Health anxiety is taking over my rational mind

B

Baroquerw

I’ve never been one to have anxiety about health issues, but six months ago, my mother was in the hospital and almost lost her hand from a tiny splinter she got from a piece of firewood. She contracted some rare form of bacteria and went into sepsis. She had surgery after surgery to remove the infection and is finally starting to heal after a 5 month regimen of antibiotics.
That being said, ever since that happened to her, I am having debilitating anxiety attacks about my health. Thank god my husband can talk me down from a bad attack, but my normal rational brain has become overrun by this anxiety. It’s different from the anxiety I’ve always had, which I have learned to manage.
I have been to the doctor so many times in the last three months that it’s embarrassing. I swore I was septic from a tattoo I got. It was a rash from the lotion I was using. I swore I was having a heart attack. It was indigestion. I thought I had skin cancer. It was an ingrown hair. I am currently convinced I have appendicitis bc my lower left abdomen hurts.
I’m trying to find my rational thoughts in all of this. I feel like I’m losing myself to these fears.
A few months ago, I was taken off of anti anxiety meds in favor of a mod stabilizer. It’s been awful since then. My doctor is trying to help me find better med, but it’s trial and error. Right now I am using ativan to help. I try to only really take it at bed time when my anxiety is the worst, but I needed it now to get myself together.
I don’t know what to do anymore. I talk about it and it makes it worse.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Hello Baroquerw really sorry about your mother that sounds scary. Glad that your husband can talk you down.

In regards to talking about it I know what you mean. Its tough to know what to with mhi whether to ignore or what I call indulge in it. One thing for sure is that it is best to reduce the time that you think about it.

That said I have had a particularly tough number of months (well years really) and I am having to learn to reign it in. or as the counsellor says you need to park that! It is helping me as today I have been on a high anxiety just leave me alone or I will ….kind of day but its starting to reduce.

Meds is all well and good but I have found from experience that I have needed to change my thinking and also the reactions to stress. And to be more disciplined , mind you its all such a working progress.

buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz

I’ve never been one to have anxiety about health issues, but six months ago, my mother was in the hospital and almost lost her hand from a tiny splinter she got from a piece of firewood. She contracted some rare form of bacteria and went into sepsis. She had surgery after surgery to remove the infection and is finally starting to heal after a 5 month regimen of antibiotics.
That being said, ever since that happened to her, I am having debilitating anxiety attacks about my health. Thank god my husband can talk me down from a bad attack, but my normal rational brain has become overrun by this anxiety. It’s different from the anxiety I’ve always had, which I have learned to manage.
I have been to the doctor so many times in the last three months that it’s embarrassing. I swore I was septic from a tattoo I got. It was a rash from the lotion I was using. I swore I was having a heart attack. It was indigestion. I thought I had skin cancer. It was an ingrown hair. I am currently convinced I have appendicitis bc my lower left abdomen hurts.
I’m trying to find my rational thoughts in all of this. I feel like I’m losing myself to these fears.
A few months ago, I was taken off of anti anxiety meds in favor of a mod stabilizer. It’s been awful since then. My doctor is trying to help me find better med, but it’s trial and error. Right now I am using ativan to help. I try to only really take it at bed time when my anxiety is the worst, but I needed it now to get myself together.
I don’t know what to do anymore. I talk about it and it makes it worse.
My anxiety makes me feel horrible every day, about a week or two ago I thought I had brain cancer, a few days ago I thought I had diabetes and now I think I need a pacemaker. Anxiety about our health can cause a lot of stuff to go out of order in our head. The number one thing that I can tell you is that you are 100% not alone in your struggles, I take atarax for my anxiety and it doesn't really help, it just makes me tired. I've heard CBD gummies without THC are a great thing for anxiety as they do not make you high at all and the CBD is scientifically proven to help you calm down in regards to anxiety. I have yet to try them yet but I'm going to talk to my doctor about, if it's legal where you live I'd say talk to you doctor and maybe that could be the right solution. I really do understand what you're going through and both of us are going to be just fine. I wish you the best of luck and I'm always on the forum if you need to talk about something.

L

Laudanum

At least you know it's likely to be anxiety and not a health issue with a physical cause that's causing this. I'm not surprised you're feeling like that after what you've bee through.

My first bout of health anxiety occurred after I lost my father three years ago.

buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz

At least you know it's likely to be anxiety and not a health issue with a physical cause that's causing this. I'm not surprised you're feeling like that after what you've bee through.

My first bout of health anxiety occurred after I lost my father three years ago.
I actually don't know if it's my anxiety, my heart rate has been very low in the past few days and I'm extremely unsure.

L

Laudanum

You're seeing a cardiologist tomorrow, so hopefully he'll put your mind at rest. I'd be more concerned if your heart rate was very high.

buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz

You're seeing a cardiologist tomorrow, so hopefully he'll put your mind at rest. I'd be more concerned if your heart rate was very high.
My appointment is actually on the 24th so I'm freaking out thinking that I'm going to die before that. I'm going to the hospital later and I'm going to ask them to do an ecg or ekg to check my heart and if they say that I'm fine then I'm fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
buzzbuzz Anxiety Forum 19
H Anxiety Forum 13
R Anxiety Forum 1
J Anxiety Forum 3
C Anxiety Forum 2