• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hearing Voices: My psychiatrist said "Tell me what you think would help you".

v01ce5

v01ce5

Hearing Voices: My psychiatrist said "Tell me what you think would help you".

Exrtract from Daily Mail article "The terrifying ordeal of a brilliant student who started hearing voices and then fell into the abyss of insanity"

Full article here

....I said I thought my medication was making the voices worse, and asked if I could stop taking it. But she insisted I had to continue.

When I admitted that I felt suicidal as a result of the way I was being bullied at college, she sent me back to hospital for a further seven week.

For the next four months I struggled on at university, as well as having another two brief psychiatric admissions. By the time the summer vacation arrived, I knew I could not carry on battling both against the voices and the cruelty of the students.

I returned home to my parents, my self-confidence totally destroyed.

My parents were wonderful - really supportive - but confused, because there was no history of mental illness in my family.

Over the course of the next few months, I was referred to the local psychiatric services in Bradford. My first appointment was with a male psychiatrist called Pat Bracken, who I later found out had worked with men and women tortured and raped in Uganda, and with child soldiers in Sierra Leone and Liberia.

He asked me why I had come to see him and I replied obediently: "I am 18 and I am a paranoid schizophrenic"."

Later on in my treatment, Pat told me he thought my answer was the saddest statement he had ever heard from a young girl - but at the time all he said was: "Tell me what you think would help you".

I asked him to reduce my medication. To my amazement, he agreed immediately.

We talked about the voices and he suggested I stop seeing them as a symptom of mental illness and start looking on them as a way of finding out about myself. This encouraged me to tell him about my first experience of the female voice.

Up until now everyone had treated me as if I was completely passive, but Pat showed me a way of helping myself to get better.

Over the course of the next seven months I saw Pat for regular weekly sessions, gradually reducing my medication until I stopped the drugs completely.

During this time, I discovered that if I engaged with the voices, they became less frequent. I also learnt to challenge the more threatening voice, refusing to do what it told me and telling myself it was no more than a symbol of my own externalised anger.

One by one the voices gradually disappeared, until I was only occasionally hearing one.

Three years on, I am healthy, happy and perfectly stable. Schizophrenia is a frightening and misleading label which stigmatises people. While the doctors insist I was schizophrenic, I don't know if the label really applied to me.

I think, like many young people leaving home for the very first time, I was stressed and unhappy. Going to university, and the lack of support there, tipped me over the edge. All I ever did was hear voices.

Now I have learned how to deal with them.

I am now studying for a doctorate in clinical psychology, as well as working on a medical team that helps teenagers suffering from the sudden onset of psychosis.

I often wonder what would have happened to me if I hadn't found a psychiatrist who understood how to treat me.

If I do hear a voice now, I am no longer frightened because I understand why it's happening. My mother's signal for knowing she's stressed is an attack of migraine. Mine is the voices.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Very interesting, thanks for posting that :).

I too became ill at university and started hearing the voices a year later - stress does make the voices worse as my psychologist and I have recently discussed. I was never bullied at university or college, but I was bullied at school and I'm convinced that helped bring on my symptoms after bottling the emotions up for several years. Engaging with the voices - I'll bring that up next time with my psychologist :).

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I hear voices when under stress, i've found it interesting to ask psychiatrists to define voices, i don't experience voices when theres no one around but "He experiences people talking about him in public places" thats what a psychiatrist wrote in a benefit support letter