• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hello, a little help?

M

Mr_Mind

Hello, and thank you for taking the time out to read this.

So this is the first time that I have ever talked about this, ever, and was wondering if I could have some opinions.

I am a new father and recently I have been feeling super anxious about everything. I put it down to the new father, over cautious outlook, but then it had me thinking about my past.

Everything I remember doing seems to be attributed to anxiety in some way or another, and I have only just connected the dots. I smoke (used as an excuse to excuse myself and have a bit of me time). Don’t reply to texts (for fear of saying the wrong thing, or a joke being taken out of context) I have lost many friends this way. Work in a call centre and am constantly looking to get out (worried about when the next call is coming and what I can do about it, will I know what to de etc...). Want to work in IT (not customer facing. Also, computers are honest if that makes sense). Avoiding social contact (have a huge guilt complex and cannot stand confrontation). Underweight (I cant eat when I am stressed and never have breakfast as I am worried about the day)
The above in brackets are what I have realised when I really analysed my behaviour. Also my dog hurt his paw yesterday so he is limping and I just can’t deal with it. I am so, so freaking out about it. The Mrs is just like, “it’s nothing serious, he’ll be fine”, but I just can’t get over it. then I realise that he is going to die one day and I just can’t cope with it. It’s feeling feelings like this which I know hurt so much which stops me from being adventurous and following what I want to do.

Now, when I write it all down it seems like I do have some kind of anxiety, But I just don’t know if I do. I feel like if I talk to anyone it’ll get brushed under the carpet like you’re actually fine. Am I? I just don’t know. I don’t want to tell anyone I feel this way and especially not the Mrs. I feel like talking to someone face to face would help but I just don’t know what to do or where to start?!

So that’s it. In a nutshell my feelings and personality. Any advice would be great from anyone. As a P.S I would say that I don’t feel depressed (although some of the negative behaviours do affect me) so I don’t think I have depression, just super worried about everything.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this and if anyone has any tips I’m all ears! Also, if it’s not anxiety and perfectly normal then sorry for jumping in the forums, just thought that this community would be the best place to start. (Even now I’m considering deleting this post in case there are horrible replies!) But no more, help starts now! Thank you

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

I don’t experience any of the anxieties that you have mentioned here. Usually the threshold for any problem as to whether or not a person needs therapeutic help with something is whether or not as a result of the problem you have difficulty functioning normally in your life. It sounds like this anxiety you experience is a problem for you sufficient to make you a good candidate for
therapeutic intervention. I would look for a therapist specializing in anxiety or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, print out a copy of this message and bring it to them. Things can get better. It’s okay to need help with things sometimes. Seeking help now can ensure that things get better before they get worse.
❤💕

M

Mr_Mind

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

I don’t experience any of the anxieties that you have mentioned here. Usually the threshold for any problem as to whether or not a person needs therapeutic help with something is whether or not as a result of the problem you have difficulty functioning normally in your life. It sounds like this anxiety you experience is a problem for you sufficient to make you a good candidate for
therapeutic intervention. I would look for a therapist specializing in anxiety or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, print out a copy of this message and bring it to them. Things can get better. It’s okay to need help with things sometimes. Seeking help now can ensure that things get better before they get worse.
❤💕
Thank you Jess!

I will have a look into it. I think talking to someone would really help as I feel like I have a lot to explain and it’s all connected in some kind of weird way. I think perhaps I’ll talk to my GP soon and see if they can refer me on. If it goes well I’ll let you know! Thank you for your help and I wish you the best with your anxiety’s.

SnowFairy00

SnowFairy00

Are you in the UK? If you are you can self refer yourself for talking therapies. Just bear in mind in case your GP is not very helpful. I suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder which impacts my day to day life and when I went to see my GP all he did was give me a list of apps to download and told me to meditate. 🤨 I ended up referring myself via the below link and I'm now having Cognitive Behavioural Therapy every week.