• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Hearing voices.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
One of my old friends was asking what happened to me the last 7 years. I told him I was diagnosed with schiz. I said I hear voices. I just felt stupid and ridiculous.

Later on the voices told me it was my imagination which is ironic.

I mainly hear voices when I am at home, which is an improvement. In the old days it was everywhere, and life was really tough.

At least at the minute I can escape the voices. I don't hear them at work.

But at home it is still a large part of my life. I wonder if anybody else hears voices just at home?

Before this forum I thought I was alone with my symptoms, but it brought me great peace and comfort to find out that there were others with a similar affliction.

FunkTheFear

FunkTheFear

How did your friend react? I can't imagine hearing voices all the time, the mixed noises would drive me crazy :hug:

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
How did your friend react? I can't imagine hearing voices all the time, the mixed noises would drive me crazy :hug:
We just changed subjects. I don't think he wanted to talk about it. That is the thing, I can never talk about it. Would be nice to just have a conversation about it with someone, without feeling like I have to prove it or that I am being ridiculous.

I think people generally think it is imagination or something.

FunkTheFear

FunkTheFear

We just changed subjects. I don't think he wanted to talk about it. That is the thing, I can never talk about it. Would be nice to just have a conversation about it with someone, without feeling like I have to prove it or that I am being ridiculous.

I think people generally think it is imagination or something.
Its hard sometimes to know when it's ok to talk about things or when the other person might not want to. See I'm quite nosy and would want to ask about it all, but also aware that asking lots of questions might be intrusive. Sometimes it's easier to avoid a conversation in case I say the wrong thing. I always feel ridiculous telling anyone I have had a MH diagnosis, like I'm attention seeking or something. I even avoid 'liking' or sharing things on Facebook I relate to that might imply I have a MH 'issue' because I don't like people knowing things about me.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I hear a voice all day long and everywhere I go, I'm trying to negotiate some silence especially when out at friends, on groups with the early intervention team and at night when I'm trying to fall asleep but haven't been able to do so for the past 2-3 years, maybe this will be the year he calms down but I doubt it.

I can talk with one friend about it and he's ok with my explanation of voices the same goes with close family, I think most of you know my explanation so I won't go into again but it's defiantly not imagination, before I started hearing a voice myself I probably would have thought that though.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I don't here voices just at home, but I do hear them more when I am alone. When I am out and about, interacting with other people and doing things, I suspect that I am distracted from the voices more and I don't notice them as much.

albie

albie

If I keep busy then I don't hear the voices. But then my voices don't sound like a voice but are rather thoughts that don't come from me.

Stay busy and maybe they will lay off you.

F

Funnyday

I can hear voices 24-7. They even wake me up when I'm asleep. They like to guide my dreaming.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I can hear voices 24-7. They even wake me up when I'm asleep. They like to guide my dreaming.
That has happened to me once. A girl shouted out the name of this girl I dated, and it just woke me up. It was really weird. I woke up to her name ringing in my ears. Those days my voices were awful, but it is not so bad anymore.

OddyUmi

OddyUmi

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well said albie. Stay active until bedtime and wear ear plugs or headphones during sleep.

OddyUmi

OddyUmi

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ho ho ho

This is a piece of lyrics from Santa Claus song as to what your voices are doing:

He sees you when you're sleepin'
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake

Wow whaaaaat?! LoL just joking/Seriously though.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
This is a piece of lyrics from Santa Claus song as to what your voices are doing:

lol. Yes does make you wonder.

N

natalie

Try listening to audio music, and like the last post, with headphones, and that should comfortably and safely do the trick. Even listen to music late night, and or if struggling with disruptive sleep overnight, listen to music then, see how that might help.

And also, I personally workout to my fitness dvds, that in terms originally throuhg trauma, that working out in fitness certainly keeps my voices down, and at bay, and should I point out further again, also I am on med. I take very safe dose of 25ml, to help counteract and surpress the voices.

OddyUmi

OddyUmi

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes natalie, I'm sorry. I meant to say listen to music with headphones on when you're about to go to bed/sleep.

OddyUmi

OddyUmi

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yea Burt, it does lol. Our voices are a mean santa claus. He's not jolly at all. Well maybe overseas, but not in American. If you get my drift lol.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Now I'm never going to think of that song in a good way ever again. Very creepy now. lol

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
though diagnosed schitzo i claim i don't hear voices at least on meds, i applied for a brent mind hearing voices group the women told my then support worker i wasn't bothered by hearing voices and a no in the group are, think she was worried i'd be a dusruptive influence

camden mind said i could join they're group but would have to pay, they suggested i get personalised payments to pay, meanwhile on planet earth they've closed my case

i guess it depends how you define voices when i asked what the definition was one psychiatrist said you winding me up, he said delusions of reference where say you overhear something and relate it to yoursekf isn't hearing voices, i think thats a difference between american and british psychiatry