Hedgehog accident

S

Sarah63689

Hi, I ran over a hedgehog with my lawn mower this afternoon and killed it. The grass was long and I didn't think to check. I thought it was a stone and tried to carry on cutting the grass until I had a look to see what it was. I already feel like a terrible person and now I feel worse. I was feeling better this afternoon and now feel awful again.

J

Jules5

I am sorry this happened to you. It was just a mistake not intentional. I feel bad walking through the grass thinking I am stepping on ants. Do not be hard on yourself so sorry this happened. I almost hit a dog the other day-he was right in the middle of the road and the sun was in my eyes I did not see him but for some reason I braked. I was lucky I have 4 dogs at home.

toutatis

toutatis

@Sarah63689

Aaw, it was just an unfortunate accident. In the eyes of nature we're all equal, really. Anything can strike us down at any moment, so try not feel bad. It's all about learning. :hug:

S

Sarah63689

Thank you Jules. I've been trying to catch up with cutting the grass because it got overgrown. When I used the Strimmer I checked to see if there was anything there but didn't think about it when I was using the lawn mower, when it was shorter.

I feel bad that I wasn't thinking but it was an accident. It was a shock but I feel so sorry for it. I don't own a car but I suppose accidents like that happen all the time. I feel really guilty now but there's nothing I can do so will try to feel a bit better about it.

S

Sarah63689

Thank you @toutatis, that makes me feel a bit better. I feel bad if I tread on a snail or kill a spider by accident, never had anything like this happen before.

toutatis

toutatis

You're welcome,

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. I feel bad stepping on a snail, a bug, a worm. I even feel terrible if I accidentally frighten a cat.

Yes, I can definitely understand your distress. It'll be okay @Sarah63689. The hedgehog's okay too now, I believe. Ready for his next incarnation. :)

fazza

fazza

I know you must feel terrible but it is possible that the hedgehog had already died in the grass before you started cutting. Hedgehogs can be quite quick at getting out of the way. We have 3 living in our back garden and I was amazed at how quick they can move.

S

Sarah63689

Hi Fazza, I'm not sure if it could already have died because I didn't see it until it was too late. It is possible, won't be able to find out now but hope it's at rest.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I felt bad the other day, a fly flew - pun not intended - into my pint of beer the other day, got wet, pulled the little fella out, couldn't fly, but once dry, could fly, what did it do, fly straight back into my beer again, this time it did drown, suppose it died happy though.

fazza

fazza

I felt bad the other day, a fly flew - pun not intended - into my pint of beer the other day, got wet, pulled the little fella out, couldn't fly, but once dry, could fly, what did it do, fly straight back into my beer again, this time it did drown, suppose it died happy though.

Wow shouldn't laugh but my laptop screen now has coffee all over it after a sudden laughing fit after reading this. So sorry but sometimes the little things in death can trigger the funniest of reactions

S

Sarah63689

That couldn't be helped @Cpt_Stunning, at least you tried to save it the first time. I'm always rescuing insects out of my cat's drinking bowl, sometimes they're okay and sometimes not, it makes me feel bad when they die.There's not really much you can do if it's going to fly into your pint!

S

Sarah63689

Thank you so much for everyone's replies

B

BrindleStaffy

I can understand how you feel but it was a total accident and as hedgehogs are natural survivors, I suspect like other have posted that the hedgehog was more than likely already dead.

S

Sarah63689

Thank you Midnight :hug: