• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

HEAT INDUCED PANIC ATTACKS - please share your experiences

H

hopefulsmile

Hello everybody!

I am new here tonight, and have come to search for some others who may feel the same as me - as my boyfriend really does an amazing job of looking after me, but I need to talk to people who are in the same situation and understand.

I was diagnosed with anxiety about 5 years ago, and depression 1 year ago.

I certainly have many anxiety triggers, but one of the main ones is being in any hot environment and feeling too warm.

When I get overwhelmed with heat and feelings - I get panicky, shaky, feel like I cannot breathe proper air, feel like I have to rip all my clothes off to my underwear, feel like I’m living an outer body experience, I feel dizzy and weak, and I cry...A LOT.

I used to have fainting episodes when I was younger due to low blood pressure, when I was around 10/11 (I am 24 now), and I always associate the feeling of being too hot, with how I used to feel before I would pass out (even though I have not passed out in over 10 years)

This hasn’t been a trigger in years, until last year when I was at work and someone passed out due to heat, and it brought everything back.

I have been seriously struggling, especially the past week, with the humid weather.

I have my safety behaviours - I have ice packs at the ready to put on my back and forehead, a huge water bottle, ice in the freezer, a portable fan and a large plug in fan, and I just have to hide away in my bedroom with the blinds closed, lie down and watch some Netflix or something to distract myself - or I just sleep.

I get so miserable. I feel like I can’t do anything - exercise, cooking, housework, go for picnics, any form of physical work or movement as I get so anxious. I avoid being outside, I have never been to a hot country on holiday, I never get the tube or fly, or take an elevator in case I overheat and can’t get out into fresh air. I sit near the exit of restaurants, cinemas and theatres. It’s ruining my life.

I have never come across anybody who has this problem, but I KNOW there are people out there - and I finally decided to look for a forum. So here I am! I just need some support from others who experience this...

Please can anybody share their experiences and how they get through, so I don’t feel so bad about myself and that I am a failure to my boyfriend and a burden. He always assures me I am not, but I feel like I am.

Thank you xxx

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I find i panic with the heat but i think it is the humidity making it harder to breathe.

Ice cold bath!

Z

Zoe1

yes cold showers, run cold water over your wrists
and accept that you cant do much !

LizBo

LizBo

Hi and :welcome: @hopefulsmile!

The basis of anxiety is adrenaline. If you think of your body's processes when being triggered, it's usually a post 'thought' event. Whatever increases your heartrate has the capacity to induce anxiety.

Apart from a medical condition (which I'd get checked with your GP) a memory is more likely the culprit. Is there anything in your past that might influence this symptom?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi there @hopefulsmile

Im assuming you're female? Have you ever had your hormone levels checked by a doctor? I know you're only 24 but this:
. When I get overwhelmed with heat and feelings - I get panicky, shaky, feel like I cannot breathe proper air, feel like I have to rip all my clothes off to my underwear, feel like I’m living an outer body experience, I feel dizzy and weak, and I cry...A LOT
Sounds exactly like my hot flashes,except for the crying part.

I went through an early menopause and when I was in my late 20's the doctor told me I was in perimenopause. I thought he was way wrong but it turned out he was right.

Im not saying it's early menopause for you,just that hormones can definitely play a huge role in anxiety and panic attacks and many other problems, including what ypu described. Are you on birth control pills? Is your monthly cycle regular?

Maybe a trip to the doctor and a complete check up might be a good idea?

Hugs

J

Julie41

Hello everybody!

I am new here tonight, and have come to search for some others who may feel the same as me - as my boyfriend really does an amazing job of looking after me, but I need to talk to people who are in the same situation and understand.

I was diagnosed with anxiety about 5 years ago, and depression 1 year ago.

I certainly have many anxiety triggers, but one of the main ones is being in any hot environment and feeling too warm.

When I get overwhelmed with heat and feelings - I get panicky, shaky, feel like I cannot breathe proper air, feel like I have to rip all my clothes off to my underwear, feel like I’m living an outer body experience, I feel dizzy and weak, and I cry...A LOT.

I used to have fainting episodes when I was younger due to low blood pressure, when I was around 10/11 (I am 24 now), and I always associate the feeling of being too hot, with how I used to feel before I would pass out (even though I have not passed out in over 10 years)

This hasn’t been a trigger in years, until last year when I was at work and someone passed out due to heat, and it brought everything back.

I have been seriously struggling, especially the past week, with the humid weather.

I have my safety behaviours - I have ice packs at the ready to put on my back and forehead, a huge water bottle, ice in the freezer, a portable fan and a large plug in fan, and I just have to hide away in my bedroom with the blinds closed, lie down and watch some Netflix or something to distract myself - or I just sleep.

I get so miserable. I feel like I can’t do anything - exercise, cooking, housework, go for picnics, any form of physical work or movement as I get so anxious. I avoid being outside, I have never been to a hot country on holiday, I never get the tube or fly, or take an elevator in case I overheat and can’t get out into fresh air. I sit near the exit of restaurants, cinemas and theatres. It’s ruining my life.

I have never come across anybody who has this problem, but I KNOW there are people out there - and I finally decided to look for a forum. So here I am! I just need some support from others who experience this...

Please can anybody share their experiences and how they get through, so I don’t feel so bad about myself and that I am a failure to my boyfriend and a burden. He always assures me I am not, but I feel like I am.

Thank you xxx
Hi
I am the same ! I have anxiety & depression
As soon as I know that tomorrow will be hot 🥵 l go into worry mode - keep looking at the weather to see how hot it will be ... constantly on my mind
I get lightheaded- shaky- feel as though my body is overheating burning skin- scared
I just want to lay on my bed with my fan on & sleep
I put my feet in a bowl of cold water & face wipes in the fridge for my face neck & arms which helps cool me but depending on how much Ive got myself in a state as to how long it takes to calm down

Z

Zoe1

today I didnt look at the weather report all day
I know it will be the same until Thursday
so I dont need to keep looking at it , which I found helpful

Antimatter

Antimatter

Hi smile and welcome to the group. I have the same trouble as you, few of us out there and it is horrible. Truly horrible! Smells like aerosols or just plain dust can set me off. Jewelery around my neck or tight fitting clothes.

Feel free to ask away privately or openly, I have been suffering with this for almost 30 years, I am now 46 and have been through alot with it.