• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Healthy eating deemed a mental health disorder

Gajolene

Gajolene

Officials Declare
“Orthorexia nervosa is a label designated to those who are concerned about eating healthy. Characterized by disordered eating fueled by a desire for “clean” or “healthy” foods, those diagnosed with the condition are overly pre-occupied with the nutritional makeup of what they eat”.

pepecat

pepecat

Oh....I dunno.....

I have a friend who, when I first met her, was vegetarian, but ate fish.
Then she stopped eating fish
Then she stopped eating wheat
Now she's gone vegan
And raw food

There is nothing wrong with doing that, but in her case there is something a bit.....odd about it. She's always been fascinated with what other people eat for breakfast, how much fruit I eat, that sort of thing, and almost bewildered and appalled that other people enjoy things like chocolate or chips occasionally. That's not entirely clearly put, but definitely in her case it's not 'normal' healthy eating.
I have another friend who is a vegan, and has been for donkey's years, and doesn't make a song and dance about it (like the first friend), she just is, and it's no big deal, and she eats dark chocolate, and drinks coffee and has puddings....... That, to me is 'normal' healthy eating, rather than my first friend where it's become a bit of a 'thing' with her.
Personally I think it's about her getting older and the stuff that goes with that, but what do I know?!

Kerome

Kerome

If it's not a spoof I'd say it's a fine example of people being over enthusiastic creating new conditions, it's the same trend as you see in the new DSM 5 as well. I know a few people who are a bit strange in their eating habits, but to call it a mental disorder is to imply that it's something that you need to diagnose and treat, which to my mind is going a bit far.

I suppose you could argue that it might take the person into OCD territory if carried to an extreme, but then surely you'd call it OCD and treat for that, rather than creating a new condition. It's like saying that being fanatic about cleaning is a separate condition.

F

firemonkee57

I think it comes down to a question of degree . There is healthy eating and there is being fanatical about what you put in your mouth. The latter could see you adversely affecting your physical health and putting yourself at risk.
Whether it warrants a separate diagnosis is debatable. I agree that it might be covered by the O of OCD.