• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hearing voices or daydreaming?

G

glimmerofhope

I have wondered for years now what hearing voices is like? How do you know or become aware that you are hearing voices?

I have experienced a strange phenomena for my entire life that I am now wondering if it is considered "hearing voices." I have conversations in my head all day long with other people or sometimes I am just talking and they are listening or they are just talking and I am listening. Sometimes I get so into it that I catch myself talking to them under my breath and am afraid that someone will notice and think I am talking to myself. Sometimes I get so into it that I forget that it is all in my head or I don't remember what someone said in real life or what they only said in my head.

The problem is, no matter how hard I try, I just can't get it to turn off. I want all of the talking to just stop and shut up but it never does which is why I often can't sleep.

Is this just daydreaming or imagining situations or is this hearing voices? What is the difference?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can only speak from my own experiences, but the one occasion where I was "hearing voices", the voices are came from outside of my own mind. They were commanding, demeaning towards me and I didn't have any idea who the person was that was saying them.

What you're describing sounds more like a daydream, where you're imagining the other person in a conversation with you. I often have these mini role-playing day dreams in my own mind.
I have completely make up conversations with people in my own mind, and embarrassingly, I have a few times found myself mouthing the words i'm imagining myself say.

I hope you find that reassuring. What you experience sounds like it's fairly normal.

K

kmwt3

The voices and noises I hear come from outside my head. I hear children laughing / playing when I am all alone. I hear people walking around upstairs when I am all alone. I hear people whispering about killing / hurting me but when I look over there is no one there. I have full blown conversations with people that are apparently not there (I hallucinate as well). Those are some of my experiences and like what was posted, they are from the outside .. it's as if someone is actually there.

G

glimmerofhope

Thanks for your responses. That is reassuring. I think maybe mine is related to racing thoughts..? I just wish I could turn it off! I can't ever make it stop. Only once I take my Sublinox at bedtime and there is that brief period of time between the pill starting to work and falling asleep. That is the only time of day when I slow down and my mind is quiet. It is so amazing and peaceful.

SarahD

SarahD

When I hear voices they are outside of me, just like someone standing there talking to me but I can't see them. Sounds just like a real person. I have had a voice in my head at times previously, that didn't seem to be part of me or part of my thoughts. Sometimes there are several voices, it can be chaotic. Sometimes very upsetting.

When I have racing thoughts it is just a jumble,of thoughts, pictures, snatches of music and images all moving very fast that does not seem to be my thoughts.

I think with all these things people have different experiences, maybe it is never quite the same.

D

Dottyone

Hi Glimmerofhope,, it could be racing thoughts and stress, it depends and I am not a Dr, but if they dont sound as loud and as real as when someone is talking to you they maybe your own racing thoughts, they can be destressing also.:hug:

I would think lack of sleep could also contribute to them too.

I hear my Voices in my head, they tell me I am ugly, to walk in front of cars, and to hurt people or people will hurt me.

they are like hearing someone in a room but inside not through my ears, Stress and lack of sleep make them a lot worse, thankfully Quitiapine helps with sleep and reduces my Voices a lot.

Last edited:
dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

...you have a wonderful gift..

your visions are seeking your awesome skills to recognise them...

you have a gift...

an awesome gift...

do no be afraid