Heavy smoking

W

white-witch

I was diagnosed BP in 1994...I managed after a bad period of psychosis to get my life back together!
In 2003 I went psychotic again and smashed up my rented house was sectioned and became homeless. I then started to smoke heavily..my mindset was its a way to die. I now find 7 years on that my smoking is out of control. I am still not happy and my life is not what I want but I realise I am no longer in control of my smoking!
I just wondered if others smoke heavily or if anyone was able to give up? I have been in a depression for 7 years.

Belblac x

A

Apotheosis

Tobacco smoking I find incredibly hard to deal with. I smoke around 40 roll ups a day. I had a first cigarette at 11, & was smoking regularly by 16. Over 20 years of regular heavy smoking. But apart from the odd coffee, & the tablets I'm prescribed; I don't take any other substances.

I don't doubt that it is possible to stop smoking - but it is very hard. I would love to one day stop.

What methods to try stopping have you tried belblac?

amathus

amathus

Hi, since my breakdown in the nineties, my smoking levels have steadily increased, but, I have no inclination to want to give up.
I think some of it is habit; if I'm on the telephone I have to smoke, I always smoke after a meal, and a cigarette is the first thing I turn to in times of distress.
I have been advised to give up because of physical health problems, but I suppose in reality, I'm just 'burying my head in the sand', and carrying on.
I can identify with the wish to smoke myself to death tho'.

meteos.

J

Jules5

I smoke about two packs of cigarettes a day it has increased due to my anxiousness. I would love to quit but just keep on using them as something to have in my hands almost at all times Good luck if you are able to quit smoking it is very hard but it can happen.

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

I smoked heavily - around 60 a day for decades until I was diagnosed with COPD. My doctor gave me Champix, which was a wonder drug - it really relieved the cravings and sense of deprivation that I experienced when I gave up. Haven't smoked for over 8 years now - best thing I ever did.

L

Lunar Lady

Hi White-Witch

My quit date is 8th July - I've been cutting down as I head towards that date.

I've smoked for all of my adult life - the longest period I have ever stopped for is six months.

Hovering around 12 -15 a day now. It was easily two packs a day before - almost three on a sleepless night...which is often.

I'm hopeful this time. :peace:

L

Lunar Lady

You might want to join us puffers on this thread. xx

Cigarettes