• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

hello all

B

bammyjastard

Hi I'm a 36 year old married father of 2, had trouble with depression and anxiety for a good 5 yrs or more, and after a recent relapse,I finally got around to changing my GP and addressing these problems for the sake of my family.
My new GP prescribed Venlafaxine, which he said would be better for my anxiety, which is what I really want to sort out, because like many I suppose, the anxiousness triggers my depression in a big way.
I took my first 37.5mg tablet last night (UK time 8pm) and went to bed about 10.30. I didn't get any sleep whatsoever and so got up and went to work this morning, 9am start.
My employers are trying to help because I was off sick for 2 weeks recently and agreed on a phased return, yesterday and today I did 5 hour shifts instead of the usual 8, increasing next week to 6 hours and so on. My worry is if I don't sleep tonight aswell, that I'm going to end up losing my job.
GP is planning for me to take 1 37.5mg tablet nightly for this week, I go and see him again on Monday, and the plan then is to introduce another dose in the morning. I guess what I'm looking for is some experienced reports of this medication. I felt like a zombie at work today and can feel myself cracking with the (naturally) nosey nature of the rest of the staff and the fact I feel like I'm on another planet.
Forgive me if this post is a little incoherent, but it's been 32 hours since sleep and I'm trying to get this done before getting the kids from school.
Cheers
:sleep:

keepsafe

keepsafe

:welcome: to the forum, I'm on 300mg of ven and it doesn;t send me to sleep - in fact I don;t know whether its doing me any good at all!

For sleep well try lavender oil or perhas a short course of sleeping tablets from the doctor.
Have you tried doing something soothing before you go to bed - give yourself some time to wind down - you time if you can.....of course its not that easy to switch off the brain and the mind can get us in all sorts of awful states. Sorry I am not being very useful but thought I would welcome you anyway and let you know you are not alone

KS

B

bammyjastard

@ keepsafe
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice.
My problem is that I found the Ven very stimulating and I'm usless without my sleep, I have been prescribed Fluoxetine and Mirtazapine in the past and know from those meds and anti depressants in general that they can take a while to "kick in". Early days I suppose.
Truth is I had a problem with mephedrone until recently and I'm finding it a little scary how this Venlafaxine mimics the stimulation/insomnia aspects of mephedrone. I'll stick at it, hope to sleep so that I can work, and see what the Doc says next Monday.
Thanks again for welcoming me into your community:clap:

keepsafe

keepsafe

Right I see, I hope that the over stimulation disappears as you get used to the drug or maybe in a few weeks it won;t be suitable for you - we are all different. I'm trying to remember feeling over stimulated???!

Take it easy anyway
KS

S

starfish

insomnia

i couldnt get on with venlafaxine, it gave me serious night sweats. mirtazepine is known to help you sleep if taken at night. if i were you i wouldnt wait for monday for another gp appointment id go asap, poor sleep can wreck you.

E

ellabee

ven

hi I been on ven for 7 months currently 225mg with quietipine also. I dont think either do anything for me and im now having my meds reviewed.

the ven for me didnt help with my anxiety im still occasionally taking diazapam when it all gets to much.

I hope the ven works better for you take care

D

Dashem

Welcome and Hi there

:)In isome respects i can see wher ur coming from, i have suffered over the yrs with depression on n off, i have lost count of the various anti d's i have tried, its been very long and hard, but ther is light at the end of the tunnel, even if at time u dont feel it..

I know how u feel about not sleeping i have experienced this on many occasions, it can be very disturbing and dangerous, because when u lose to much sleep, ur mind can play tricks on u and make u paranoid..

Cbt is very good along with anti's d for me at the moment..i also take a mood stabiliser..

one thing also i find helps, when i am very stressed about stuff i write all things down on a list and priorities them, dont try to deal with too much at once, this could be part of the not sleeping

Hope this was some use to you, no worries if not, i enjoyed writing it..

Good luck,

D

darkplace27

Hi I'm a 36 year old married father of 2, had trouble with depression and anxiety for a good 5 yrs or more, and after a recent relapse,I finally got around to changing my GP and addressing these problems for the sake of my family.
My new GP prescribed Venlafaxine, which he said would be better for my anxiety, which is what I really want to sort out, because like many I suppose, the anxiousness triggers my depression in a big way.
I took my first 37.5mg tablet last night (UK time 8pm) and went to bed about 10.30. I didn't get any sleep whatsoever and so got up and went to work this morning, 9am start.
My employers are trying to help because I was off sick for 2 weeks recently and agreed on a phased return, yesterday and today I did 5 hour shifts instead of the usual 8, increasing next week to 6 hours and so on. My worry is if I don't sleep tonight aswell, that I'm going to end up losing my job.
GP is planning for me to take 1 37.5mg tablet nightly for this week, I go and see him again on Monday, and the plan then is to introduce another dose in the morning. I guess what I'm looking for is some experienced reports of this medication. I felt like a zombie at work today and can feel myself cracking with the (naturally) nosey nature of the rest of the staff and the fact I feel like I'm on another planet.
Forgive me if this post is a little incoherent, but it's been 32 hours since sleep and I'm trying to get this done before getting the kids from school.
Cheers
:sleep:
Hi and welcome Im new too, Im on 225mg of the same drug and has already been said I suffer from terrible night sweats some nights and have become very sensative to changes in tempreture I feel roasting hot all the time. I to had trouble sleeping for a coupl efo weeks so was prescribed temazapan to help me sleep. I would suggest going back to your gp if your struggaling. keep talking to people you feel you can trust and although ive only been on here a few days ive found it helps already. pm me if you want a chat buddy.

Hope things get better

B

bammyjastard

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who repsonded to this thread. My GP has upped my dose to 37.5mg in the morning and again in the evening and also some zopiclone on a temporary basis to help me sleep.

Things seem to be improving on a very gradual basis. I wish I'd found this cracking support from like-minded individuals years ago.

Thank you everyone
Chris