• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Health care in US?

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
We have been offered the chance to move to the States and I wonder if any of the American members could give me some advice on health care. I think my OH's company have a scheme that we would be part of, but I am a bit worried about what support there would be for me. At the moment, I'm not long out of hospital and I see my psychiatrist quite regularly, as well as my CPN and psychologist. Perhaps by the time we move (if we decide to do that) I wouldn't need all that support but I would like to know that it would be available if I needed it (especially as the move itself could be a hard thing to do).

Any advice or thoughts gratefully received.

Rollinat

M

Martina

It depends on where you go. If you are moving near a city, you would have a lot of resources available to you that you don't have in smaller areas.

I lived in Atlanta, Georgia for 30 years. When I began seeing my Therapist and my Pdoc, I couldn't work and had no money, and was not on disability yet. I googled "free therapy Atlanta" and found there were a lot of low-cost options available. You can find a lot of support on a sliding fee scale. My Pdoc was through a local university and I received all of my medications for free-- and they would have cost 1000 dollars otherwise.

The United Way is a great resource. You can search for help of all kinds by area. You can do a search though the computer-- or if you are IN the states, by calling 211 from a land line.

Hope this helps.