• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Health Anxiety Episodes

A

Anxter

Last night, for the second time in 10 days, I got the feeling that I had a rock or something in my upper stomach pressing upward, tightness in my throat, and a slightly elevated heartbeat. That sent my anxiety skyward. After sleeping, my heart rate was back down to normal and the pressure was gone. Anybody else experience this?

M

MickeyJim

**raises hand.
I call it stomach curdling anxiety.

Next time it feels like that, a rock, imagine that rock being something lighter than a rock, even if a pebble is the best you can do.
The feeling of upwards pressure, could you in your mind imagine a more normal feeling, such as a nice balanced and calm stomach?
As for an elevated heart beat, visualise a favorite chill place, an open field in a forest, or a beech, or laying under a tree on a nice wam day.. something more peaceful.

The stomach feeling comes from the panic or stress, diaphragm tightens and that causes the upward feeling, we struggle to breathe because the diaphragm is tight.

So in practice from John Kabat Zin in a book called mindful meditation, suggests to think of more calming things, acknowledge the thoughts of panic, realise they are there, and gradually consciously think of better things. Our bodies react to our mind. Thoughts, memories, past, present and future.
The body also knows what is good and bad fir use, its called kinesiology I think.

But the quicker you can recognise the thoughts that cause the reaction, the quick you acknowledge, accept and change them.

A

Anxter

Thank you, MickeyJim. This is something worth trying.

M

MickeyJim

Thank you, MickeyJim. This is something worth trying.
We have nothing to lose by doing something different.

To repeat doing the same thing time and again and expecting different results, is the definition of insanity.

Be the one to break your own mould my friend.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

It’s not abnormal for anxiety to have roots in the stomach. If you think it’s anything serious get it checked out. Stomach issue are no joke. But anxiety and a churned up stomach are common.

M

MickeyJim

It’s not abnormal for anxiety to have roots in the stomach. If you think it’s anything serious get it checked out. Stomach issue are no joke. But anxiety and a churned up stomach are common.
My old mentor burned a whole through his stomach lining as a teen through anxiety. Thoughts have powerful effects on the body. That's why diet is so important, keep the body as healthy as you can, and balanced pH by eating good leafy foods too, because becoming highly acidic through fatty foods, mixed with anxiety can lead to such disorders as irritable bowel syndrome. He worried so much and ate so badly, his own stomach acid damaged his bowels.

We are what we eat folks.

T

Traveler5

Last night, for the second time in 10 days, I got the feeling that I had a rock or something in my upper stomach pressing upward, tightness in my throat, and a slightly elevated heartbeat. That sent my anxiety skyward. After sleeping, my heart rate was back down to normal and the pressure was gone. Anybody else experience this?
Sounds like symptoms of moderate to severe anxiety compounded by worry that in turn causes more anxiety.

K

KittenFriend

i have similar issues. My heart goes faster, i get diarrhea, i feel weak, that causes more anxiety and the symptoms get worse.

I guess the key is to get out of that circle. Talk to someone, a therapist, a doctor, someone close to you, get reassurance and do relaxation excercises. And of course confront fears. Its a little hard to do that when its about health, i mean, you cant get sick on purpose to see that nothing happens. But idk, just talk with people who experience the same and seeing you're not alone and others can live through that too could also be helpful

Currently wondering if there is anything natural that can help. I heard valerian is good to calm down and to help with sleep. Never tried it though.

M

MickeyJim

i have similar issues. My heart goes faster, i get diarrhea, i feel weak, that causes more anxiety and the symptoms get worse.

I guess the key is to get out of that circle. Talk to someone, a therapist, a doctor, someone close to you, get reassurance and do relaxation excercises. And of course confront fears. Its a little hard to do that when its about health, i mean, you cant get sick on purpose to see that nothing happens. But idk, just talk with people who experience the same and seeing you're not alone and others can live through that too could also be helpful

Currently wondering if there is anything natural that can help. I heard valerian is good to calm down and to help with sleep. Never tried it though.
You're on to a winner there.
Diet can completely change everything. We are what we eat. Unfortunately we're in a time where food isn't nourishing as it used to be, so there is an ever expanding supplement market. I've explored these markets and found some amazing products.
Biggest benefit I got was with smoothies.
Blended fresh fruit with some leafy greens like kale and spinach, a banana or 2, then add supplements like chia seeds, cacao, flax seed, wheatgrass.
That one shake contains more goodness than what most people have in a week.
Like I said, we start at the basics, what we put in ourselves, and the quality of it, isn't much different to the quality of oil needed for a complex machine.
Sure any oil or fuel will kind of keep things going, but they soon start braking down and problems keep on coming. Start from ground up with good quality fuel, your complex body and brain has the highest quality fuel to work with. In comparison to most folks, it makes me feel ahead of the day.

K

KittenFriend

You're on to a winner there.
Diet can completely change everything. We are what we eat. Unfortunately we're in a time where food isn't nourishing as it used to be, so there is an ever expanding supplement market. I've explored these markets and found some amazing products.
Biggest benefit I got was with smoothies.
Blended fresh fruit with some leafy greens like kale and spinach, a banana or 2, then add supplements like chia seeds, cacao, flax seed, wheatgrass.
That one shake contains more goodness than what most people have in a week.
Like I said, we start at the basics, what we put in ourselves, and the quality of it, isn't much different to the quality of oil needed for a complex machine.
Sure any oil or fuel will kind of keep things going, but they soon start braking down and problems keep on coming. Start from ground up with good quality fuel, your complex body and brain has the highest quality fuel to work with. In comparison to most folks, it makes me feel ahead of the day.
That sounds nice, i love smoothies and have a smoothie maker. I dont really like spinach though but i bet there is other things to add.

M

MickeyJim

That sounds nice, i love smoothies and have a smoothie maker. I dont really like spinach though but i bet there is other things to add.
If you don't like spinach, try kale, it's less of a bitter taste, but I can say, the bags of baby spinach leaves from supermarkets are alit less bitter than spinach as most know it. You'll never taste it with all those fruity good things anyhow :)