• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hearing Voices – Underpinnings of Auditory Hallucinations

A

Ainsworth

the international community for hearing voices,” says they have found that many people who hear voices “are not troubled by them or have found their own ways of coping with them outside of psychiatric care.” Those voice hearers who are “overwhelmed by the negative and disempowering aspects of the experience” are often diagnosed as schizophrenics — “a harmful and stigmatizing concept,” in the opinion of Intervoice.
interesting article

i had this from the doctor the other day, i heard voices as a child that overwhelmed me and made me do stuff and i still hear them now but because i can ignore them, not speak back or act on them its seen as ok and i dont need any help.

it very much seems quite (dont want to use the term but...) normal to hear voices and also can understand in times of lowness or trauma that the voices become worse as it does for me.

confused :confused: maybe the people who dont hear voices have something wrong with them :LOL:

dib4uk

dib4uk

interesting article

i had this from the doctor the other day, i heard voices as a child that overwhelmed me and made me do stuff and i still hear them now but because i can ignore them, not speak back or act on them its seen as ok and i dont need any help.

it very much seems quite (dont want to use the term but...) normal to hear voices and also can understand in times of lowness or trauma that the voices become worse as it does for me.

confused :confused: maybe the people who dont hear voices have something wrong with them :LOL:
Yes but its the type of voices and what you hear thats the problem. I told my psyciatrist that i dont hear the voice of god, but ........... the thing is that i find it scary to hear stuff that i dont/never used to hear... the only time i did was as a child but that was probably imaginary child.

Theres different types of voices i have, mine, theirs and my alters.- its theirs that i dont like. :scared:

For me its the seeing stuff that isnt there, that can be scary and that normally happens anytime during the day, i see someone walking then see them again.

Last edited:
A

Ainsworth

Yes but its the type of voices and what you hear thats the problem. I told my psyciatrist that i dont hear the voice of god, but ........... the thing is that i find it scary to hear stuff that i dont/never used to hear... the only time i did was as a child but that was probably imaginary child.

Theres different types of voices i have, mine, theirs and my alters.- its theirs that i dont like. :scared:

For me its the seeing stuff that isnt there, that can be scary and that normally happens anytime during the day, i see someone walking then see them again.
i suppose its different for me as the voices have always been there so use to them, as a child they scared the hell out of me, they were so loud, getting me to do things, i didnt understand it was something no one else heard or had. and i couldnt ignore them!

as for seeing things, i see shapes but nothing that bothers me, i put that down to my eyes playing tricks on me

i dont really care if the voices carry on, i can deal with them, they have been no way as bad as when i was a child so happy to have them around like they are now. maybe they might just stop. but to be scared by the voices is horrible and do understand that :hug:

dib4uk

dib4uk

i suppose its different for me as the voices have always been there so use to them, as a child they scared the hell out of me, they were so loud, getting me to do things, i didnt understand it was something no one else heard or had. and i couldnt ignore them!

as for seeing things, i see shapes but nothing that bothers me, i put that down to my eyes playing tricks on me

i dont really care if the voices carry on, i can deal with them, they have been no way as bad as when i was a child so happy to have them around like they are now. maybe they might just stop. but to be scared by the voices is horrible and do understand that :hug:
Yes it is rather distressing to be honest, and not something that I find normal in my life. Now im smelling stuff, which I told my psych doctor at my last appointment.

D

dlzoidberg

I also have 'smelling episodes'. Usually it's of food. Quite pleasant actually.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I have smelling episodes - they send me on a wobble - I find them very unsettling

KS

M

mizunderstood

I do too. But usually unpleasent smells. (and its not me.lol). Just recently I keep smelling urine on my Mum. Its coincided with my realisation that she pisses me off and tries to outdo me psychologically or trick me or thinks she knows me when she doesn't. She just wants me to be "Normal", but her version of normal doesn't fit mine unfortunately. Im to ecentric and clever for her. Actually I think she may even be jelous of me. I might inform her that she smells of piss. How bad am I slagging my own Mother off?? She has actually been there for me a hell of a lot in reality. I would miss her if she wasn't there for me. I am probably directing my anger at her because she is closest to me. Its probably me but I feel that she's made me dependant on her when I don't want to be. Im planning on going to Uni and live on my own independantly. Hopefully by next September I will be Stable enough to be able to handle the change. Fingers crossed.

Q

quigon

This is a most interesting line of discussion. I actually joined this site to see who I could help and learn from those on here and not because I have any MH problems because I don't. I have long wondered if the hearing voices and seeing things is, perhaps, an ability that we once had millenia ago and have just lost as we have evolved as a species. But this chat on smelling things has struck a chord with me. When I was 11 I was involved in a car accident where I suffered pretty serious brain damage. I was lucky and the only long term effect from it is that I lost my sense of smell. This still didn't stop me from becoming an aromatherapist 20 years ago though. Anyway, it is not uncommon for me to smell things. Sometimes I think I can smell my coffee but am never really sure. At other times though, I smell things that don't relate to where I am. For example I have been walking down a high street in Birmingham where I used to live and think I could smell the sea. Now, living in Portsmouth that wouldn't be so strange. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any research that has been done on hearing voices/seeing people etc to determine if they are anything other than creations of our own thought patterns?

R

rasselas

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any research that has been done on hearing voices/seeing people etc to determine if they are anything other than creations of our own thought patterns?
The Bible?

Seriously (and in respect of the fact that many people would actually consider the above answer as entirely serious) on this topic, you're free to roam.

I find the progressive, all-inclusive approach of people like Rufus May and Ron Coleman to be the most humane and - as they keep on showing - particularly effective approach to voice hearing, in terms of learning to live with it - as opposed to trying to zap into non-existence with toxic chemicals.

what you said about losing your sense of smell is interesting. As is widely known these days, the brain is an organ of plasticity (i think its about 1million new neural connections are made on average every second) and the loss of one sense can be compensated by the intensification of another.

your smelling the sea in Birmingham (my, how Brummies must dream for that!) meets the criteria of an hallucination - albeit a fleeting and not particularly distressing one.

in fact, hearing voices and having hallucinations and delusions and paranoias and suspicions is commonplace - its the intensity and duration and how you react that leads to problems.

it's pleasant too to encounter someone who isn't afraid to talk about these things, especially amongst the pathologised!
:)

R

rasselas

OH YEAH AFTERTHOUGHT:

and of course every time people sleep they slip in and out of schizophrenic realms...

Q

quigon

Thanks Mark. I have mentioned elsewhere on this site and to people directly what is the difference to people diagnosed as schizophrenic who hear voices and speak to imaginary friends and the so called "spiritually enlightened" who claim to hear God speaking and talk back to an invisible being? Truth is, the answer is nothing. Religion is a form of schizophrenia, for which Joan of Arc got burned at the stake. Same goes for all the clairvoyants and mystics.

F

FallenAngel7514

non-violent, non-commanding voices

Okay, for about three years now, (since I was 23) I have been hearing three voices consistently, day and night. They never try to get me to do anything, in fact, most of the time they don't talk to me at all, they just talk. Sort of like a constant Mystery Science 3000 experience, with my life and surroundings as the subject matter, but never in an insulting or demeaning manner. It hasn't really bothered me much, but lately I find myself laughing at the comments at inappropriate times (i.e. a funeral). I was looking for some advice on how to maybe minimize the disruption in my normal life. If that's even possible.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I did think about joining a hearing voices group, i've been diagnosed but i'm not sure on meds whether i hear voices, i asked a psychiatrist what the definition of hearing voices is and he said you winding me up which wasn't helpful, i pick up on conversations in public places, ear plugs or my mp3 player usually stops that, a lot of what i hear seems to relate to me, last psychiatrist said if you make yourself noticed you will get discussed

I sometimes feel they're out to chuck out into the wild as many as they can and using this recovery concept allows them to, when in fact recovery is not meaningful in terms of been able to support yourself independently

The women who runs the local voices group said it wasn't suitable as i'm not bothered by hearing voices, she was some mind normal worker and i felt just didn't want a potential disruptive influence

I'm so weird that i don't meet the criteria for a lot of mental health groups, i can't join the anti med ones because i take meds, most of those who take meds are not living as independently as me, particulatly those with the same diagnosis , schitzoprenia

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Yes it is rather distressing to be honest, and not something that I find normal in my life. Now im smelling stuff, which I told my psych doctor at my last appointment.

I too get smells but they are usually floral, but very diconcerting when no one else aroun you can smell them. When my pdoc heard of them i nwas sent for a brain scan and an eeg. To see if was epilepsy, cos its very normal
to get this just prior to an attack.

Both came back negative, which the doc expected, and said it is also a sign of a manic/depressive attack.:)