• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Healthy Recipe Thread

R

Rose19602

It's that time of year, when we all want to feel healthier and get a bit fitter, so I thought it might be nice to share some healthy recipes.

Anyone got any?

R

Rose19602

Sweetcorn & Red Pepper Chowder

1. Chop a large onion finely, dice 1 red pepper, crush 2 cloves garlic, dice 500kgs of sweet potato and 1 red chilli (or use a pinch of chilli flakes).
2. Sweat the onion until soft in some oil or butter, then add the garlic, red pepper, chilli and sweet potato and fry gently for 2 mins.
3. Add 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 bay leaves and 1.2 litres of vegetable stock (using 1 stock cube if you have no other stock - tastes just as good!)
4. Cook for 15 mins then add a large tin of sweetcorn and cook for a further 10 mins.
5. Pulse in a liquidiser or with a hand blender until thick, but still with some texture.
6. Eat with crusty wholemeal bread.

R

Rose19602

Oat, Nut and Berry/Fruit Bars:

Pre-set oven to approx. 180 degrees C.

Put 3 cups of jumbo oats, 1 cup of nuts (brazil, pecan, hazelnut, almonds are all good), 1 cup of seeds (pumpkin or similar) and 1 cup of berries (dried cranberries are nice) in a big mixing bowl.

Add 5 tablespoons of honey, 5 whole eggs and 3 tablespoons of olive oil (this replaces butter or fat) and mix together.

Line a shallow baking tin with baking parchment paper and rub over it with a little oil to stop the bars sticking to much.

Put the mixture in the tin and smooth.

Bake for about 15-20 mins.

Cut into slices whilst warm and cool on a wire rack.

Store in a tin for about 5 days max and eat between meals or for breakfast.

R

Rose19602

Moroccan Couscous

1 cup of couscous / 1 cup of boiling water
1/2 cup of chick peas
1/2 cup of dried fruit (apricots, sultanas)
1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts
large handful of raw spinach chopped
handful of herbs : mint, coriander, parsley - chopped
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
1/2 cucumber diced
a dozen cherry tomatoes halved
1 tablespoon cumin powder

dressing: juice of 1 lemon, honey to taste, black pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil - shake in a screw top jar.

Make the couscous according to packet instructions.
Allow to cool a little then add the cumin and mix through.
Add the vegetables, fruit and herbs and combine.
Add the dressing and mix through.

(serves about 10 and lasts for ages)

R

Rose19602

The only problem with those bars is cost! You need to find some cheap nuts and berries, or leftovers from Xmas if you can, or it can be pricey!

I know that the protein is high in the recipe, but the body needs protein in order to burn fat (I think!) or it will simply destroy important muscle.

shaky

shaky

Here's an easy one for everyone but especially for Brat Tomato

Doner Kebab

Ingredients:
Pitta bread
Doner meat
Salad
Chilli sauce

Method:
1. Go down the chip shop
2. Ask for a doner kebab with salad and chili sauce but no mayo
3. Pay for it
4. Bring it home

I know this sounds all wrong - but a kebab is a balanced meal
Protein in the meat
A couple of portions of vegetables in the salad
Carbs in the pitta bread (but not many)
Avoid the mayonnaise and the fat content ain't so high either.
Also have to avoid having the chips too :low: as that would be much too much fat and carbs and would not be healthy

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
Sweetcorn & Red Pepper Chowder

1. Chop a large onion finely, dice 1 red pepper, crush 2 cloves garlic, dice 500kgs of sweet potato and 1 red chilli (or use a pinch of chilli flakes).
2. Sweat the onion until soft in some oil or butter, then add the garlic, red pepper, chilli and sweet potato and fry gently for 2 mins.
3. Add 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 bay leaves and 1.2 litres of vegetable stock (using 1 stock cube if you have no other stock - tastes just as good!)
4. Cook for 15 mins then add a large tin of sweetcorn and cook for a further 10 mins.
5. Pulse in a liquidiser or with a hand blender until thick, but still with some texture.
6. Eat with crusty wholemeal bread.
500kg of sweet potato! are you trying to feed an actual army. the recipes sound yummy i will have to try them out this week. :)

R

Rose19602

I used 4-5 standard sweet potatoes....the sizes you get in a bag from the supermarket.

I'm not a metric girl....does that sound like far too much? ....I'll check the recipe!

It makes about 6 servings in a standard soup bowl.

It really is a delicious soup though, and you can use fresh sweetcorn if you choose...and they're on offer at the supermarket. Just cut off the kernels and place them in the pan when you add the garlic and red pepper.
x

R

Rose19602

I know this sounds all wrong - but a kebab is a balanced meal
Protein in the meat
A couple of portions of vegetables in the salad
Carbs in the pitta bread (but not many)
Avoid the mayonnaise and the fat content ain't so high either.
Also have to avoid having the chips too :low: as that would be much too much fat and carbs and would not be healthy

The ultimate ready meal.....yum!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jajingna Wellbeing 23
Tawny Wellbeing 15
Ramson mash Wellbeing 2