• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello All

M

My Angels

Hello All,

I live in Wiltshire and I'm 40 years old male, I've had problems with mental illness since I was 15-16 years of age. I've been told by my doctor that my illness is like a cake mix and I've got a bit of everything, for some reason it only affects the male side of the family. I have two brothers who have problems with mental illness although they'll not admit it to anyone, my father has tried to kill himself 6 times but thankfully his last attempt was a couple of years ago.

I found out that I had type 2 diabetes two years ago to add to everything else, my wife works full time as I've not worked for a long while although I have a cleaning job once a week and I do gardening whenever I can to make some extra money. I still get moaned at from my father in law telling me to work for a living but I take no notice now but it still hurts when he and others say it.

I've got a German shepherd dog called Bella who keeps me company but she's 10 years old now but keeps me sane if that's possible, I look forward to making lots of friends on this forum and reading all of your story's.
Many thanks for listening.:)

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi and :welcome: to the forum. I suffer from depression with anxiety and I'm also a type 2 diabetic, as well as having underactive thyroid so I know how you feel about one thing on top of another!

I'm guessing you're not able to work because of your MH problems. How does your condition affect you and what sort of treatments have you had?

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

Hello and welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great information on this site and the people are friendly. I hope you find it helpful.

I don't think some people realise just how debilitating mental illness can be. Most of us do want to work but unfortunately for many it just isn't possible. If you had something else wrong with you that they could see I bet they wouldn't make such remarks.

M

My Angels

Hey all,

I think that there is still a lot of stigma attached to mental illness, I've had mental illness for so long its part of me now and its made me a better person if that makes any sense ? I've been off work for more than 10 years, I just can't function in full time work. I've had lots of jobs but some of them have made me feel worse with my mental health and the employers have had no sympathy and have let me go after coming up with stupid reasons why I can't do the job.

I think people with mental illness are more caring towards other human beings but that does open us up to getting hurt and bullied, how do the rest of you cope with the treatment you get sometimes ?

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

To be honest, I often don't cope with it that well. I'm a teacher, currently off work for the last 4 weeks, and out of a staff of about 60 I think only 5 or 6 have bothered to make any sort of communication with me, and one of those was to investigate my facebook posts! Some of my supposed friends had gone to the deputy head worried that the kids might have been able to see my posts. They can't anyway but it's not as if I'd written anything controversial or damaging!

That's a bit beside the point but I feel better for saying it!

No I get hurt very easily and take things on as being my fault when they possibly aren't. It all just reinforces my belief that it's me & my hubby & kids against the rest of the world. :cry:

D

dreambuggieII

Hi

I tend to agree with the point that people who've experienced mental problems are more caring.

I'd say more, but I'm feeling a bit down. Sleep will work - thank god.

Have a good week, hope to write more during the week.

J

jamesdean

Hey all,

I think that there is still a lot of stigma attached to mental illness, I've had mental illness for so long its part of me now and its made me a better person if that makes any sense ? I've been off work for more than 10 years, I just can't function in full time work. I've had lots of jobs but some of them have made me feel worse with my mental health and the employers have had no sympathy and have let me go after coming up with stupid reasons why I can't do the job.

I think people with mental illness are more caring towards other human beings but that does open us up to getting hurt and bullied, how do the rest of you cope with the treatment you get sometimes ?
I find that people are so hurtful much more so than I could even imagine I think its because we think first.Its good to meet you regards JD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Introduce Yourself 4
Magenta Pink Introduce Yourself 15
M Introduce Yourself 4
M Introduce Yourself 4
Poemwrit3r Introduce Yourself 4