Hearing voices

SammySam

SammySam

When I get asked if I hear voices I say no because I always thought hearing voices was constantly hearing a jumbled mess of different voices in your head all day long. I have never experienced that, so my reply would be no. But I do hear inaudible whispers and every so often a low voice simply saying "hey" outside of my head. But I never counted it as hearing voices because I assumed it needed to be more severe I guess? The only time I have ever felt like I was actually hearing voices is when I haven't slept for a day and I'm in this state where I'm almost falling to sleep but I just can't, I hear a bunch of random voices. Sometimes they yell at me. But again I assumed it was just because I was tired and I'm sure anyone could hear voices if they were just very tired and laying for hours in the dark about to fall to sleep, your mind messes with you. So my question is, is it valid to say yes, I hear voices?

Last edited:
LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you looking for therapy or medication? is it distressing?

SammySam

SammySam

How the hell did I post this under seasonal schizoaffective disorder??? Ugh this site!

SammySam

SammySam

Oh neither. I'm already on medication and I no longer need to see a therapist. :) I was just wondering if I should be telling people that I do hear voices because I never thought I should have because I didn't think the little bit that I heard counted enough.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You can do as you please, I don't really understand what you are getting at.

SammySam

SammySam

It was just a simple question because I was confused and didn't want to tell people misinformation about me.. Because I was told I could express how I'm feeling on this site.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
People do hear voices in the normal spectrum, I have read.

E

Eigau

Hi SammySam, it does sound like you have voices. At the moment, they don't seem to be disrupting your life too much, which is good. Do you find the whispers clearer just before sleep and as you're waking up?

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When a psychiatrist asks you if you hear voices, you could tell the psychiatrist exactly what you said on the first post of this thread.

You wouldn't just say "yes I hear voices". You would explain whether they were troubling you or not.

A lot of people who hear voices don't realise they are hearing voices. (Including me). So when a psychiatrist asked me if I heard voices or hallucinated, I said no because it was so real to me I had no idea.

It is really good that you have insight, by which I mean when you hear noises, you know it is because of lack of sleep and it is just a hallucination.

madfryer

madfryer

I wonder if the voices up there know you can hear them i suppose it is because i answered them they homed in on me and we now have dialogue ..... intresting

SammySam

SammySam

I would just hear them throughout the day some days. :/ When i'm very tired they turn into actual talking just before sleep. Never as i am waking up.

SammySam

SammySam

Thank you for the advice! I will be sure to explain it better to my psychiatrist. :)

R

RandomPerson

Oh neither. I'm already on medication and I no longer need to see a therapist. :) I was just wondering if I should be telling people that I do hear voices because I never thought I should have because I didn't think the little bit that I heard counted enough.
If you were hearing voices you would know it. When it's bad it's constant and it shouts at you completely taking over your mind driving you to attempt suicide out of fear. It can mimic other people around you or in your personal life, threaten you or loved ones, and insult you till you have no pride left. It makes it hard to stare people in the eyes because you begin to believe your hearing thoughts and have to rely on reading lips. Your mind races uncontrollably and you shake. If untreated you can have full fledged conversations with yourself, scream in your sleep, and even have visual hallucinations. Even then it won't happen when your asked because it's a problem within our own brain. Talking to people is actually the best way to get the paranoia out of your head. Most people that attempt suicide over hearing voices feel there alone with no one to talk to about the scary things they hear, feel, and see.

Ill give you an example. A little before I attempted suicide I thought my friend I lived with threatened to kick me out and kill my pet. I was ready to defend my animal and be homeless while worrying about holding 2 jobs after putting one of my animals down. I found out months later that it was all in my head. I swore that I heard him talk about kicking me out to get a new roommate. When I was at the hospital I was talking to myself in third person about killing myself in specific ways completely against my will. I still don't know whether it was the staff or my own mind. That's how bad it can effect you. I lost 3 jobs due to it. Also the same animal that I thought my friend threatened to kill died because I left a heating lamp too close to the cage. 1 month before it happened I saw a shadow figure reach its arm out to her cage and touch her. The same shadow figure that used to attack me and watch me when I was younger. It's traumatizing.

I'd say as long as it doesn't get aggressive or loud and try to turn you against your friends and family I wouldn't worry. If you start to feel afraid of people, find communication difficult, shake a lot, or start to visually hallucinate find the nearest person you know you can trust that won't judge you and talk to them about it. I can tell you from experience that if you let your mind drag you into a depressive suicidal state to the point you attempt suicide it messes with your head for a long time. I'm still on meds because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
SammySam

SammySam

If you were hearing voices you would know it. When it's bad it's constant and it shouts at you completely taking over your mind driving you to attempt suicide out of fear. It can mimic other people around you or in your personal life, threaten you or loved ones, and insult you till you have no pride left. It makes it hard to stare people in the eyes because you begin to believe your hearing thoughts and have to rely on reading lips. Your mind races uncontrollably and you shake. If untreated you can have full fledged conversations with yourself, scream in your sleep, and even have visual hallucinations. Even then it won't happen when your asked because it's a problem within our own brain. Talking to people is actually the best way to get the paranoia out of your head. Most people that attempt suicide over hearing voices feel there alone with no one to talk to about the scary things they hear, feel, and see.

Ill give you an example. A little before I attempted suicide I thought my friend I lived with threatened to kick me out and kill my pet. I was ready to defend my animal and be homeless while worrying about holding 2 jobs after putting one of my animals down. I found out months later that it was all in my head. I swore that I heard him talk about kicking me out to get a new roommate. When I was at the hospital I was talking to myself in third person about killing myself in specific ways completely against my will. I still don't know whether it was the staff or my own mind. That's how bad it can effect you. I lost 3 jobs due to it. Also the same animal that I thought my friend threatened to kill died because I left a heating lamp too close to the cage. 1 month before it happened I saw a shadow figure reach its arm out to her cage and touch her. The same shadow figure that used to attack me and watch me when I was younger. It's traumatizing.

I'd say as long as it doesn't get aggressive or loud and try to turn you against your friends and family I wouldn't worry. If you start to feel afraid of people, find communication difficult, shake a lot, or start to visually hallucinate find the nearest person you know you can trust that won't judge you and talk to them about it. I can tell you from experience that if you let your mind drag you into a depressive suicidal state to the point you attempt suicide it messes with your head for a long time. I'm still on meds because of it.
Yes, I agree. Before i got on my meds i used to see shadows often and have very bad delusions. I wanted to attempt suicide a number of times as well because of multiple reasons. I still deal with psychosis every so often but the whispering i have gotten used to. When i hear voices at night it does scare me but i can tell myself its just all in my head. Disorders are different for everyone. I'm sorry your voices make it so you can not tell whats real and what isn't, I do know how it feels to not know whats real and what isn't from having bad delusions like thinking my mom was trying to poisen me with the food she made me. Hearing voices was never a big issue with me. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thanks for shareing your story with me. :)

R

RandomPerson

Well I just hope you can learn from my mistakes if it ever gets that bad for you. Some of us don't have anyone understanding to talk to about these things when they happen so I guess that's why forums like this exist. If I just had someone to talk to that wouldn't laugh at me and put me down then I could have came to my senses. Really loud aggressive hallucinations come with a fear that's hard to shake off and forget.

SammySam

SammySam

Well I just hope you can learn from my mistakes if it ever gets that bad for you. Some of us don't have anyone understanding to talk to about these things when they happen so I guess that's why forums like this exist. If I just had someone to talk to that wouldn't laugh at me and put me down then I could have came to my senses. Really loud aggressive hallucinations come with a fear that's hard to shake off and forget.
I was lucky to have understanding people in my life when I was at my worst.I don't know how I would be if I didn't have any support like I did. I agree its a good thing these forums exists for people who never had that and I'm glad your doing better now. :)

D

depressed chris

I'm getting very worried and scared because I have been hearing voices and having hallucinations for a while now and only admitted it to my CBT councillor this morning, I don't know what he's going to do though. It's getting to the point where I'm getting angry with myself and them and started feeling very depressed and suicidal some weeks ago. For instance if I'm using something that is potentially dangerous I get a voice telling me to either injure myself, basically anywhere it would be likely to do a severe injury or kill me. I'm really frightened and was wondering if someone could give me some clue ads to what I can do about it. Please help before I lose my mind.

madfryer

madfryer

hi chris
I brought my voices on by myself i used the ouija board a lot decided to do it by myself ending up talking to my voices heaven my god horrible at first but someone on this forum mentioned soul awakening when your emotions are empty ti take it they fill you up hence all my games covering so many emotions im sticking to that thought did not know it at the time ending up doing what you are contemplating sectioned did not own up to my voices just self harm husband sprung me you could try talking to them even if its just to tell them to shut up or keep ignoring them and drowning them out with music breath deeply and concentrate on it that may help as long as it holds your attention we have an understanding we talk in the evening and first thing in the morning but we are all generally okay

D

depressed chris

I've been through so much in my life, abuse, rape, rape again, postnatal depression x3, breakdown, mental abuse, and then my daughters so-called father's brother tried to set fire to my flat while I was pregnant with her, it don't wonder that I have voices wittering at me even my nightmares are hounded by them sometimes I think they are right that I would be better off out of it. I don't know how to cope at the moment, it's driving me mad ��