• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hearing your heartbeat

R

Rachelrc194

Hi just wondering if anyone suffers from the sensation of feeling their own heart beat or more specifically feeling like its beating in a strange way. This is more so in the middle of the night or when it's quiet in the day. I feel like I can feel my heart almost surging and can hear my own beat at night it feels like it's irregular although I'm sure it's not its my perception of the beat. I've no pain or any other symptoms at all just this strange feeling of being to aware of every little beat or sensation and also checking my pulse to check the rhythm is regular. Would be great to hear from anyone else who suffers this form of anxiety. Thanks

H

Hiraeth

oh yes! I feel like my brain focuses on little details when I start to panic and my heartbeat is SO loud! I think that is very normal because your body is going into a survival mode. It's called fight or flight ( freeze) response.

brokenbeauty

brokenbeauty

Hi just wondering if anyone suffers from the sensation of feeling their own heart beat or more specifically feeling like its beating in a strange way. This is more so in the middle of the night or when it's quiet in the day. I feel like I can feel my heart almost surging and can hear my own beat at night it feels like it's irregular although I'm sure it's not its my perception of the beat. I've no pain or any other symptoms at all just this strange feeling of being to aware of every little beat or sensation and also checking my pulse to check the rhythm is regular. Would be great to hear from anyone else who suffers this form of anxiety. Thanks
Wow! I’m going through the exact same thing. Everyday I feel like my heartbeat is strange and I have come to think I can feel my blood flowing. And in that moment I have an anxiety episode because I feel like its not normal or that I might have a heart attack. So I’m constantly checking my pulse and having panic attacks because of it.

I

im_broken

It could also be high blood pressure from anxiety, my partner suffers with hearing her own heartbeat very loud in her ears.

Loobypie

Loobypie

Wow! I’m going through the exact same thing. Everyday I feel like my heartbeat is strange and I have come to think I can feel my blood flowing. And in that moment I have an anxiety episode because I feel like its not normal or that I might have a heart attack. So I’m constantly checking my pulse and having panic attacks because of it.
Oh you sound just like me :( Bought an oximeter because of it so I can see my pulse and make sure I'm ok 😣 x

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

With any potential heartbeat issue, best to see your dr for tests including ecg and 48 hr ecg etc to rule out physical causes.

W

WhatSarahSaid

I used to get panic attacks from thinking too much about my heartbeat. It just weirded me out for some reason.

B

Blue33

This is pretty much how I’ve been feeling recently. Constantly checking my Fitbit to see what it says my pulse is and if it’s a little bit high I start thinking all kinds. Just can’t seem to relax

M

Mel123

Yup! I do this all the time too.. I sends me into a panic. I've had 3 EKGs and a 14 day heart monitor and all have been totally normal. Still when I can feel it or hear it it makes me freak out. I think it's a pretty common problem we go through.

B

Blue33

I’ve been told I need a 24 heart monitor but the clinic hasn’t re opened yet 😞 so gonna be anxious waiting for that now

P

plumsadness

Hmm, I think I may have felt a similar sensation but I haven't had heartbeats like that since either my late teens or when I turned twenty. It was very alarming to say the least, one time I woke up with my heart beating very rapidly for no reason that I could recall. It most definitely happened when I was extremely anxious, which was nearly all the time back then.