• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Heart skipping beats, really anxious over it

A

Amanda12xo

Hey everyone 😊
Just a little bit about me, I’ve had generalized anxiety for years now I started off with ocd when I was a kid and had horrible separation anxiety and then as I got older it become more of a health anxiety and now I have generalized anxiety. I deal with it everyday in some form and I definitely have my good and bad days. I just joined recently and I just wanted to see if anyone else has this too and just get some feedback because trying to explain how I feel to someone who has never had it happen is incredibly hard and I really could use the support as this is really taking a toll on me. I feel alone with this and I was really hoping that someone else understands what I’m going through. ❤

so years ago I had started getting skipped heart beats when they happen they take my breath away and it’s a terrifying feeling I legit feel like I’m going to die. They have come and gone throughout the years but lately they have been back stronger and worse then ever they come and go at random even when I’m doing something fun and not worrying or have anxiety. Although when I am stressed I notice them more. Sometimes I even get episodes of them where I have maybe 6 or 7 in a row until my heart goes back to its normal rhythm. I’ve gone to my doctor and they sent me to a cardiologist I’ve had ekgs done, a holtermonitor and an echocardiogram and bloodwork done and nothing ever shows and they say structurally and everything my heart is fine but this is still happening, the doctors don’t know why and it’s so scary. It’s affecting my work and is part of the reason I just quit my job. it’s honestly affecting my life all together. My husband has gone through so much with this and with my anxiety alone I’m scared I will lose everyone I love because it affects me so much. When it happens it takes my breath away like someone just knocked the wind out of me and I feel like I can’t breathe my entire body gets this wave of an anxiety rush and a lot of times it will instantly put me into a panic attack I’ll start crying shaking and feeling like I’m going to have a heart attack or something like I should rush to the ER it’s just horrible the last one I had was on thanksgiving right before we sat down to eat. Ugh. 🙄 it’s embarrassing when it happens and I freak out but the feeling is terrifying!
I’ve tried numerous times to explain it to my family but everyone seems to keep thinking it’s just my anxiety which I hope it is!

I’m really struggling with this I have horrible anxiety that something is wrong with my heart that could be causing this but the echo came back normal. I’m convinced that this is not normal and terrified I could go into cardiac arrest or something from it.

Please please please if anybody has this or has ANY advice for me I would greatly appreciate it!! 💖

L

Laudanum

If you have had all the standard tests, it sounds like your heart is fine.

Most people have a few ectopics a day, but most don't notice them. It is possible to have thousands a day (although this isn't normal). Did the holter monitor pick any up? When I had a 24 hour one it picked up four (3 PACs and 1 PVC).

Lots of things can cause them, especially anxiety, caffeine and bananas.

An echocardiogram mostly picks up congenital structural defects, so these don't change much over time.

Having said all that I still get freaked out when I get noticeable ones.

A

Amanda12xo

No the holter monitor didn’t capture anything but I didn’t have them much while I was wearing it. Just frustrating and worrisome. Definitely not a fun feeling.

fazza

fazza

If you have had all the standard tests, it sounds like your heart is fine.

Most people have a few ectopics a day, but most don't notice them. It is possible to have thousands a day (although this isn't normal). Did the holter monitor pick any up? When I had a 24 hour one it picked up four (3 PACs and 1 PVC).

Lots of things can cause them, especially anxiety, caffeine and bananas.

An echocardiogram mostly picks up congenital structural defects, so these don't change much over time.

Having said all that I still get freaked out when I get noticeable ones.
Very good points raised here.
I had a holster and it highlighted 640 ectopic beats. I had an ecg and ultrasound and treadmill test. All came back clear.
I find if I don't eat enough or I lack sleep I get them.
I was prescribed propranolol but this was stopped a year later when I started blood pressure medication (bisoprolol). I very rarely get them now at all.

L

Laudanum

I had a holster and it highlighted 640 ectopic beats. I had an ecg and ultrasound and treadmill test. All came back clear.
I was prescribed propranolol but this was stopped a year later when I started blood pressure medication (bisoprolol). I very rarely get them now at all.

I had an echocardiogram and a treadmill test too. I have propranalol, but take them sporadically. I notice ectopics occasionally but don't usually pay them much attention. Glad your ectopics have settled down.

The worst thing about health anxiety is that the anxiety itself makes any symptoms much worse.

A

Amanda12xo

A

Amanda12xo

I’m currently taking propanlol for them but still have episodes of them which I actually had tonight as well! My doctor prescribed me bispralol fine rate and I’ve been terrified to start that new medication because my heart rate is pretty slow and the propanlol is honestly like my security blanket the bisparolol works good for you?

R

Rion123

Hey everyone 😊
Just a little bit about me, I’ve had generalized anxiety for years now I started off with ocd when I was a kid and had horrible separation anxiety and then as I got older it become more of a health anxiety and now I have generalized anxiety. I deal with it everyday in some form and I definitely have my good and bad days. I just joined recently and I just wanted to see if anyone else has this too and just get some feedback because trying to explain how I feel to someone who has never had it happen is incredibly hard and I really could use the support as this is really taking a toll on me. I feel alone with this and I was really hoping that someone else understands what I’m going through. ❤

so years ago I had started getting skipped heart beats when they happen they take my breath away and it’s a terrifying feeling I legit feel like I’m going to die. They have come and gone throughout the years but lately they have been back stronger and worse then ever they come and go at random even when I’m doing something fun and not worrying or have anxiety. Although when I am stressed I notice them more. Sometimes I even get episodes of them where I have maybe 6 or 7 in a row until my heart goes back to its normal rhythm. I’ve gone to my doctor and they sent me to a cardiologist I’ve had ekgs done, a holtermonitor and an echocardiogram and bloodwork done and nothing ever shows and they say structurally and everything my heart is fine but this is still happening, the doctors don’t know why and it’s so scary. It’s affecting my work and is part of the reason I just quit my job. it’s honestly affecting my life all together. My husband has gone through so much with this and with my anxiety alone I’m scared I will lose everyone I love because it affects me so much. When it happens it takes my breath away like someone just knocked the wind out of me and I feel like I can’t breathe my entire body gets this wave of an anxiety rush and a lot of times it will instantly put me into a panic attack I’ll start crying shaking and feeling like I’m going to have a heart attack or something like I should rush to the ER it’s just horrible the last one I had was on thanksgiving right before we sat down to eat. Ugh. 🙄 it’s embarrassing when it happens and I freak out but the feeling is terrifying!
I’ve tried numerous times to explain it to my family but everyone seems to keep thinking it’s just my anxiety which I hope it is!

I’m really struggling with this I have horrible anxiety that something is wrong with my heart that could be causing this but the echo came back normal. I’m convinced that this is not normal and terrified I could go into cardiac arrest or something from it.

Please please please if anybody has this or has ANY advice for me I would greatly appreciate it!! 💖
Hi amanda, Im wondering how are u now...? Ive been experiencing the same thing and all of my tests came back normal.. these episodes come and go and i agree with you that its super terrifying.. have you figured something out? Do u have an email or anything so we can chat? ^^

K

Kelm1982

Hi Reading your story about missed heartbeats sounds exactly what i am experiencing its so scary and im constantly living in fear something bad is going to happen and i fear the doctors have missed something its taking over my life here if u ever need to chat

L

Laudanum

I've posted this a few times, but ectopics aren't necessarily anything to worry about.

ipanema

ipanema

Hey everyone 😊

I have exactly the same problem! In 2014 I went to the first time to the cardiologist, I did all the standard exams and put me on bisoprolol 5mg with the diagnosis of arrhythmia.

It got worse so in 2017 they prescribed me 10mg.

In 2018 I still felt like it did nothing so they changed it to Procorolan (I don’t know how it is called outside of EU), 15mg a day.

In 2019 I kept feeling that terrible feeling on my chest. It felt like I was about to have a stroke or something, so I went to the best cardiologist in my city. I repeated the exams and the results came the same - my heart was skipping beats several times a day. He said that that was absolutely normal, the problem was really not in my heart, but in my nervous system.

I take bisoprolol 2,5 and also started taking meds for anxiety since then. I feel better now!

I don’t know if it is related, but I also have another condition - vasovagal syncope - basically my nervous system cannot control my blood pressure and I faint easily. Specially when nervous or standing for too long. When that happens I usually feel that feeling in my chest getting worse. Don’t know if it is related though!

J

Jolly

Hey everyone 😊

Hi I have been suffering the same and came across a site with dr s Gupta of York who has done numerous things on palpitations and anxiety. He is a cardiologist and it made a lot of sense to me. I often listen to his video which helps. Take care everyone and look him up xx

L

Laudanum

Hi I have been suffering the same and came across a site with dr s Gupta of York who has done numerous things on palpitations and anxiety. He is a cardiologist and it made a lot of sense to me. I often listen to his video which helps. Take care everyone and look him up xx
Indeed - just click on the video 3 posts up, and check out his other youtube videos.

J

Jolly

Hey everyone 😊

[/QUOTE
Hi. I have been diagnosed with ventricular ectopics. I spoke to private consultant cardiologist today over Skype as I could not get in touch with anyone to explain the ectopics. He was really good and said if I can control the anxiety that will help the ectopics and vice versa. I have had GAD for donkeys years and even when speaking to over Skype he noticed my body language. I am seeing a counsellor now for this but he advised to download a book called Barry mcdonah - dare. I have downloaded it and will proceed to read it. He did say it is very interesting to read and will make sense. I do hope you feel better. Please feel free to share this. Take care as I do know what you are going through and you are not alone. Please take a look at the download as it does make sense. Let me know how you get on xx