• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Health Anxiety (Skin Cancer?)

K

kelculator

I had a bump under my skin that looked like a cyst without an opening, but it seemed to have popped under the skin when I put pressure on it. It has been a while now, the area didn't spread but a bump still remained, and today I noticed it seemed inflamed as it hurts when I touch it. It has turned purple as well, and I made the grave mistake of googling if purple means anything, which of course led me down the path of worrying about skin cancer.
Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks for reading.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi ,welcome ,just to try and reassure you ,IF it is skin cancer-it can be quite easily treated these days in lots of instances ,my mum had it about 4 times
some carcinoma ,some melinoma ,i really suggest you see your gp but im sure its nothing to worry about
we will be here to support you whatever the case x Lu x

E

EclipticNight

Purple means swelling and or blood. It sounds like a small blood vessel popped or a little infection after a ganglion cyst burst. See a doctor if it's not gone in a few days or remains tender. Or any other changes other than it gets better. I'm not a doctor. :)

P

paws4thought

formerly Anxietyhell
I am not a doctor, but I have friends that have had skin cancer -but theirs wasn't as you have described.( Theirs were moles).. For peace of mind, see your Gp, its more likely harmless

K

kelculator

I see, thanks for the responses! I might go see a doctor because if it's a ruptured cyst I'd like to have it treated anyway. Trying to tell myself this is likely nothing major to worry about, since cysts do run in my family.

B

bebernipes

It could be a small cyst or lipoma or even an internal pimple. The fact that it has turned purple is probably due to the pressure you put on the spot.
Once, I squeezed a pimple on my nose very hard and I ended up looking like a puppy, with the tip of my nose all purple.
Talk to your dermatologist to get a diagnosis and the right treatment, if applicable.

K

kelculator

It could be a small cyst or lipoma or even an internal pimple. The fact that it has turned purple is probably due to the pressure you put on the spot.
Once, I squeezed a pimple on my nose very hard and I ended up looking like a puppy, with the tip of my nose all purple.
Talk to your dermatologist to get a diagnosis and the right treatment, if applicable.
I'm gonna go to the doctor the day after tomorrow, so I'm trying to stay calm. It's still purple, and I probably shouldn't have messed with it with pimple products because now the skin is a bit flaky. My mind went, "ok, THIS is cancer." But im trying to stay calm. Yikes.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I agree with other posters that it sounds like a ruptured cyst or boil and the purpleness is the blood under the skin.

K

kelculator

Update: The doc said it's an infection, and that it's normal to find stuff discolored if it has gone through trauma. Basically, "dude, trust me, experience" and just threw me out the office with some antibiotics