Hearing voices

N

Nutter_09

I have not yet been diagnosed with anything but depression but yesterday, I was in a bit of a state as I was due to pop into work just to say hello. I was having anxiety and panic attacks so ran a bath to try and calm myself. As i was just about to get in, I heard a friend of mine calling my sister. I knew I was all alone in the house as everyone had gone to work hours before.
I was terrified and went out to see how she got in. No one was their and I found myself running round the house desperate for her to be their to prove I was not crazy.

My Mum thinks it may have just been coz I was in such a state and my mind playing tricks.

Has anyone else had something like this?

Are their any signs I should be looking out for?

jax

jax

I've had many hallucinations in my life - if that is what happened to you. I tend not to have them nowadays that much. Usually they are stress evoked. i can see things and also hear things. At one point my Pdoc said that I was having tactile hallucinations. They scared the pants of me. I Have not had that type for some time - thankfully.
At the minute the type of hallucinations I am having are . . .
Hypnagogic hallucinations. I remember this term for some reason or other from studying psychology in university. It's weird that I remember this from 17 years ago. I also remember the other type of this hallucination too that occurs when you a just waking . . . hypnopompic. However, I am sure I pronounce it incorrectly. My pdoc knew.
Hypnagogic hallucination happen just when you are about to nod off. I have them almost every night at the minute. I can deal with them well as they happen only for a short time. I told my psychiatric nurse about these type of hallucinations and she hadn't a clue what they were lol. at least she is honest. I guess maybe they are obscure.
Jacqui

N

Nutter_09

Sounds scary!
I have not had anything like it since, fingers crossed XXX

D

Dollit

I hear the phone ringing when I'm stressed, both the mobile and the landline. I've heard people in the flat or just outside when no one could be there. It is scary - I've had hallucinations with sleep paralysis. I used to hear classical music when under stress but not anymore.

I was talking about this sort of thing to a doctor friend a few weeks ago. The brain/mind is incredibly sophisticated and complex and so much can go wrong. It can also be incredibly stupid in finding ways to cope.

jax

jax

Dollit, I too had hallucinations with sleep paralysis. They were when I had some of my tactile hallucinations. It was so scary to not be able to get up and walk or go to someplace of comfort.
LOL did the classical music soothe you at all? Guess it depends on if you enjoy it. I do love classical - along with all sorts of other music.

D

Dollit

Yes, the classical music did soothe me, I really miss not hearing it. About 5 years now and other things kick in these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crow King Bipolar Forum 5
A Bipolar Forum 15
A Bipolar Forum 10
LadyDomino Bipolar Forum 6