part of the country, but the thoughts always still taunt me.

Due to already being in university, in 2007 I moved back thinking I would give it another ago.. see if it would help me get the teaching job I wanted and as such moved into halls of residents. To start with it was all okay, but then toward (we estimate) August 07. I started hearing voices but with the halls being a very echoic place, I thought it could have been coming from down the corridor and thought nothing about it. It wasn’t until they started to tell me to burn myself with the iron, and did, that I started thinking ‘this is a problem’ but the only thing I could ever tell people when I tried to get help was ‘I think I had left the iron on’.

More recently Due to what is going on, I had to leave uni. I have been seeing my ex. At the side of the bed while awakening, which obviously scares the hell out of me. I have also been going off into my own little world where the government are killing people. My friends have been increasingly worried about what is going on and as such one dragged me to A&E where they said I was going through psychosis and they would refer me to someone who could treat me within the community, due to the fact I was not unwell to force hospitalisation on and I am very much unwilling to go in.

The community team that I see though are a little c**p though, because they don’t do anything apart from ask information off me when we do see each other, mention that medication would help and give me a phone number that just seems to ring out. The GP keeps saying go back to A&E and the A&E crisis line just keep saying ‘I think you should express your concerns to the team’.

With no luck, and not knowing which way to turn I did a few google searches and found this forum, so thought I would ask for help.

Sorry about the life story!
Unpredictable.

D

Dollit

Have you asked to see a psychiatrist? Whilst the A&E team can help (though personally I have little faith in crisis teams because they don't know you well) a settle working relationship with a regular psychiatrist can help enormously.

Next time you go to A&E print out your first post and take it with you - it's difficult to communicate at times, I find it impossible at times and a huge part of what I do is communication.

And don't apologise for making long posts - that's what the forum is here for.

And Welcome!

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Hi and :welcome:

I agree with Dollit on the Crisis Teams - not too keen on them and it seems to be a theme in most places in the UK. Definitely ask to see a psychiatrist though :)

Take care
:flowers:

U

unpredictable

Thanks

The GP had sent me to a psychiatrist, about a month ago, and I am still waiting to hear from them (as in a first app.)

I do agree, crisis teams don't seem to be able to do much, but then again, neither do many other people who work in mental health, well from where sitting at the moment anyway.

My question to myself is do they just want me to go insane enough to section? or is this really their idea of helping?

Thanks for the replies.
x

D

Dollit

If they don't consider you to be urgent then there is a waiting list. It's quite frightening when you get an appointment in days. You could ring and ask how long it's likely to be - they may be able to give you a rough guess but psychiatry being what it is you can't always predict when someone will be well enough to make a space for someone else.

U

unpredictable

I know what you mean, its like when I went to see the GP the first time (after being summoned) and he said to go back to the A&E straight away (which of course I didn’t) but it was scary thinking that he thought it was ‘urgent’ enough...

I am happy waiting, but, I just want to know what is going on so to speak...