• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hearing voices? Don’t assume that means schizophrenia

F

flatz

It's a common misconception.

However I believe there's many different types of what is called "voice hearing".

F

firemonkee57

How would you explain the different types?

F

flatz

How would you explain the different types?
Within the content

Someone diagnosed as schizophrenic may hear voices telling him how to kill himself.
A none diagnosed normal person may hear voices of a completely different nature. ie hearing his name called or hearing music. I think threre's many varibles in between too.
I know someone who hears none auditory sounds and they refer to them as voice hearing.

Last edited:
F

firemonkee57

I used to get bouts of internal dialogue,mostly at night, that was unconnected to my main train of thought. In simple terms lots of random phrases and sentences flashing through my brain. I don't think I have ever had a voice I could clearly distinguish as external.
It stopped soon after being on regular meds with the depot.

I sometimes wonder whether there is a spectrum of auditory experiences from distinct, complex external voices through to loud and/or intrusive thoughts.

F

flatz

There's been lots written surrounding voice hearing, alot I find hard to agree with. especially the medical model.

On a personal basis some of it I find to be telepathy or closely related to telepathy.

Kerome

Kerome

It's pretty clear that not everyone who hears voices suffers schizophrenia, or even is psychotic. For some it's a once in a great while experience where they hear the voice of a loved one.

I sometimes wonder whether there is a spectrum of auditory experiences from distinct, complex external voices through to loud and/or intrusive thoughts.
I'm sure that's true. I'm currently trying to ditch medication again, have reduced meds to 1.5 mg of Orap and am going through an adjustment period with occasionally hearing things and feeling things. Not the end of the world, even though I am sometimes catching sentences or fragments of sentences.

But I've experienced everything from external voices, internal voices, semi voices, but never yet intrusive thoughts.

There's been lots written surrounding voice hearing, alot I find hard to agree with. especially the medical model.

On a personal basis some of it I find to be telepathy or closely related to telepathy.
But telepathy with what? I considered this at length when I was psychotic, and the best I was able to come up with is that a lot of these interactions were either generated by the brain, or that you were interacting with beings from the consciousness world, some things with the level of intelligence of a dog, others of a smart human or even considerably brighter.

T

Topcat

I wonder where god talking to you fits in.
I once worked with a vicars son, and he told me god spoke to him. I asked if he meant for real, if he really heard him, and spoke back. He said yes.
I didn't push the topic, but wonder if he truly meant literally, as it sounded.

F

flatz

But telepathy with what? I considered this at length when I was psychotic, and the best I was able to come up with is that a lot of these interactions were either generated by the brain, or that you were interacting with beings from the consciousness world, some things with the level of intelligence of a dog, others of a smart human or even considerably brighter.

Telepathy with other people, a comunication of the minds, naibours keeping me from sleeping at night.

Kerome

Kerome

Telepathy with other people, a comunication of the minds, naibours keeping me from sleeping at night.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. My voices pretended for a while to be neighbours voices but I subtly double checked them, and they were talking complete rubbish, totally unrelated to what my neighbours were really thinking and doing.

Kerome

Kerome

I wonder where god talking to you fits in.
I once worked with a vicars son, and he told me god spoke to him. I asked if he meant for real, if he really heard him, and spoke back. He said yes.
I didn't push the topic, but wonder if he truly meant literally, as it sounded.
I don't know, it's a hard one. What is God, and why would he speak? My voices have sometimes said they were God, but without anything to back it up. Different voices at different times have done this. So I concluded they were playing only. I have talked to very intelligent things from higher up (literally, they manifest in the space above my head) which were small, like pieces of incandescent wire.

F

flatz

I'm pretty sure that's not true. My voices pretended for a while to be neighbours voices but I subtly double checked them, and they were talking complete rubbish, totally unrelated to what my neighbours were really thinking and doing.
This is the very reason why I noted earlier that voice hearing is variable, the telepathic voices I hear don't talk rubbish, they through accusations at me, accuse me of stuff, telapathy is a spot-on discription.

At the end of the daY you're within your rights to not believe in telepathy, you're not the first person by a long shot.

Last edited: