• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello Everyone.

D

Doodydaddy

Hi
Just thought I would introduce myself. I've been lurking around for a good few weeks and finally convinced myself that this is a nice friendly (safe) place to be.
A little about me. I'm 39 years old, I have a 2 and a half year old daughter who lives with my partner and they are both the most precious things in the world to me. After 6 years of not feeling quite "me", in April my parents and partner convinced me to go and talk to my doctor who diagnosed me as suffering from depression.
To be honest It felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Just someone giving it a name, having something to "blame" for feeling the way I do.
I was initially prescribed prozac (well it wasn't actually prozac but the same thing just can't remember the name) after 4 weeks I went back to the doctor as I had withdrawn into myself evn more and she changed my medication to Dosulepin. This has recently been increased to 150mg.
I don't really understand fully what is wrong with me and often wonder if I am just lazy or something. It's hard to put into words. Hopefully I have found the place that I can open up a bit to people who can really understand what I am going through and maybe help some others on the way.
I was claiming ESA but recieved a letter off the DWP yesterday saying basically the results from my medical examination showed I am fit for work and that I can no longer claim ESA. Way to make me feel better DWP.
The medical examiner has basically ignored everything I said, despite being in tears throughout (obviously a perfectly normal thing for a 39 year old man).
It feels at the moment like I am right back to square one again.

Anyway thats me, there is more to me than just that obviously but that will do for now, don't want to leave a long rambling post and anyway it's hard to type through the tears.

speak soon I hope

M

A

Ainsworth

The medical examiner has basically ignored everything I said
:welcome: dont give up, my p-doc completely ignored me, the CPN actually listened and now im getting somewhere

welcome to the forum :)

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi and :welcome: to our forum. I'm glad you've been to the doc and got a diagnosis. There are so many antidepressants to choose from the docs tend to choose something like Prozac first (was it called fluoxetine?) as it has relatively few side effects compared with some of the older drugs. Are you starting to feel any better at all? How long have you been on this new drug?

Anyway, one thing to understand. If you are feeling like this, you are not just lazy. Depression is a debilitating illness which can make even the simplest or previously really enjoyable things really difficult, even impossible to do.

I'm really sorry you've had trouble with DWP. Are you going to go through the appeal process? It's hard going I know, but it sounds like you have parents and a partner that will be able to support you through it.

Keep us posted :)

D

Doodydaddy

Thank you for your kind words :)

I won't be giving up, I guess I will have to go through the appeal proccess although it seems like such an effort. I don't even tend to use the phone to speak to strangers never mind having to go to the job centre to sign on, just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

fluoxetine, thats the one, little green capsules. I have been on the dosulepin since May, 75mg initially, My GP decided they were probably the way to go as I wasn't sleeping (maybe 2-3 hours a night) and they have a stong sedative effect. Initially they halped me to sleep and I had 3 weeks on them where I felt better than ever before in my life and then "crashed" back down to earth. GP has said that the body gets used to them and that is why I am now on 150mg. They definately help me to sleep but I tend to loose my mornings as they keep me asleep for about 14 hours!!!!!!
Only been on the increased dose for 2 weeks so we shall see how they work.
I have been refered for a course of CBT but there is up to 6 months waiting list in my area.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Doodydaddy

And :welcome:

I hope you find this forum as friendly, helpful and supportive as I have :)