• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hearing random words / sentences in my head that aren't my thoughts

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I don't know what this is...

1. I sometimes hear random words or short sentences in my head. They're not in my voice, nor are they my own thoughts. They've come from outside my head, but not in the normal way you'd "hear" voices. Like, I'll be brushing my teeth and suddenly I'll hear "A$$hole" pop into my head. I look around. No, there's no one outside. No idea where that came from. Other times it'll be a sentence that makes no sense (to me), like "I'm worried about the envelopes." Ah...oooook. lol. These voices don't worry me. I just assume someone's nearby thought it or said it, and I've somehow tapped into it.

This one is a bit more disturbing to me...

2. Since childhood, my own thoughts sometimes go weird. The thoughts themselves are the same as what I would normally think, nothing angry, aggressive or negative (very neutral in fact, and mundane), but for some reason the voice changes and becomes a weird, very deep pseudo man-like voice that shouts every word so loudly, it literally makes me physically squeamish. I just try to ignore it and not think at all.

Are these things...anything?

J

Just trying to stay positive

Hi,
I’ve been in that situation before and if you ever need advice or to talk about it I’m here as I know sometimes it can be scary :)

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Thank you so much! They don't really scare me, but I just wonder what they are. I don't have psychosis, delusions, Schizophrenia or any Schizoeffective symptoms.

W

wellness

I don't know what this is...

1. I sometimes hear random words or short sentences in my head. They're not in my voice, nor are they my own thoughts. They've come from outside my head, but not in the normal way you'd "hear" voices. Like, I'll be brushing my teeth and suddenly I'll hear "A$$hole" pop into my head. I look around. No, there's no one outside. No idea where that came from. Other times it'll be a sentence that makes no sense (to me), like "I'm worried about the envelopes." Ah...oooook. lol. These voices don't worry me. I just assume someone's nearby thought it or said it, and I've somehow tapped into it.

This one is a bit more disturbing to me...

2. Since childhood, my own thoughts sometimes go weird. The thoughts themselves are the same as what I would normally think, nothing angry, aggressive or negative (very neutral in fact, and mundane), but for some reason the voice changes and becomes a weird, very deep pseudo man-like voice that shouts every word so loudly, it literally makes me physically squeamish. I just try to ignore it and not think at all.

Are these things...anything?
Looks like you are having an "ONSET" of the first episode of The Voices .... this is how they make their appearance .... they don't just burst forth wa wa wa mad as hatters that they actually are ..... they pop up their heads like moles in the ground one at a time !!!!!

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Well, I've had the yelling voice (that are my own thoughts but shouted in a weird distorted man voice) since mid-childhood.

The random other thoughts that pop into my head seemingly from an external source have been happening for about 10 years maybe?

J

Jazzrara

@stevie_sloth -
Don't panic because that might be as far as it goes considering the amount of time you have had this. When I first started hearing voices they were sentences of men and woman talking to each other in my head. Sometimes it sounded like they were arguing with one another and other times I would hear chanting. The sentences were broken and I couldn't always make out what was being said, but I heard the chanting word for word because it was just repeated over and over again like a stuck record.

Not long after hearing these things, I would then hear voices outside of my head. I was in the library the first time it happened and heard the words F***ing Die. There was one guy sat reading a book nearby and I just starred at him convinced he had just said this to me, but with his head in a book, I questioned it. I ended up thinking if he had said it then maybe there was just something wrong with him, so I ignored it.

This unfortunately started to become a common thing though and as well as voices, I started to have the odd visual hallucinations, so I'm told. I sometimes believe I have tapped into something not of this earth and all manner of weird things happen around me at times. I have a working diagnosis of schizoaffective/ depressive type. I have really bad depression at times and at other times I become very paranoid, have anxiety and hear and see things occasionally and it's like hell on earth for me. I don't function properly at times, is what I'm saying.

I wouldn't let it bother you if it's not concerning you too much. It might be worth mentioning this to your doctor if it is worrying you though, or if it interferes with your life in any way like it does mine. Might be best just to see what he says about it.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Thank you so much. I think I will.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@stevie_sloth, I get this happening to me sometimes, I'm so used to it now that a lot of the time it occurs I just relax, it's just my crazy brain trying to trick me into having a freak out. Medication has helped.