Hello all, Happy New Year and Struggling!

Emerald23

Emerald23

Hi everyone, I have joined the forum just now. I'm rather tired, but glad I can chat on here tomorrow. I have recently been diagnosed with BPD. I am not coping with the mood swings and depression. Any initial replies would be most welcome.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Welcome and best wishes for the new year. I hope it's an improvement on the previous for all of us.

If you feel like sharing a little more, let us know a little more about you and your struggles with mental health.

Emerald23

Emerald23

Thank you!... and more about my issues!

:flower2: Thanks for being the first to answer my post, it has already made my day!
I have recently, as of 3 months ago been diagnosed with BPD. I have irrational mood swings, severe depression and obsessive compulsive shopping is a real problem for me. For some reason, I am totally obsessed with vouchers and discounts! Christmas has been really hard as I've got addicted to spending. I have a husband, who is so supportive, but has to help me control my spending. It's so tough on him, to see my wide spectrum of behaviours, both positive and negative.
I'm glad to have introduced myself a bit more, so others know more about me. I guess I can start posting on the appropriate threads now! Thanks again, look forward to others' advice and perspectives. xx

Kerome

Kerome

Hi Emerald, these kinds of disorders can take it out of you, that’s true. My stepfather has a variety of old age related disorders with his memory, eyes and ears, and my mother has to continually steer him and give directions. It’s frustrating to watch sometimes.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi again! Illness affects the people closest to us and we don't always take notice how. You're able to see it, which is fantastic.

One source of compassion is understanding what it is that's causing another person to suffer. As you are learning about the BPD diagnosis your husband can share in that learning, too. It's often that people closest to us only see the symptoms of mental illness and misconstrue them for character flaws. In some cases they are left to believe our personality makes us difficult people. Your symptoms don't define you. Your behavior when symptoms are inflamed doesn't represent the sort of person you are. We certainly feel that they do sometimes.

With any illness, knowing what's actually going on gives a measure of relief from the anxiety of not knowing what to expect. Also how to be supportive. Your husband sounds like someone who can be a strong advocate for you on the matter of treatment and also helping you cope. Perhaps he could benefit from understanding what a BPD diagnosis implies but also what it doesn't mean.

Emerald23

Emerald23

Thank you ever so much everyone for your kind words and perspective on this. Had a rubbish day today, I couldn't control an unnecessary outburst and overreacted and carried on a long argument with my hubby, which wasn't necessary. I will explain all tomorrow. Hubby wishes I could control my outbursts, but I can't at the moment. I'm in a right pickle!!
I have had a shower to make me feel better. I have a psychiatry appointment on Friday and hospital on Saturday for ongoing stomach issues. I think I am subconsciously nervous regarding both. x Thanks.

unspoken-words, thanks for your welcome. What does the Mental Health Assessment comment refer to under your post?