• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Healthy anxiety and PIP

S

Sophs50522

Hi all. I'm.sophie and I am 30 years old and suffer with awful health anxiety due to a wrong diagnosis going back in 2016. It has had long term affect on me where I self diagnose myself with terminal illnesses and huge OCD. I was diagnosed with PTSD due to the event but I found it very distressing ti continue with the therapy due to it reminding me of what I had been through. I am also unable to take medication because the fears of what medication is doing to my body
I have recently applied for PIP due to me coming to terms with the fact the isn't going away and I am.in desperate need of help. I've just had my report back and it looks as though I've scored 0. The assessor has out nothing but lies on there. I feel so stressed I Cant even begin to explain. Where do I even stand in all this ?? I feel like just giving up because they clearly don't understand the pain and suffer that I'm experiencing :(

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and :welcome: to the forum. They have strict conditions to get a score on it. For instance, you have to be able to prove that you can't walk more than 200 yards (metres) and that you need someone to wash you or cook a meal for you as you can't do it yourself. You look at yourself on your worst day and put that down. If you are outside their parameters they score you 0.

YOu can always appeal but look up on the internet the criteria they use and adjust your claim accordingly. You can find it easily enough. I'm afraid just because you are suffering, which I believe, they don't automatically take that into account on your claim. I am waiting to see if I get my PIP too and I am worried too.

S

Sophs50522

Hey calypso thank you for replying.
I am actually in shock that she scored me 0. Everything she has written is a pack of lies. She put that I was dressed appropriately and well presented. I was sat in my pyjamas and hadn't washed my hair in over a week. How can that possibly be well presented?
I'm so angry. How is she even employed is beyond me! I am really kicking my self now for not recording it. I was warned to do so!
I was tearful throughout the assessment and she put down I wasn't at all.
Do you have any idea how an appeal works? Would I need to go to a panel of judges?

I hope your outcome is better than mine 😔 x

M

Mr S

It isn’t fair like, but it’s cause there’s too many people out there who abuse the system. I’ve been off work for a month now and I do feel ready to go back, but I’m very fragile. I know people who have anxiety that are on pip, but they’ve got psychiatrists involved the lot. I could do with it if I’m honest, but I know I wouldn’t qualify.

I hope you get sorted.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
You have my sympathy they are horrible things to go thru but i think its easier to get PIP on physical grounds than MH. As Calypso says you have to put your very worst days down not how your feeling at the time you fill the form out

S

Sophs50522

I am extremely gutted to say the least. My mental health physically affects me. I Can't work because I have this constant fear of death. My mind is literally overthinking so much I can't even sit still most days and with 2 young children it's difficult. It's horrible. I Can't even explain how it feels and to be basically told nothing but lies on a report sends me into an even deeper hole. I have absolutely no faith in humanity anymore :( I'm going to try and appeal it but this doesn't help my situation at all. Just another 3 months of waiting!
I'm going to doctors to request they write me a letter and see the progress of my therapy referral as I'm.going to need someone to support me in this by the looks!
Thank you all for your replies. I greatly appreciate it

R

RR77

PIP is possible to get but it takes time where mental health is concerned. It's not easy but try and get your CAB to help you with a mandatory reconsideration and then if not you can still appeal and go through a tribunal. It is a long process but it is achievable dont give up!! If you can face getting support from citizens advice they can help and are trained to support with PIP

S

Sophs50522

Thank you RR77. I've already thought about given up 😔 I just have no willpower to fight something. Especially after being branded a liar practically!
I will try and Appeal but can't see it going anywhere. Will end up in a panel of judges that will make me feel even more uncomfortable and nervous that the first assessment. *sigh*
Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated!

R

RR77

Please keep going with it, it's a hard process but there is support out there to help through it. The assessments always lie I've seen comments like 'thin, but not underweight enough for ED' statements you would not believe. If you get to appeal it is fairer there are 3 people there who will listen and take as much medical evidence as you can and they will use it. I work supporting people and part of my work is with PIP and it's the hardest thing to get especially with mental health but you can do it, preserve and ask for help from CAB. You are entitled to it, keep going

S

Sophs50522

Thank you RR77. That has really helped. Looks like it's a challenging process for many. I will keep going and hope for the best. I will post back here with updates.
🤞

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Anxiety Forum 1
P Anxiety Forum 1
blog15 Anxiety Forum 1
C Anxiety Forum 16
VooDude985 Anxiety Forum 3