• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello! A bit about mania

aleks1009

aleks1009

So, I am new here, this seems like a great place to be for people with mental health problems. It will be nice to get to talk to folks about being bipolar.

What I think a lot about in the past few months is mania. I know the triggers, at least most of them and of course, you can find online all about it, but what I can't find because I suppose it is different for everyone is, what do you do when you are manic? Is it just destructive, or in some aspect you have intellectual things where you write, read, or do anything similar? I would love to hear some thoughts.

Marrex

Marrex

It's kind of a mixed bag with me. Welcome, by the way!! I have Schizoaffective Bipolar, and my manic episodes can range from partaking in risk-behavior to more healthy stuff like what you described: reading, writing, singing even! It's not always good, it's not always bad. I like to joke that I'm the biggest flake I know.

aleks1009

aleks1009

It's kind of a mixed bag with me. Welcome, by the way!! I have Schizoaffective Bipolar, and my manic episodes can range from partaking in risk-behavior to more healthy stuff like what you described: reading, writing, singing even! It's not always good, it's not always bad. I like to joke that I'm the biggest flake I know.

Thank you :) I see. Were you sometimes fixated on an idea for example? In a sense that you couldn't take it out of your head?

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

If I am fortunate with mania I can feel it coming on and building up. At that point I enact my safety plan. But that safety plan is unique to me. Ultimately it involves seeing my psychiatrist, putting my friends and family on alert and enforcing my cash only rule, and buy only things after I have forced myself to wait a week. At one time I almost bought an old school medieval style loom! Glad I waited a week... Do you have much support?

aleks1009

aleks1009

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

If I am fortunate with mania I can feel it coming on and building up. At that point I enact my safety plan. But that safety plan is unique to me. Ultimately it involves seeing my psychiatrist, putting my friends and family on alert and enforcing my cash only rule, and buy only things after I have forced myself to wait a week. At one time I almost bought an old school medieval style loom! Glad I waited a week... Do you have much support?

Wov, that is awesome to have that kind of support. I mean, I just recently was properly diagnosed. Before, my psychiatrist thought it was only Borderline Personality Disorder, now it is Bipolar in addition to that. So my support plans are just starting.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
Then another thing you could do is begin a mood diary. Start using a mood tracker of some sort. Because over the long term it build up a picture. Which can be useful in better understanding warning signs or patterns. Its also useful to clinicians. With Bipolar as well sleep is so incredibly important. I try and force sleep hygiene practices. It does not always work but there is a lot of science backing up just how important it is with Bipolar to maintain a proper sleeping pattern to avoid greater severity of mood shifts. Just some food for thought.

JessisMe

JessisMe

For me my manias include grandiose delusions. I get all kinds of creative ideas. I try to start several businesses. I try and buy things with money I do not have (like cars and condos). I am often pretty irritable and can get into conflicts with people. More too but this is what comes to mind. Oh right, my bipolar has psychotic features so I often will harbor delusions, like all of my friends are rich and famous or that i have intimate relationships with certain celebrities, etc... It’s tough to be in one because usually the manias last for months. xo, j

aleks1009

aleks1009

For me my manias include grandiose delusions. I get all kinds of creative ideas. I try to start several businesses. I try and buy things with money I do not have (like cars and condos). I am often pretty irritable and can get into conflicts with people. More too but this is what comes to mind. Oh right, my bipolar has psychotic features so I often will harbor delusions, like all of my friends are rich and famous or that i have intimate relationships with certain celebrities, etc... It’s tough to be in one because usually the manias last for months. xo, j

And how would you describe your depressive episodes? For me they last much longer than mania.

aleks1009

aleks1009

Then another thing you could do is begin a mood diary. Start using a mood tracker of some sort. Because over the long term it build up a picture. Which can be useful in better understanding warning signs or patterns. Its also useful to clinicians. With Bipolar as well sleep is so incredibly important. I try and force sleep hygiene practices. It does not always work but there is a lot of science backing up just how important it is with Bipolar to maintain a proper sleeping pattern to avoid greater severity of mood shifts. Just some food for thought.

Makes sense. I downloaded an app for daily tracking of my mood, especially in order to show that to my doc. May I ask, what type of meds are you on? I am on Zoloft, Depakine, and sometimes some anxiolitics.

JessisMe

JessisMe

And how would you describe your depressive episodes? For me they last much longer than mania.
My depressive episodes are very long and it is like someone switched the light off. I have very few interests and am withdrawn and reclusive whereas when manic I tend to be very social and outgoing.

C

candycane

So, I am new here, this seems like a great place to be for people with mental health problems. It will be nice to get to talk to folks about being bipolar.

What I think a lot about in the past few months is mania. I know the triggers, at least most of them and of course, you can find online all about it, but what I can't find because I suppose it is different for everyone is, what do you do when you are manic? Is it just destructive, or in some aspect you have intellectual things where you write, read, or do anything similar? I would love to hear some thoughts.
Have you seen a mental health professional, to get a mental health work up?
That is were I would start first.
Hope this helps.
I wish you a lot of luck.

aleks1009

aleks1009

My depressive episodes are very long and it is like someone switched the light off. I have very few interests and am withdrawn and reclusive whereas when manic I tend to be very social and outgoing.

Thank you for sharing.

aleks1009

aleks1009

Have you seen a mental health professional, to get a mental health work up?
That is were I would start first.
Hope this helps.
I wish you a lot of luck.
Yes I started. She promised to get me into support groups, I think that will help a lot.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi Aleks welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have bipolar type 2 so I never really go in to full-blown mania, but when I'm Hypo I get obsessed with my hobbies and I go on shopping sprees spending way more money than I can afford usually on new hobby projects. I also get very social and hang with friends a lot. As a positive side-effect Ihave lots of energy to put into work. Unfortunately I really struggle with sleep.

aleks1009

aleks1009

Hi Aleks welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have bipolar type 2 so I never really go in to full-blown mania, but when I'm Hypo I get obsessed with my hobbies and I go on shopping sprees spending way more money than I can afford usually on new hobby projects. I also get very social and hang with friends a lot. As a positive side-effect Ihave lots of energy to put into work. Unfortunately I really struggle with sleep.

Have you or any of you guys here tried Lithium and do you have positive or negative effects on it? I am using Depakine Chrono for mania but after a year and a half, I still have problems. Thanks for sharing UpnDwn1978.