• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello everyone

S

SilentlyLoud

Hi all.

I'm a 29 year old male. I joined the forum around 4 months ago but never posted. But things lately have been getting unbearable and I'm hoping I'll find support and advice here.

To make a long story short, I've been feeling depressed for a few years now. It all started mildly so I shrugged it off as just an unhappy period. But now that things are getting considerably worse and my relationship is in shambles, I'm almost convinced I am indeed depressed, and it has been getting steadily worse for years.

I'm already getting therapy but seems like it's not helping with the depression. Now I find myself desperately considering anti-depressants. I'm hoping I may be able to get the needed support here and hopefully contribute in turn.

Nice to meet you all and thank you in advance.

Bod

Bod

Hello SilentlyLoud, welcome to the forum I do hope you can settle in here as everyone is such a great deal of help with love and care. I'm waiting to start some therapy, and at the moment I'm taking antidepressants.

S

SilentlyLoud

Hello SilentlyLoud, welcome to the forum I do hope you can settle in here as everyone is such a great deal of help with love and care. I'm waiting to start some therapy, and at the moment I'm taking antidepressants.
Thank you for the reply, Bod. And good to hear this is a supportive community. Are the antidepressants helping?

Louizard

Louizard

Welcome to the forum, as you may have noticed by now here you can find all the support needed.

My life went much better since I started antidepressants six years ago. It's a matter of trials and errors, I have changed a lot of medications and had many relapses and setbacks, but every time I recovered I knew it was worth it.
My last therapist, as nice as he was, wasn't helping as much as my current one. Try different paths, they won't all be correct, but it's true that the results will be worth it.

Bod

Bod

Hi, I still have to wait for another 3 weeks yet, but this forum is a great help.

C

Carebear10

Hello SilentlyLoud. Glad that you have reached out for help. Antidepressants can help. You have to be put on the right ones. Your therapist may recommend a good doctor whom can get it right. Make sure to monitor how the affect you so that they can choose the right one for you. Make sure that you take as prescribed. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

S

SilentlyLoud

Welcome to the forum, as you may have noticed by now here you can find all the support needed.

My life went much better since I started antidepressants six years ago. It's a matter of trials and errors, I have changed a lot of medications and had many relapses and setbacks, but every time I recovered I knew it was worth it.
My last therapist, as nice as he was, wasn't helping as much as my current one. Try different paths, they won't all be correct, but it's true that the results will be worth it.
Thank you. Good to hear antidepressants have worked for you. I'm not yet 100% sure I want to go that route, as I believe a big reason for my depression is my life situation, coupled with a feeling of having missed out on a lot of things in life and wasted my 20s and a feeling of failure.

S

SilentlyLoud

Hello SilentlyLoud. Glad that you have reached out for help. Antidepressants can help. You have to be put on the right ones. Your therapist may recommend a good doctor whom can get it right. Make sure to monitor how the affect you so that they can choose the right one for you. Make sure that you take as prescribed. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks Carebear10. I will surely let you know how it goes, although I'm not yet completely sure about meds.

C

Carebear10

Thanks Carebear10. I will surely let you know how it goes, although I'm not yet completely sure about meds.
My doctor made this clear to me as I was “slipping into depression”…He said if you had any other medical condition for which you needed to take medication, for instance diabetes…you would take the meds and control your diet, right?! If you had a bad heart and needed to take medicine for it, you would, and would be encouraged to do so that you would not suffer of more heart complications…right?! When you are clearly suffering from depression and need help…your brain is an organ just like your heart. Then you do what you can (like taking medicine) to help! It’s not a sign of weakness, but a sign that you are getting the help that you may need. Hope this helps. I resisted medicine for awhile too, until I realized how much better I felt after taking the medicine…I started to recognize that the medicine helped me to enjoy life again, to participate in activities, to be more successful and accomplish things that I once thought was impossible. The main thing was that I actually started getting “enjoyment out of life” instead of “just living day to day in my ‘own world’ of unhappiness”! Hope this helps. Love to hear of your progress. Seek a good counselor and a doctor that realizes your hesitation towards medicine and ask advice on what you can do to cope better. Good luck

S

SilentlyLoud

My doctor made this clear to me as I was “slipping into depression”…He said if you had any other medical condition for which you needed to take medication, for instance diabetes…you would take the meds and control your diet, right?! If you had a bad heart and needed to take medicine for it, you would, and would be encouraged to do so that you would not suffer of more heart complications…right?! When you are clearly suffering from depression and need help…your brain is an organ just like your heart. Then you do what you can (like taking medicine) to help! It’s not a sign of weakness, but a sign that you are getting the help that you may need. Hope this helps. I resisted medicine for awhile too, until I realized how much better I felt after taking the medicine…I started to recognize that the medicine helped me to enjoy life again, to participate in activities, to be more successful and accomplish things that I once thought was impossible. The main thing was that I actually started getting “enjoyment out of life” instead of “just living day to day in my ‘own world’ of unhappiness”! Hope this helps. Love to hear of your progress. Seek a good counselor and a doctor that realizes your hesitation towards medicine and ask advice on what you can do to cope better. Good luck
"Living day to day in my own world of unhappiness" describes my current situation very well. I would love to get enjoyment out of life again. From what you describe meds might make this possible. I will check this with my therapist next time I'm there. Thanks.

C

Carebear10

Once you start on the medication your doctor/therapist please take it as prescribed. You may want to keep a journal on how you are feeling, and what activities that you are doing and enjoying. Keep in touch with your doctor. Also keep in mind that you may be on meds for a little while before you feel the positive affects. Also, perspective is a lot of it, stay positive, think positive, and be happy in the moment as much as you can. I always try to take a deep breath and try to think of at least one thing that is going well. Or one thing, or more, that I am grateful for each day when i start to feel low. Hope all of this helps! Keep us informed of your progress.

S

SilentlyLoud

Once you start on the medication your doctor/therapist please take it as prescribed. You may want to keep a journal on how you are feeling, and what activities that you are doing and enjoying. Keep in touch with your doctor. Also keep in mind that you may be on meds for a little while before you feel the positive affects. Also, perspective is a lot of it, stay positive, think positive, and be happy in the moment as much as you can. I always try to take a deep breath and try to think of at least one thing that is going well. Or one thing, or more, that I am grateful for each day when i start to feel low. Hope all of this helps! Keep us informed of your progress.
It does help, thanks. I'm not 100% sure about medications yet but will surely discuss it with my therapist.

I seem to have a tendency for pessimism. I try to be positive but there are things in my life that make this very difficult. Like right now it's my failing relationahip. Difficult to stay positive when faced with something like this. How do you stay positive even with negative things happening in your life?