• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Health anxiety

C

Cor1512

Hi was wondering if anyone could help so my health anxiety got at it’s worse in April the pandemic I started getting shortness of breath at the very end of my pregnancy which led me to hyperventilating all day every day made me more shortness of breath I have been to er so many times had chest X-rays bloods etc all normal I can go for a long walk not short of breath I can sit on the sofa and feel so short of breath chest pains upper back pain it’s awful I’ve tried citrophlam made me so much worse it got that bad at times I know the time of the day through shortness of breath

L

Leothecat

I used to suffer with health anxiety so I think I can understand some of what you are going through. I used to jump on the Internet and look up my symptoms and the worst diagnosis was always popping out at me! Very soon after, i'd find myself at the Dr's or hospital pleading for tests! I'd be convinced my health was in danger. Each and every time I'd get a once over- up to a full mot (depending on how upset and convinced I was😭) and everything would come back negative. My doctors were amazingly patient with me as I felt I was being a burden to them at times.
The best advice I took was to never look up my own symptoms online. I'd be straight on the phone to the Dr!! As I think most of the time I would need that reassurance from a medical professional before my anxiety could be eased.
I ended up studying Anatomy and physiology and for me, having this knowledge of what was happening inside, as well as gaining a respect for how amazing our bodies are worked a treat for my recovery. Each pain I could calm myself down so much more easily with the understand of what was happening in there.

You are not alone and I hope this helps in some way 👍

C

Cor1512

Thank you so much for the reply brings comfort knowing your not alone did you suffer any of the physical symptoms I do

C

chimmy

hello, i am feeling all the same symptoms as you. chest pressure, back pain, shortness of breath and i have been feeling all these since Jun last year. I am thinking its anxiety but i dont know. i am worried sick since i am constantly checking on the internet what i might be suffering from. I do have an appointment to get a chest xray next week.

C

Cor1512

hello, i am feeling all the same symptoms as you. chest pressure, back pain, shortness of breath and i have been feeling all these since Jun last year. I am thinking its anxiety but i dont know. i am worried sick since i am constantly checking on the internet what i might be suffering from. I do have an appointment to get a chest xray next week.
Hi sorry to hear your suffering to it’s such an awful battle it’s so hard to accept anxiety causes this but it really does the mind is so so powerful I had a chest X-ray was all clear Iv tried everything 😔 maybe try cbt treatment helps me a lot let me know how your chest X-ray goes please and good luck

C

Cor1512

The worse thing to do is google it always gives the worse and as a sufferer myself I’m sure I can make myself get all the symptoms 😩

C

chimmy

Hi, chest X-ray came back normal as my doctor expected. He is asking if I want to try a lung function test. I might go ahead with that just to get a peace of mind.
I know I start feeling the symptoms shortly after I read them about a specific illness. But I can’t seem to convince myself that It’s just all in my mind. Sound silly when I type it out now :(

C

Cor1512

Hi that’s great news 😊 I know I sometimes don’t get shortness of breath but it’s like I sit there and go I bet it comes on soon then I take deep breaths and it’s there do you smoke? Do you fine anything triggers your symptoms

C

Cor1512

No I get that i trying taking deep breaths when feel shortness of breath makes it worse 😞 lung function test actually I haven’t had that! Worth a go definitely