• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello from Ireland, need some support.

P

Patrick D

Hi everyone, my name is Patrick and I'm at the lowest point in my life.. feeling very scared and alone.. I know I'm not the only one.. but I could use some advice.

katya

katya

Hi everyone, my name is Patrick and I'm at the lowest point in my life.. feeling very scared and alone.. I know I'm not the only one.. but I could use some advice.
Hello and :welcome:

You're certainly not alone and the fact you've reached out is already a good sign that you're on the road to recovery.

Please be kind to yourself right now and try to help yourself in any way you can. Don't be afraid to talk to your GP about how you're feeling; your mental health, after all, is immensely important, and they might be able to help you in terms of getting you specific medication or putting you in touch with a therapist.

I know it may feel really bleak right now, but please don't convince yourself that you're going to feel this way forever; things can and will get better.

Wish you all the best.

:hug1:

P

Patrick D

thank you, I've never done this before.. opening up.. maybe its easier talking to strangers.. but its so difficult to believe this will get better.. the past few months have been hellish... and I'm in a very very dark place.. in fact the last 8 years have been bad.. and I've told no one.

katya

katya

thank you, I've never done this before.. opening up.. maybe its easier talking to strangers.. but its so difficult to believe this will get better.. the past few months have been hellish... and I'm in a very very dark place.. in fact the last 8 years have been bad.. and I've told no one.
I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling in silence for so long. Think about it this way: you've been carrying on, on your own, for 8 years, but now you're beginning to open up - so surely that's a sign you're moving in the right direction?

I find it's easier to talk to strangers, and I'm hoping you'll feel a calming sense of solidarity when you realise you're really not alone - I know having mental health issues can sometimes feel like the loneliest thing in the world, especially when you feel as though you can't open up about it.

I think the best thing you could do right now would be to open up as much as you can, and then think about seeing your GP. I know it'll be a big step for you, but it'll be a big step on the road to recovery.

:)

P

Patrick D

I feel like I can't actually tell anyone face to face, even my GP.. I know I should but I don't know if I can.. life seems totally meaningless.. totally empty.. the sun is shining and everyone seems to be smiling and I'm just dying inside.. I know its pathetic yet I'm helpless.. I cannot control these feelings...

B

buttercup32

Hello and welcome

You certainly aren't alone. When I'm bad, I think about what advice I would give to someone I love if they were in my shoes. Then I apply those kind words to myself. It's no real fix but it can help even if just for a a few minutes to keep my mind focused on something else.

I don't have much advice apart from that because I'm going through it myself right now and everything seems pointless.

katya

katya

I feel like I can't actually tell anyone face to face, even my GP.. I know I should but I don't know if I can.. life seems totally meaningless.. totally empty.. the sun is shining and everyone seems to be smiling and I'm just dying inside.. I know its pathetic yet I'm helpless.. I cannot control these feelings...
I know what that's like. It's really, really hard. Things can get better, though. I know you don't feel ready to speak to anyone face-to-face about it now (8 years is a long time to keep something to yourself), but you might want to think about writing some of these feelings down, like you have done here, and handing it to your GP when you feel ready to do that. GPs have seen this before (trust me) and I think most are very sympathetic to MH issues.

But anyway, before you get to that point, please be as kind to yourself as possible at the moment.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Patrick

Welcome to the forum.

We may be strangers but many of us here understand what you are going through because we go through / have gone through similar things. You can find friendly people here, help and support. Please keep posting.

If you don't feel ready to speak to your GP, have you thought about calling a mental health charity? They may be able to offer support and advice.

I am so sorry you feel like this.

Best wishes, Sarah

P

Patrick D

thank you Sarah, I feel like I can hardly breathe.. its just gotten to the point now where I know I can't continue like this.. its just too hard. I've kept this hidden for so long, but I've reached my tipping point and the floodgates have opened.. I googled some stuff earlier and found this forum.. I am weeping as I type this.. its just relentless..

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Patrick

If you need to talk to someone, Samaritans can be very helpful. Google Samaritans Ireland for the website. It gives these phone numbers:

"For immediate support, about whatever's getting to you, please call Samaritans’ 24-hour helpline: 08457 90 90 90* (UK), 116 123 (ROI)."

You don't have to be suicidal to call. They will help anyone in distress. Sometimes it is just helpful to have a friendly voice to talk to.

If you google mental health and your local area, you should find other sources of help.

Sarah xx

P

Patrick D

Hi Nikita, I'm not sure anyone would have the time or patience to listen to my story, its the same old thing about lost love, insecurities, family problems and general day to day life.. its the same stuff a lot of people experience and yet for me it feels worse.. I had one fairly major trauma in 1996 which is still with me on a daily basis and its hard to shake off.. and I think I need help with that one. In January the greatest girl I ever knew suddenly split from me.. I was and still am devastated.. it was the final straw.. I tried to maintain my dignity and composure but failed and ever since its been a downward spiral. I managed to keep all of this hidden from everyone.. and even now no one in my immediate circle of friends knows the whole truth.. its all just too difficult to speak about. I have I will admit been having the darkest of thoughts... completely stupid I know but I must face them.. I just need a little guidance.

B

bangalore

Hello Patrick

Hope you get what you need to help you with this tough time you are going through. Take care of yourself Patrick.

G

Gredge23

Just popping in to show some love Patrick , cork man here , I respect your strenght for opening up about your issues it's not and never is easy , just letting you know your not alone buddy :)

K

Kinnaird16

Hi Patrick, Its great you've finally found that you can share after 8 years. I denied I was ill to myself for a long time too. In this first instance, I couldn't recommend seeing your GP highly enough. If you don't feel comfortable with your existing GP, don't be afraid to ask the surgery for an alternative. Mental health issues are far more common than you think and if Ireland is anything like the UK system, your GP will be the central point for all referrals into the appropriate services for you. Please give it a try.