• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello everyone

Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
Hello everyone,
I've just worked out how to use this board. I'm involved in mental health in several ways. I have long-standing major depressive illness and my husband has life-long mental illness, we actually met in hospital. Because we were in what was supposed to be a therapeutic community the staff were very down on our relationship but we persisted and have now been married almost 11 years. So much for them. My husband's son had a very bad time when he started secondary school and only managed 1/2 a term. After a lot of upset and hassle he ended up on the Bethlem Children's unit for 5 months (we think it's a very good unit) where they diagnosed him with high functioning autism. He is now in a special school which he still finds very difficult and has had a lot more alarming and traumatic problems. We're hoping that now he's crashed his way through them he'll be able to come to terms with himself and settle down a bit.
My sister has also recently had a severe depressive breakdown.
I do everything I can to speak out about mental illness and try to reduce the stigma but I can't manage demos of any kind and because I get so tired and muddled I don't have many useful hours in the day which is very frustrating.
One thing I am involved in is the work being done at my local hospital mental health promotion unit and chaplaincy on MH and spirituality. We've had 2 workshops so far, one at a local mosque. The next one is planned for my local Friends' Meeting House - I am a Quaker. Quakers have recently started a country-wide disability equality group so I intend to use that in aid of knowledge about mental illness and the disabilities it causes.
Take care everyone,
Isobel

v01ce5

v01ce5

One thing I am involved in is the work being done at my local hospital mental health promotion unit and chaplaincy on MH and spirituality. We've had 2 workshops so far, one at a local mosque. The next one is planned for my local Friends' Meeting House - I am a Quaker. Quakers have recently started a country-wide disability equality group so I intend to use that in aid of knowledge about mental illness and the disabilities it causes.
Hi Isobel

Very interested to hear about the "MH and spirituality" work and Quaker country-wide disability equality group, I hope you will keep up us informed of how these initiatives develop.

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Equality

No, V01ces, bacause you would then have to acknowledge Equality for people with schizophrenia, something which you are clearly not ready for yet.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
No, V01ces, bacause you would then have to acknowledge Equality for people with schizophrenia, something which you are clearly not ready for yet.

??? Que???

But back to the point. Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

:welcome:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: Isobel , look forward to reading your input in to the forum :)

E

Eng65

Founding Member
:welcome:
Isobel

I empathise

Glad to see you on board.

Regards
Happy as can be 2008
Eng65

Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
THANK YOU ALL,
I am glad to be here, it is a brilliant site and very promising too. I hope that it, or those parts of it which people are happy to be used, can become campaigning tools, making the truth about what it's like to live with mental illness public and debunking the myths that create fear and prejudice.

I don't understand about not being ready to accept equality for people with schizophrenia. Why shouldn't they be entitled to live their own lives as well as they can as we all should be? Unfortunately none of us can do that because of the disabilities and restrictions that illness creates. The base line is that we are all human and I believe all have the divine within us. I can't rate that as less valuable in someone with schizophrenia than it is in anybody else. And in all my admissions I have known people having terrible trouble with voices and hallucinations and NONE of them were less human than ANYONE else.

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Equivocation

Hi Isobel
Reference only to a concerted attempt made on this site to remove the diagnosis of schizophrenia = and therefore those with that diagnosis also. Agreed we have enough to put up with without others messing about with the terminology. Be assured this swipe was not directed at you in any way but a reassertion that if there is one place we do need a level playing-field, it is the Mental health forum. Thankyou for your attention.

Rambuie :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntonySilva Introduce Yourself 12
Moody Blues Introduce Yourself 10
M Introduce Yourself 7
S Introduce Yourself 4
A Introduce Yourself 3