• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Health Worrier

B

Bluster101

Hi All. I’m 40, female and live with my lovely husband. Always been a worrier but the real mental suffering started a few years ago after I lost one parent to cancer, and have managed a few health emergencies for my other parent.

My problem is catastrophising over health symptoms. Mine and my loved ones. Whatever your complaint, I’ve googled it and decided it’s cancer within 30 mins. I don’t share my concern with you, but I will feel sick with worry. I will find a quiet spot to weep. Just heavy-heart-sadness as I run through what (I am sure) is going to happen. It can go on as long as the symptoms last (or longer) and it is exhausting. And a waste of life.

Does anyone else have this? Or have recovered from it?

J

Jolly

At present I am going through something very similar and it hurts. My tummy constantly on knots. Not eating much. This is exhausting and a complete waste of time, life and effort. The worst thing I bought was a heart Fitbit. Try not to Google things (easier said than done I know). I am not sure of the answer but therapy is helping me.

B

Bluster101

At present I am going through something very similar and it hurts. My tummy constantly on knots. Not eating much. This is exhausting and a complete waste of time, life and effort. The worst thing I bought was a heart Fitbit. Try not to Google things (easier said than done I know). I am not sure of the answer but therapy is helping me.
Hi Jolly. Yes the stomach knots.. have them right now. And I have a fit bit! I think I do need therapy. I’m glad it’s helping you.

Meandmedepression- thank you for your words. They are appreciated.

J

Jolly

No problem. You are not alone but be kind to yourself as well because that helps. I say tomorrow might be better. It gets me through the day when I feel weepy, anxious and all that goes with it.

B

Bluster101

No problem. You are not alone but be kind to yourself as well because that helps. I say tomorrow might be better. It gets me through the day when I feel weepy, anxious and all that goes with it.
Today is the first day I have confronted the reality that my way of thinking is not logical and normal. Up to now my internal narrative has been more ‘well we were lucky this time...’.
I’ll definitely try to bring more positive think in. Thanks Jolly.

J

Jolly

I have hid mine for so long but this time it took a hold. I sought therapy but it is hard going. I work in mental health and should no better but when it is happening to you, I am clueless. You are right as well about the way of thinking. Mine is the same. My legs are also like jelly. I can’t eat much and I need to put weight on. Try and be kind to yourself. You are not alone with this

Marrex

Marrex

Hi @Bluster101 ! It sounds like, to me anyways, what you're experience is indicative of being a Hypochondriac. According to centerforanxietydisorders.com , " Hypochondria is a mental health disorder. It usually starts in early adulthood and may show up after the person or someone they know has gone through an illness or after they've lost someone to a serious medical condition." Which heavily reminds me of what you described.

I used to suffer from something very similar, a little over a decade ago. So I doubt it was actual Hypochondria, but I was learning in Science class about diseases, and from there the spiral began. What I have learned from that experience is this: looking up symptoms, as suuuuuper tempting as I know it is, will only end in disaster. I know it's much, much easier said than done, but if at all possible try to avoid looking it up. Maybe leave it to your Doctor if you're exceptionally concerned. I did this, and every single time it ended up being actually nothing, save for once that I had a cold. lol

I hope this helps!!

B

Bluster101

Jolly it sounds like we are sharing a boat. I’m sorry you are suffering. Yes the jelly legs are very familiar to me. All the symptoms tend to peak at hormonal times. The hopelessness is exhausting.

Can I ask what type of therapy you are getting? Talking or CBT or something else? Must be even more frustrating if you work in the MH field. I’m just a google search expert 😬

Marrex, thanks for your reply. Yes it sounds related. My worry is mainly that a loved one is going to die. Hyperchondria by proxy maybe.

J

Jolly

First don’t Google like matrix said. I am having face to face therapy twice a week. Homework to do. We had to click first and we did thank goodness. Therapy yesterday was nice as we did sort of mindfulness which I do at home. It can be challenging. I had to find someone who I did not know as working where I work you know them all. I am past the hormonal side of it but it does not make it any easier. I decided to sort myself out that is why I went for therapy. Have you spoke to your doctor. It is even more difficult with covid. That is another issue I am battling with. I did not think I was until therapy but yes this time it worries me. We get tested twice a week at work. Please speak to your doctor or the nurse in the surgery. Sorry I am not more help bluster

B

Bluster101

Jolly, please do not apologise for not being enough help. You have helped me feel feel a whole lot better - about it being a real problem and about the possibility of moving forward proactively (even if it is challenging!). Thank you 🙏🏻
No I haven’t spoken to a doc. We never see the same person twice and getting an appointment with a doc rather than a nurse is a real challenge. I will definitely think about it.
Thank you for the therapy info.
Covid, yes I know what you mean. I’m glad they are testing you so regularly but I can really understand your anxiety. I have been through the same. I am a nightmare daughter who demands temp and o2 measurements at least once a day!!
I really wish you well for your therapy Jolly ❤

J

Jolly

Thank you bluster. Could you afford to go private at all. If not take a look on you tube for some mindfulness. I like muscle progression and the deep breathing. I am not saying it is a miracle but for a short while it can take you somewhere else and the more you practice the better you get. Hope this helps. Jolly

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Jolly.

The worst thing I bought was a heart Fitbit.

If that's the worst thing you're harping about, you're doing pretty good!

B

Bluster101

Thank you bluster. Could you afford to go private at all. If not take a look on you tube for some mindfulness. I like muscle progression and the deep breathing. I am not saying it is a miracle but for a short while it can take you somewhere else and the more you practice the better you get. Hope this helps. Jolly
Thank you for the reco. Private .. yes short term I could. Never heard of muscle progression and will look in to it. I have done some breathing / mindfullness but as you say it’s a frequency thing. I will step it up :)