• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hearing noises/voices when well

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Hi,
not been here for a while and when I do it is to seek advice. Hope this is ok?

A couple of nights ago I heard a variety of noises. I was really really wired and couldn't sleep. I got up and heard voices/noises. I got spooked and sat and watched TV. Anyway, after the incident a couple of nights ago, it stopped once I eventually fell asleep and I put it down as a once off.

I spoke too soon .I can hear it all just now. It is like a radio that is not quite on channel. I know it is voices but they don't mean anything to me. They are not instructing me or anything, they are just there. It is like they are all talking quietly or far away and I can't make out what they are trying to say. I can hear noises like coughing and moving around. I tried sitting quietly and listening to see if I can make it out but I can't and it kinda spooked me to actually be trying to listen to them, like that is giving them more attention than they deserve. I sort of know it is not real but I can't help but feel it is ghosts. I know that is crazy and I don't really think it is ghosts but I am scared of being in the house alone (well, with kids) tonight cos I know then that I will be convinced it is ghosts and it will freak me.

I have been keeping really really busy (house is gleaming!) to try to ignore which kind of works but I can still hear.

I don't understand it, I am feeling fine, not high, down or anything. I put on my i pod but that freaked me cos I could hear it over the relaxation thing I had on it.

I know this is not psychoses cos I am nowhere near in a psychotic state and I have an awareness that the voices are not real and I know it is only me that can hear them. I looked it up on the net and it says it very unusual to hear voices when euthymic.

So, if it is nothing to do with the BP, what could it be? It is not tinnitus, I have had that and it is not like that sort of buzz, it is definately the chatter and movement of many people. I have had this twice before. The first time I was definately high and I didn't even question it. As far as I was concerned the voices were coming out of my car seat and they were perfectly normal. The second time was not so very long ago and again I accepted them as normal and when it was over I thought it was prob due to nitrazepam withdrawal or lack of sleep. But this is completely different. I know they are not real, unless they are ghosts, which I don't really believe but I know my imagination will start to work overtime once it gets dark.

Any ideas appreciated. I know I don't sound very well, but honestly, I am.

Happyhappy

lucid scream

lucid scream

hey hey happyhappy, i also hear voices all the time, very similar to what you describe, whisperings and hissings and barely audible voices. its worse at night with less ambient sounds. when i younger i used to believe i was hearing the voices of everyone within a 5 mile radius going at once, like i could actually hear them, in thier houses talking to each other about dinner and work and school and grammas bunyuns.
nothing has ever really helped me with that. its been going on for so long for me i hardly notice it anymore. but its there.

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Thanks Lucid,

have you ever mentioned them to your pdoc? I am reluctant to as he is medication happy, he would have me on max dose of everything.
I am a bit scared at the idea of them being there all the time.
Happyhappy

lucid scream

lucid scream

sure, ive mentioned them, thats when i decided ALL docs are med happy.
thats the answer i get every time. im actually very lucky in a strange way that ive heard voices for as long as i can remember, im just used to them, like if you live near a freeway or railroad you get used to the sounds of traffic. sometimes they get a little out of hand though. aside from meds, imo we have 2 choices: listen to them and drive ourselves batty trying to figure out what theyre saying and what they mean, or ignore them and try to keep busy doing other things.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Bipolar Forum 5