• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Heart palpitations and ocd

D

DaisyLaCrazy

I have been diagnosed with a heart condition. I was doing well but after an argument with my partner it triggered my ocd and my heart is just racing - I then have thoughts like ‘this is going to make my heart worse, this is going to kill me, I won’t be around for my babies, I can’t stop this, I don’t know how to etc’ and obviously this keeps my heart racing!

I don’t know how to calm myself , and when I try to I realise I am actually engaging in a compulsion - repeating over I will be ok, this will pass or other thoughts until it clicks and I feel I can breathe properly.

so my question is how do I deal with this as I feel trapped - I have a racing heart and I don’t know how to calm it down (distractions are hard when this anxious) do I just let it race and panic? I don’t know what to do :-(

S

singsongfun

What heart condition have you been diagnosed with?

D

DaisyLaCrazy

What heart condition have you been diagnosed with?
I have possible cardiomyopathy picked up in my pregnancy. I’m waiting on more tests now
I’ve had the baby.

S

singsongfun

Hopefully you can get some help or advice on here.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

This is common

What you have to remind yourself is that the heart is a very very tough organ. It doesn't stop ticking for no reason.

Your anxiety is giving you the palpitations. Best thing to do is get an exercise bike and make yourself get heart palpitations naturally. It will take time but your brain will learn not to be scared when you get them. Jogging and swimming will do it too. Aerobics classes if you can attend any.

At the same time, learn breathing exercises and meditation. Takes time, but sure works. You will be able eventually to get rid of panic altogether.

I quite enjoy heart palpitations now. Not sure what causes them but I know it aint a heart attack.

D

DaisyLaCrazy

This is common

What you have to remind yourself is that the heart is a very very tough organ. It doesn't stop ticking for no reason.

Your anxiety is giving you the palpitations. Best thing to do is get an exercise bike and make yourself get heart palpitations naturally. It will take time but your brain will learn not to be scared when you get them. Jogging and swimming will do it too. Aerobics classes if you can attend any.

At the same time, learn breathing exercises and meditation. Takes time, but sure works. You will be able eventually to get rid of panic altogether.

I quite enjoy heart palpitations now. Not sure what causes them but I know it aint a heart attack.
but my problem is I have heart disease, so I worry mine could stop ticking as it’s not as ‘tough’ as the average persons. Saying that I beat covid during 36 weeks of pregnancy and survived childbirth twice

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

but my problem is I have heart disease, so I worry mine could stop ticking as it’s not as ‘tough’ as the average persons. Saying that I beat covid during 36 weeks of pregnancy and survived childbirth twice
There you go

And there are hundreds of different heart diseases. I got high blood pressure, runs in family.

B

BlueWater

DaisyLaCrazy, please go see your GP or psychiatrist or both and your cardiologist. Let them put you at ease with their words and give you some medicine to calm your racing mind. Write a list, take it with you and tell them what's bothering you. I've reached the point with my OCD where no amount of yoga, meditation or prayer will ease it. I take medicine to fall asleep, medicine to get me going in the morning and now I need to settle on a medicine that will make the tornado of thoughts stop so my mind can finally rest for the first time in ages. I have few side effects from my medicines, mostly some dry mouth and constipation. Good can come your way. Reach out to professionals.

L

Laudanum

This is common

Whereas I agree that the heart is a tough organ, and must be to survive a lifetime of constant work, I wouldn't advise someone with a heart condition to embark on a rigorous training schedule without consulting with their doctor first.

Keesha

Keesha

Whereas I agree that the heart is a tough organ, and must be to survive a lifetime of constant work, I wouldn't advise someone with a heart condition to embark on a rigorous training schedule without consulting with their doctor first.
Exactly. 👍