• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Hello from Down Under

J

jojobooster

Founding Member
Hi everyone,

What a fab forum!

We have just moved from Cumbria to West Auckland in New Zealand, quite a trip for a manic depressive who thrives on routine and being in control. So far the medical services here have been great and getting meds is easy although they taste different.

Being married to a psychologist generally helps, though even he missed my last major high coming. I might even have a bipolar daughter too, though her British psych didn't want to commit herself as she'sonly 10.

Mental health over here seems more openly discussed. There are even adverts with famous rugby players explaining how they felt and how they went for help. Not bad for a macho society.

Looking forward to talking so more

Jo:flowers:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hi JoJoBooster and welcome, look forward comparing notes as part of my condition is manic depression. I'd experienced the mania often, and thought I'd managed to come to terms with the lowest points, then about a year ago the bottom fell out of my world and I experienced new lows, it was really hard at the time, I'll take the mania over the depression any day.

It would be great if you can coax your partner to join too, a psychologist on board would be great. perhaps he can help us expand the minds that the psychiatrists have shrunk ;)

:welcome:

J

jojobooster

Founding Member
Thanks for the welcome.

I am pretty lucky that my bipolar seems mild in comparison to others. I have never been hospitalised and have developed strategies for dealing with the swings. That said without my family I doubt I would be here. The highs are fab and the lows terrible but it is the changeover time I find hard. I react to the seasons too. Spring is always the worst, generally going from low to high, so depressed but active at the same time.

It would probably do hubby good to join. He sometimes struggles to deal with me because we are so close but hearing other people may help us both.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Great that you've found strategies, I'm sure that they'll be invaluable for people to hear about. I just recently finished a piece of work and quoted an ancient Greek writer...made total sense to me....

Herodutus said:
The wisest of institutions of Babylon...have no physician, but when a man is ill, they lay him in the public square, and the passers-by go up to him, and if they have ever had his disease themselves or have known anyone who has suffered from it, they give him advice, recommending him to do whatever they found good in their own case, or in the case known to them.

As to mania, there's a giveaway that I had experienced, but never had delineated until I read it in a book. Its real simple...colour changes, becomes more vivid. When that begins to happen, you can be sure you're manic or becoming so (and if I could put it in a bottle and sell it I'd be a rich man (y) )

J

jojobooster

Founding Member
Yep,

I have been known to get flashing lights in the corners of my eyes just before a majorhigh. Generally by then it's too late and I just have to deal with the consequences. Finding ways to talk myself down from the ceiling would be good. It always feels like i'm on a rollercoaster when my mood swings that violently

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Yep sounds about right. I also have Schizophrenia, and to be honest my highs have been distinct if I think about them. That said there is a school of thought that manic depression and schizophrenia lie at extreme ends of a continuum. It used to be you had one or the other not both. The more perceptive doctors have seen that I have two distinct sets of symptomatology (Schizoaffective Disorder), whereas others misjudge my affective mania as schizophrenic psychosis. In the history of my illness I think I've done both at different times, affective manic psychosis and schizophrenic psychosis. The difference to me is that the mania has less (if any) paranoid features...

mischief

mischief

Admin
Welcome jojobooster! :welcome:

Hi everyone,

What a fab forum!

We have just moved from Cumbria to West Auckland in New Zealand, quite a trip for a manic depressive who thrives on routine and being in control. So far the medical services here have been great and getting meds is easy although they taste different.

Being married to a psychologist generally helps, though even he missed my last major high coming. I might even have a bipolar daughter too, though her British psych didn't want to commit herself as she'sonly 10.

Mental health over here seems more openly discussed. There are even adverts with famous rugby players explaining how they felt and how they went for help. Not bad for a macho society.

Great to have a forum member from the city where I grew up! (y)..... well the part of Auckland where I grew up is technically North Shore City and by the looks of things you are in Waitakere City. We would love to have a local forum for Auckland. Please let us know if you would like to help out.

Sounds as if New Zealand is working hard to reduce the extremely high rate of young male suicides. I understand that recently New Zealand had the highest rate for 15 to 24 year old males in the world.

Thanks for the comment about the forum being fab!! As always it is the members that make it fab!! :clap:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi everyone,

What a fab forum!

Hello and :welcome: jojobooster :)
Best wishe's for settling into your new home :), pleased to read mental health is openly spoken about there (y)
Hope you like it here and look forwarding to seeing you around the boards :)

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
hiya I'm still in Cumbria ! Hope things are abit better for you down there its proper horrible weather up here although I am looking out over ennerdale as we speak so thats a compensation

Spookily enough I am bipolar too do you think there may have been something in the water here?